Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finny the Tibby Corgi

Hi!

I joined this group recently and have found an abundance of great information, thanks to the wonderful members of this community.

Finny is a rescue dog, he was on the streets before being picked up by the pound and then getting saved from euthanasia by an animal rescue shop, only to be returned twice before coming home with us October 2014; he is 24 lbs and turning 5 this August. He was diagnosed with diabetes late February this year. When we took him to the vet, we were advised not to change his diet (Natural Balance L.I.D. lamb meal and brown rice) except for his treats, which now consist of frozen green beans to chicken.

He gets his shots twice a day with his food and was able to take the shots well before, but as of this month, he just wasn't having any of it and would do whatever it takes to run away, he just won't stay still. We warm the syringe beforehand, shot him bevel side up, distract him with treats or affection, we don't restrain him and try to get him as comfortable as possible and have tried giving him shots in his flanks and the neck scruff, but it's just getting harder and harder. Giving him a shot is a two person job that takes at least 30 mins. We want to be able to give him the shot alone since we may not always be around.

The only thing we have yet to try is the auto injector (Autoject 2) or a needle-less injector (Comfort-In or Zoepetjet). Is there anyone that has tried either types of injectors recently and if so, what are your thoughts? If there is any other advice you can share that would be great as well, like what works for you guys and also what treats you give your dog. Any help would be appreciated!
    Finny | Tibetan Spaniel/Corgi | 4 yrs old

Re: Finny the Tibby Corgi

Hi: sorry you are having problems. My dog had a spell where she didn't want the injection. She even nipped at my husband. So we muzzled her. The first few days she was so perplexed by the muzzle we were able to inject before she realized she was wearing it. After a week or 10 days she figured out that she had to suck it up.

One side of her body was more sensitive than the other so I quit injecting her on that side.

Do you have needle size options or are you using vetsulin?

A lot of people posted about inject ease in this thread http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthre...ht=inject+ease

Since many of them aren't posting her much anymore you could try sending them a message maybe.
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Welcome! Nice post.

I doubt the injections really hurt, but for some reason some pups fear them. Maybe do lots of fake injections with the needle covered?

I know I probably oozed fear when I started injecting, and blood testing. This may have caused my Annie to be restless. I learned not to hold my breath and to talk, sing or hum while testing / injecting to keep us both calm.

Which insulin are you using? If you are using Novolin-N (really any U-100 insulin) the U-100 syringes come in different sizes. I normally use the very thin 30, or 31 gauge needles. I also like the shorter 5/16" (8mm) length needles. Unfortunately, if you are using Vetsulin you are limited to syringe size.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I'm actually using Novolin-N as well with the 5/16" (8mm) length needles as well.

When he didn't try to run away at the beginning, I was calm and confident, but not so much anymore.

Thanks!

Comment

For some reason, the scruff was never comfortable for my dog. She would yelp whenever I tried the scruff and she rarely expressed pain. Plus, absorption in the scruff is not the best so the sides might be a better choice all the way around.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Come to think about it, Annie prefers the injection along her right side. She sometimes will twitch if I inject on her left side (might just be my poor technique on her left side)

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I started giving my boy his shots in his scruff, but after a while he started throwing a fit. He would yelp and cry and carry-on, and after a while he even started knawing on my arm as a "hey, I don't like this" warning. It got really bad when I went on a trip and left him in the care of my dad, so much so that my dad vowed he would never try to give him shots ever again.
              After doing some research, we made the switch to his sides along his rib cage and just behind his... I guess you would call it his arm pit area. Funny thing was he was ticklish there so it took me a while to get him use it to the point where he wasn't squirming. Anyway, he didn't even feel it when I eventually did get it in him.
              I know it's tough right now, but maybe you could try a couple of different places, to see if there's an area Finny doesn't mind getting poked.
              Best of luck to you!
              Audrey
              Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Funny, Finny prefers his right side as well. I will definitely try other locations and hopefully it works out.

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions and the support!

Comment

It's getting harder and harder... He tolerated the scruff for a little bit, but anytime I start tenting, he runs away. Same thing with the flank. It has been two days without insulin and I don't know what i can do.

Comment

I feel like the scruff is just not tolerable and might have started off on a bad foot with him. I would also do away with trying to tent - for me, it was awkward and it is just not necessary. What is necessary is to get some insulin in this dog. It may not be popular with him but you have to harden yourself a bit and decide that it is vital to keep him alive. It is not that uncomfortable for him and I think he might be bluffing you.

If you have help, you may have to make this a two person task. If it is only you, then you will have to corral him and put him in a position that he can not escape. With small dogs, some people use a sink, others corral a bigger dog to a place where they wedge them against a piece of furniture. If he bites, get a muzzle - hopefully eventually you won't need it. You need to practice handling your syringe so it isn't so awkward. You can use fruit and practice giving the shots. With the cap on, you can desensitize him to the syringe by touching it to him and rewarding him. You can do it several times a day. You can also practice lifting the skin without the syringe in hand, then gradually work with an empty syringe just touching it to him cap on. Reward a lot - whether praise or small bites of boiled chicken or green beans - whatever works.

You have to be firm and think about it as you would if he was a child - you have to do things with kids that they hate but have to be done. Trust me, you are not hurting him that much. You can turn this thing around.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                    X