Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

This is a great resource and I am so glad I found it.

Najid, Bichon Frisee
    24.5 pounds.
    Currently I have him on Zignature limited ingredient turkey grain and starch free food and I mix a little of Evangers grain free wet food with it to get him to eat it.
    Humulin N 4 units twice a day, usually 8 am and 8pm
    No Glucose monitoring at the moment.
    he is still feeling too tired for any form of exercise beyond short walks

He was diagnosed 6/19 and I just started the insulin a few days ago, He lost about 1 pound since he was diagnosed and he was skipping meals, since I started the new food he is eating full meals but he is more lethargic so I suspect that the insulin in not enough yet.

The vet's plan is to start with 4 units of insulin twice a day and adjust upwards till his symptoms have disappeared, he goes back to the vet next week for the first adjustment, she does not advice blood or urine testing.
    I am planning to do urine testing at least as soon as I get the supplies for that and I am still contemplating blood testing, even though I got a bayer contour device and tested on myself many many time to make sure that it is not really painful I am not not comfortable using it on him.

Comment

Ukulani is mixed terrier, mostly Wheaton, we think.
      30 lbs.
      Royal Canin Low Fat GI. supplemented with home made.
      on 10 U humulin N 2X day.
      AlphaTrak meter.

Comment

Originally posted by sherifi View Post
        This is a great resource and I am so glad I found it.

Najid, Bichon Frisee
        24.5 pounds.
        Currently I have him on Zignature limited ingredient turkey grain and starch free food and I mix a little of Evangers grain free wet food with it to get him to eat it.
        Humulin N 4 units twice a day, usually 8 am and 8pm
        No Glucose monitoring at the moment.
        he is still feeling too tired for any form of exercise beyond short walks

He was diagnosed 6/19 and I just started the insulin a few days ago, He lost about 1 pound since he was diagnosed and he was skipping meals, since I started the new food he is eating full meals but he is more lethargic so I suspect that the insulin in not enough yet.

The vet's plan is to start with 4 units of insulin twice a day and adjust upwards till his symptoms have disappeared, he goes back to the vet next week for the first adjustment, she does not advice blood or urine testing.
        I am planning to do urine testing at least as soon as I get the supplies for that and I am still contemplating blood testing, even though I got a bayer contour device and tested on myself many many time to make sure that it is not really painful I am not not comfortable using it on him.
        Welcome!
        I've copied the above post to "diabetes discussion - your dog" so that you will have your very own thread! I'm sure others will welcome you there.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you to the creator of this website and forum - it has been extremely helpful as I have started to navigate the world of dog diabetes.

Dog's name, breed: Rudy, Korean Jindo Dog, 13 years
          Diagnosed: July 3, 2012
          Dog's weight: 61 pounds
          Diet: Orijen adult, 1 cup/2x daly
          Insulin: Humulin n
          Number of units per injection and injections per day: will be 6 units twice a day, right now at 2 units.
          Brand of BG meter if home testing: Tbd - ordering from vet

Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyside View Post
            Hi,
            I'm new to the site.

Name: Cooky, 10.5 years old diagnoses 2/2010

Breed: Min Pin

Weight: 13.5 lb

Diet: Nutrisca chicken dry food + Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken can food

Insulin: Humulin N : 5 units 2x/day

Meter: AlphaTrak until now and planing to change due to difficult to get numbers with. Tried Reli-On for one day and it was very easy to use.

Other: Cataract surgery on one eye in 8/2010 and prosthetic eye on other eye same time due to glaucoma. Currently, became blind in 10/2010 and showed signs of glaucoma on existing eye. Vet ophthalmologist checking for eye pressure for further pain.

Yulia & Cooky
            How do you like the Nutrisca? I'm thinking of addinig it to my guy's diet.

Comment

Spaulding aka Papa
              8yr old Big Friendly White Lab (95 before...around 84-85 now)...looks good now, but a bit thin...like to have him around 86-88 range...

