Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Thanks for the info..oops dog vomiting..must go to DVM again..afterall..Fran
Old 08-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Suzie..10y.o...chihuahua...supposed to eat Hill's prescription W/D stew or pate..but refuses..Alphatrak with AlphaTrak strips (checked by Freestyle lite strips)... no exercise...A new charting system would be great since I use this somewhat confusing google doc that took me forever to understand with a cat with D.M. Thanks Fran...https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kSM/edit#gid=0
Old 08-28-2017, 09:04 AM

New to group.. Luigi 15 lbs. Trying to find how many units. Novolin N NPH using a U-100 syringe. Vet started on 1 unit, after 4 weeks just now to 5 units. as per postings most go by pounds BUT vet says that dosage is 0.2 units per kg. Very Very different from .25 to .5 per pound. Called Novolin 800 number, got no help due to the fact that it is not for use for canines, officially. Vet got upset that I was questioning dosage. Luigi has 3plus ketones, and BS over 450. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Hello

I also use Novolin N and my dog weighs 21 lbs. He gets 9 units every 12 hours. I think as a parent you have all the right to question anything you want. I'd suggest you find a vet that will work with you!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Name: Rocco
Weight: ~50 lbs.
Breed: Lab
Diagnosed at 9 years, 6 months. Currently hes 10 yrs/6 months
Insulin: Caninsulin
Dose: 8u . Twice a day.
Cataracts: Had surgery and lens implants in both eyes 8 months ago
Exercise: 4 times a day About 4 miles total. On weekends its a longer walk.
Diet: Home made: chicken, veggies, brown rice (check my YouTube channel for more info about the home made diet). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber
Meter: Pettest (Advocate) and Contour Next (Bayer). Checks before every meal.

As of right now we get very consistent curves, always on the 200-250 range. Our first vet almost sent him to heaven as he put Rocco on a 12 u dose, and he had so many hypoglycemia I dont even know how he made it through. As said, that was with our first vet. Switched and for the past 8 months all has been just fine. We travel a lot with him Europe-US, and pretty much live a regular life except that we have to give him shots twice a day "rain or shine". I dont think he has noticed any changes in his life except when he went blind, but he got surgery immediately and he went back to normal in no time. We have our lows, though, Im always worried as we had never had a dog with this condition before. We had to do a lot of research regarding meters, home made food and stuff like travelling abroad with insulin! were fine now. Thanks for letting me join this community, I learn with all of you!
Old 11-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read my post. My 10 year old Cairn Terrier (Sadie), was diagnosed with diabetes around 10 days ago with a glucose level of 432. I took her in because she suddenly began drinking tons of water and urinating inside. The vet started her on 4 units (vetsulin) twice a day then upped it to 5 units, twice a day almost immediately. After around 3 days of the 5 units, 2xper day, her glucose levels were around 150 which I was told "was great". Unfortunately, after a couple more days... she's back up to 450. I'm now wondering what the heck to do. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to discuss but I'm just wondering whether she was misdiagnosed and whether anyone else has run into a similar issue. She did also get diagnosed with a UTI and she's been on antibiotic's for 10 days and the frequent drinking and urination has diminished completely. I want to also add that around a month prior to the diabetes diagnosis, she did receive a prednisone shot for allergy symptom's. Again, wondering what other experiences may be useful. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 PM

My Dog: Winnie (Female, 12 year old, shih-tzu mix)
Weight: 25 pounds
Just diagnosed
Just switched to Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken
use Advocate pet test meter
Her blood sugar was between 640 and 450 when first diagnosed last week
It has gone down to 450 to 350 but all of the sudden she won't eat
Her kidneys are good according to blood test
Need any help anyone can give me or advice
She is on Vetsulin once a day/6 units (starting dose)

Last edited by Suzanne123; 12-05-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: forgot insulin info
Old 12-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Smile Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne123 View Post
My Dog: Winnie (Female, 12 year old, shih-tzu mix)
Weight: 25 pounds
Just diagnosed
Just switched to Blue Buffalo Adult Chicken
use Advocate pet test meter
Her blood sugar was between 640 and 450 when first diagnosed last week
It has gone down to 450 to 350 but all of the sudden she won't eat
Her kidneys are good according to blood test
Need any help anyone can give me or advice
She is on Vetsulin once a day/6 units (starting dose)
Hi Suzanne, and welcome!
My dog is also on Vetsulin and I use the same meter to test him. Hes on raw food and eats like a lion! do you have any particular question? if so, go ahead, were all here to help. Dont worry, diabetes can be managed, but youre gonna need some patience, it takes time to find the right dose. If youre home testing her youre already in the right track!
Old 01-23-2018, 03:38 PM

Hi
My Dog is GOJI. She was just newly diagnosed 10 days ago!
She's a Maltipoo 7 years 9 months
16.5 lbs
She gets 4 units 2x day of Vetsuin, this was just increased we started at 3 units 2x day
I feed her homage organic chicken, ground turkey with some veggies or whatever she will eat. Sometimes its all natural chicken and apple sausage, she's not a fan of brown rice or veggies ;( I give her some nonfat greek yogurt and or all natural chicken jerky for treats
I have only take her for professional glucose testing and her numbers are still over 500
I also put her on a supplement called Ocu-Glo recommended by a vet in Florida and put her on a liquid supplement 8 drops 2x a day call Blood Sugar Gold. It has great reviews!
Old 01-23-2018, 03:41 PM

Hi
My Maltipoo was just diagnosed 10 days ago and I am struggling with the food especially in the AM also. My vet just instructed me to give her the injection anyhow for now because he's so high in the 500s. I am beside myself from this whole thing. Im stressed and so sad and upset!