Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scooter's Adventures

Originally posted by peeweek9 View Post
    I read your posts over and cry and think these people do know, they do get it....our devotion to our k9d dogs brings us closer to them, on another level than most, maybe...I don't know for sure if that is true b/c I loved my other dogs all the same. But, as I once heard a mother of nine say when asked if she had a favorite child...she said yes, I have a favorite...my favorite is the one who needs me the most at that time.
    I think this is so true. Kinser, our non-diabetic boy, is a family dog but he's always been my boy. Decker was all dog. He never relied on the humans on his life for comfort. Not until after that dreadful day we left him overnight at his diagnosing vets 'to be regulated.' When John brought Decker home I had expected him to be beside himself with energy. Instead he came in and curled up on my lap in the corner and slept. There were many times over that next eight months he would wait for me to sit on the floor and come flop in my lap. We didn't know what was wrong at the time but knew he was not himself. As he struggled, there were many times I promised him that we would get him better and that nothing would every hurt him again.

When his mobility got bad I would lay with him on the living room floor until he was ready to go upstairs to bed. Then we'd go up the stairs together and I'd get him settled on the floor next to me. At some point during that time, Kinser stopped coming up stairs. He was no longer my dog but he was great and never once complained. It was like he understood. Decker had become my boy. He needed me. It was a side of him that had gone unknown for eight years.

Sometimes I think Decker understood the conflict I felt. He was our baby. Kinser was entering his senior years. With Decker, we lived a limited life of activity as he did not have the temperament to take to public places. But it never mattered. We just got creative in finding things we could do and places we could take the boys to run. We were a family.

Since Decker has passed, Kinser has been rewarded with going just about everywhere we can take him. He has the temperament to handle just about anything. We went to our first k9 - carnival a few weeks ago. Over 15,000 people in attendance. Many of which had at least one dog they'd brought as well. All in addition to the many rescue groups that were there as vendors. I don't think Kinser has ever sniffed so many butts in his entire life ! He was in his glory!

We waited in line along the road to park at the event. There were dogs walking up and down the road while we waited. We all immediately started talking about Decker and smiled at how he would have been going nuts at the sight of the first dog. We laughed when we talked about how we would have never been able to get the hatch of the vehicle opened without him escaping. What we discovered was though it was a place we never could have taken Decker, he was very much there with us in spirit. There were so many times that day we joked about how he would have reacted to different things. He was the main topic of much of our conversation that day. All the while, Kinser enjoyed being my boy once again.

Big hugs to you! Look forward to more Scooter stories when you are up to sharing.
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

• Re: Angel Scooter... August 31, 2013

Eileen... oh no. I am in shock as well and cannot imagine what you are going through. I'm so very sorry. I have only been able to make quick pit stops here recently and did not find out until just now.

I send, via Galway and Monaughan and northern California, my heartfelt sympathy and tears and a kiss skyward to Scooter.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Scooter's Adventures

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
        I think this is so true. Kinser, our non-diabetic boy, is a family dog but he's always been my boy. Decker was all dog. He never relied on the humans on his life for comfort. Not until after that dreadful day we left him overnight at his diagnosing vets 'to be regulated.' When John brought Decker home I had expected him to be beside himself with energy. Instead he came in and curled up on my lap in the corner and slept. There were many times over that next eight months he would wait for me to sit on the floor and come flop in my lap. We didn't know what was wrong at the time but knew he was not himself. As he struggled, there were many times I promised him that we would get him better and that nothing would every hurt him again.

When his mobility got bad I would lay with him on the living room floor until he was ready to go upstairs to bed. Then we'd go up the stairs together and I'd get him settled on the floor next to me. At some point during that time, Kinser stopped coming up stairs. He was no longer my dog but he was great and never once complained. It was like he understood. Decker had become my boy. He needed me. It was a side of him that had gone unknown for eight years.

Sometimes I think Decker understood the conflict I felt. He was our baby. Kinser was entering his senior years. With Decker, we lived a limited life of activity as he did not have the temperament to take to public places. But it never mattered. We just got creative in finding things we could do and places we could take the boys to run. We were a family.

Since Decker has passed, Kinser has been rewarded with going just about everywhere we can take him. He has the temperament to handle just about anything. We went to our first k9 - carnival a few weeks ago. Over 15,000 people in attendance. Many of which had at least one dog they'd brought as well. All in addition to the many rescue groups that were there as vendors. I don't think Kinser has ever sniffed so many butts in his entire life ! He was in his glory!

We waited in line along the road to park at the event. There were dogs walking up and down the road while we waited. We all immediately started talking about Decker and smiled at how he would have been going nuts at the sight of the first dog. We laughed when we talked about how we would have never been able to get the hatch of the vehicle opened without him escaping. What we discovered was though it was a place we never could have taken Decker, he was very much there with us in spirit. There were so many times that day we joked about how he would have reacted to different things. He was the main topic of much of our conversation that day. All the while, Kinser enjoyed being my boy once again.