Diagnosed- Jan 2012
              Insulin- Humulin N
              Dose- 16 u's AM and 16 1/2 u's PM

Diet- Still working on this... but Hills W/D mixed with Wellness Core (about 2 1/2 cups total) and a cup of chopped boiled chix breast ... twice a day (AM and PM with Insulin)

Meter- Was using the Alpha Trak and recently got the Alpha Trak 2...have concerns... AT2 seems to read much higher than the old AT (see the link on that).

We are still having a hard time getting him regulated... but he's hanging in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaulding View Post
                How do you like the Nutrisca? I'm thinking of addinig it to my guy's diet.
                Cooky likes Nutrisca and I like the fact that it's Pea based not potato. However, my vet thinks that it has high fat value since Cooky has high cholesterol and wants me to change to Hill's diet which I am not willing to do so due to poor ingredients...other than that, we are happy with it.

Comment

Dozer

6 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Very lean at 72 lbs

Diagnosed 12/2011 turned over to rescue

I am his foster mom

2.5 cups Nutro grain free dry, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1/4 cup EVO canned or cottage cheese TWICE A DAY

NPH 11-13 u 2 x day
                  One Touch Ultra 2

Struggling to regulate

Comment

Jacque is a 10 year old Lab recently dx with Diabetes. Lost 11 lbs over 3-4 weeks and BG was 480. Started on NPH Insulin at 16 units q12 hrs. Weight 65 lbs. BG levels before eating 370-390. Insulin dose has been increased to 20 units q12 hrs. and monitoring BG.

Diet: Beneful Healthy Weight

Meter: Accu-Chek (use elbow pad with small coating of vaseline on pad).

Comment

Originally posted by Reedf3 View Post
                      Jacque is a 10 year old Lab recently dx with Diabetes. Lost 11 lbs over 3-4 weeks and BG was 480. Started on NPH Insulin at 16 units q12 hrs. Weight 65 lbs. BG levels before eating 370-390. Insulin dose has been increased to 20 units q12 hrs. and monitoring BG.

Diet: Beneful Healthy Weight

Meter: Accu-Chek (use elbow pad with small coating of vaseline on pad).
                      Welcome to the forum. Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy your post and make at thread just for Jacque. This way we can keep you / Jacque's information in one place.
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Darby - 10 year old Pom

Diagnosed July 12, 2011 BG 490 (also has Cushings)

Orignal insulin - Humulin N (switched at 19 units)
                        Current - Levemir 4.5 units 2x day

Meter - AlphaTrak

Diet - Originally Hills WD canned (6oz AM & PM)
                        Recently began refusing to eat so switched to homecooked or EVO grain-free

Blood Glucose not controlled, severe cataracts but still has some vision

Comment

my jesse has had allot of ups and downs good days and not so good but over time she improved where she mostly has good days

it is very difficult to get blood sugar to have an actual normal pattern very few are able to attain that so blood sugar is fluctuating quite a bit going up and down which probably doesnt feel good especially early on

over time they do get used to it and adapt and you will see more good days as time goes on sugar gets in a better range but it can take some time
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Jewels Jack Russell

Dog's weight:15lbs

Diet: Acana Pacifica kibble & Merrick low glycemic canned food (usually 1/4kibble 3/4 canned food)

Insulin: Caninsulin

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 2 units 2x a day(every 12
                            hours)

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Accu-check Compact Plus

Comment

my dog is on humelin what is the differences in different insulins?

I see others listed - are they all 12 hour insulins which I believe humelin to be since we give injections 2 x a day after a meal
                              Jake diagnosed with Diabetes 11-21-11 age 7

SO food perscription food

Comment

Glad to see I am not the only one confused --Thank you I only been on for about 3 weeks now and mostly reading trying to figure out who and what and many other things heck I did not know what BD was of W/C oh well it will come to me soon I hope. This site really gave me alot of support both in moral support and a great amout of information. In fact I really am confused on sending messages so I hope this works. I am going to start my PAL's picture so yawl can see how sweet he is. Hang in this is the place to be a great bunch of people and I like looking at the photos of the many hero dog out there. I keep hearing from people I see daily "I never knew a dog got diabetes"

Comment

Working...
                                X