Big hugs to you! Look forward to more Scooter stories when you are up to sharing.
        Momofdecker, this story was so wonderful. And made me laugh at the reference to 'dog greetings'...they really just know how to get to the point and get the introduction over...walk up, sniff somebody 'there' and it's over. They know everything they needed to know about each other at that moment...if people could only do the same (but it wouldn't probably be a good idea to do that unless you check first).

I hope my stories about Scooter inspire others to share their stories on his thread. I love reading every one of them and yours was wonderful. I have gotten so much joy out of all of our k9d family that have shared their stories here and it would be such a tribute to Scooter if everyone would share their stories when they feel like it. I think we all have a lot to say and we would love to read these stories. Everyone has a story. And, I do have so many more things to tell about Scooter and how we found one another, how we came together. And I can't wait to share them in the coming days. It is so cathartic to share with people who get it and care.

I had a feeling a few days ago when people started to share, that this was a really good thing...share, share, share. We all help one another with the daily managing the daily minutia, but we can also share all the stories as well. This will help everyone and give us an outlet....because frankly, does any one else care as much as the k9d family? I think not.

I wrote to Barb today and told her I've had a few moments where I felt like I was losing my mind with grief. They passed, but it comes in waves.

All of our kids are special and I hope to read all about them in Scooter's thread. I keep coming here because I find that it keeps me closer to him and opening your hearts has been a real life saver.

With kind regards, Momofdecker...what a wonderful story and great insight into your life.
        Last edited by peeweek9; 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM.
        Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
          Eileen... oh no. I am in shock as well and cannot imagine what you are going through. I'm so very sorry. I have only been able to make quick pit stops here recently and did not find out until just now.

I send, via Galway and Monaughan and northern California, my heartfelt sympathy and tears and a kiss skyward to Scooter.

Natalie
          Natalie thank you so much...I had thought about you the last couple of days....and about Chris and what an inspiration your stories and your experience with him had meant to me as I discovered k9d. Yours was the first story I read, but I didn't realize it was you and your Chris right away.

Eileen
          Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

Margaret, Mel, Riley & Mo, Bill & Otis....all of you....thank you so much. The level of pain in the gut is so hard. A friend just emailed me and she said:

Speaking from VAST experience, there is NO greater pain than losing your
            animal friend.....Nothing comes close, not even most people,
            actually....Love you, D

Can you tell why I love her so much?
            Last edited by peeweek9; 09-02-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Eileen, Sorry to hear about your loss of your sweet boy Scooter. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
              Hugs
              Vicki-Scoop, Raleigh, Archie and Gus' mom

Comment

Eileen,

I was asking a question about millet in another thread last week and you responded that I should read Scooter's thread to find out more info. Of course I had to read his story from the beginning. When I checked in the other day to see how he was doing, I was shocked to read that he was gone. I didn't reply then because I didn't know what to say. I still don't know what to say other than I am so sorry.

Maybe Scooter will get to meet my boy Boo at the bridge. I lost Boo three months ago so I know the pain you are feeling.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, Eileen.

Run free sweet little Scooter.

Carol

Comment

Just posting to say that you've been in my thoughts often over the past days. Your posts have been a moving tribute to Scooter. Sending lots of love and hugs your way...
                  Emily & Elliot
                  Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

Eileen,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Scooter. He was greeted at the Bridge by many, many dogs from this forum. He is free. Hold him in your heart and in your memories. They never really leave us.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

Originally posted by peeweek9 View Post
                      Margaret, Mel, Riley & Mo, Bill & Otis....all of you....thank you so much. The level of pain in the gut is so hard. A friend just emailed me and she said:

Speaking from VAST experience, there is NO greater pain than losing your
                      animal friend.....Nothing comes close, not even most people,
                      actually....Love you, D

Can you tell why I love her so much?
                      How wise your friend is. Perhaps I wonder it is because of the level of care that we give them, we never set them free, as we do children. We never have to prepare them for the world, and be dependent... as they will always be dependent upon us for all of their lives.

In addition, once they become diabetic or perhaps any health issue, they are that much more dependent upon us, if not for us, they would not survive. I think we disillussion ourselves and think we can fix anything... and are heartbroken when we can't. The funny thing is, that they go on each day... and live each day to it's fullest, and never worry about tomorrow.

Such a gift they give back.. Scooter was one special pup!!
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Soooo sorry for your loss of little Scooter. All the little things in your post are so true and cute. The things that give "our pup" their own special personality. Hope you remember those things, and treasure your buddy Scooter. Run free, little one, run free.

Jackie
                        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

i so sorry for your loss..i must have missed this, this weekend..i cant even wonder what you are feeling right now..just know that he is now in a better place and running all around..... he knows how much you loved him and he will never forget it..hang in there......
                          sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

Eileen,
                            I'm so very sorry for your loss. Loved reading through your post and your love for Scooter is so apparent. My heart goes out to you...
                            Patty
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Oh Eileen all I can do is cry right along with you. I am so very sorry.

Pam

Comment

I'm so sorry, its so hard, our diabetic doggies are so special, the loving the care, words can't express.

Dolly and Angel Niki

Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
                                X