Angel Mochi December 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pray for mochi..

Thank you so much for the hope...I was told that iv is a lot better than sub q. But I asked my vet if I should bring him in for iv fluids and they said no since mochi doesn't seem like hes in a critical state even though his numbers are really high..

He threw up today after a fast walk because it started pouring rain on us..im so worried hes getting worse..he hasn't thrown up yet besides today...I dont understand what caused his pancreatitis..it seemed like it was building up and getting worse and worse since 2 or 3 weeks ago..and now hes lost interest in eating his breakfast..he only wants to eat chicken.. so my dad has to hand force feed him his dog food.. We've been injecting 60ml of fluids twice a day for him but it doesn't seem to be helping...today would be the 4th day he's on it..

Do you think I should just ask the vet to let him go on iv for 2 days and then continue on the sub q fluids after?

I'm still quite confused because he was still eating his meals fine until the day I brought him to the vet for iv on Monday. He has lost his appetite in the morning right after the hospitalization...
    Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
    Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
    Had cataract surgery June 2016.
    On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Some members said a specific type of food could cause pancreatitis for their dogs but in reality we truly dont know for sure like many things . Some dogs had pancreatitis that was chronic and happened quite a bit which helped in finding triggers that may cause it to flare up . Mochi may never see it again . Jesse only had it once I belive but who knows she could have had mild versions from time to time that could have been displayed by a loss of appetite that healed on its own
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Mochi has had severe pancreatitis when he was first diagnosed in 2016..We knew what the cause was during that time because I drastically changed his diet to a raw diet which his stomach couldn't handle.

I'm just very confused to why it's happening again 4 years later..when we've been very consistent with his food and insulin. He's been eating the same low fat diet for 3 years almost which is why i find it so strange .

He threw up yesterday after he ate and we went for a walk..Seems like this pancreatitis isn't going away..

My old vet said he needs to go on iv for at least 2 straight days because it's a lot better than sub q..but my new vet said iv and sub q are very similiar..I'm just so confused..
        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Throwing up white slimey stuff...

Mochi seems to be doing worse..I thought he was slowly doing better during the weekend but things took a turn..he ended up throwing up last night and then this morning he threw up again but it was thick white slimey phlegm like..he seemed to be doing a bit better in the evening when we went for a walk..but when he went to bed earlier he threw up this white slime again..

Can anyone tell me what this is? We've been on 5 days of sub q fluids now and it doesn't seem to be making him any better.. he's also on pain meds, antibiotics and gas medication called omeprazole.

I'm starting to really worry...
          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

They say if you had it once your prone to it again . Like I suggested it could be a mirror of things to set off the attack . It would be nice to know . Its possible Mochi got ahold of something not well for his digestion but its hard to say what that is .

Diabetics already have damaged a pancreas so it may not take much to flare up

My Jesse I believe had IV fluids while she was in hospital for 10 days

It may have took Jesse a month or longer to recover and she had a severe case

You have to watch the feeding . You may want something easy to digest and like a said I dont like force feeding and would like for a dog to naturally start eating again on their own .

Mochi should be fine but it can be a slow process to get back to normal
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

If Mochi just needs fluids without other medications added to the fluids, I don't see why you couldn't stay on the sub q fluids at home. The fluids are the same regardless if they are sub q or IV. Just administered differently. Sub q just takes a little more time to absorb.

I'd continue taking him to the vet for regular bloodwork while he is going through this pancreatitis so the vet can keep an eye on things. But if your vet thinks that sub q fluids are o.k. for him, I would stay on them so Mochi can be at home instead of being left at the vet since it causes him so much stress.

Comment

He seems to be doing so much worse today...last night he threw up his food and this morning and tonight he threw up bile like slimey white stuff..
                He sounds super gasy..as I keep hearing little burps..
                He won't even sleep right now because he's so uncomfortable...he's just been sitting down..

He is also on a acid medication called omeprazole and antibiotics called zeniquin and pain meds tramadol..

Its so painful seeing him go through this again...

I was told by my vet that sub q and iv doesn't make a big difference but then 2 other vets told me that he should be hospitalized getting iv for a few days because subq exits out of your system a lot faster..
                On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

If it does get worse hospitalization may be required . Mild cases can be managed at home with reduced food intake and withholding food altogether to give the pancreas a break . There is a point in the progression of the disease that home care is not enough

Most dogs recover from pancreatitis with the correct care even with more sever cases

If you feel your vet isn't giving the care that is needed a second opinion maybe helpful . You do have some experience with the disease so you have seen what has worked in the past that may give you a guide on what to do now

Comment

This time his pancreatitis is very different. He seemed to be still eating and acting ok even though I knew something was going on inside.
                    Since the beginning of November he seemed to not be as interested to eat even though he still finishes his entire meal. As severe as the bloodwork is shown for his pancreas he was still eating and had energy to play and go for walks.
                    But after the first vet visit when we left him in the hospital for a day last week for iv he totally flipped..and all the symptoms are showing more.

We haven't fasted him since my vet said not to because a diabetic dog needs to eat. My dad and I kept trying to make him eat his full meal..but now we're reducing it to half...I was going to take him to the hospital this morning for iv but hes fast asleep snoring so I didnt want to take him.

Should we be not giving him food at all during the middle of the day? Sometimes we give him a bit of chicken.
                    On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Thats not true . A diabetic dog can take insulin (reduced amount )without food . My jesse has done it for over 10 years and probably that has been the problem continuing to feed with an inflamed pancreas

Many vets are still not well versed in many aspects of diabetes

Comment

Thank you for letting me know that.
                        We will decrease his amount of food to just a little bit and not give him any chicken during the day..

My vet said he might go into Diabetic ketoacidosis if we don't give him any food.
                        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

That usually occurs with high blood sugar but if your managing blood sugar with a reduced does of insulin that should not be a problem . The concern is the pancreatitis which can be life threatening

Comment

He's still able to walk around the house and seems alert..

I don't know if it's all the medication given to him that's causing him to feel more sick.

Should we just be keeping everything to the minimum and not even walk him that much?
                            On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

He has a serious affliction so you would want to treat it so . Doing normal things when healthy may not be appropriate with pancreatitis . If it was jesse exercise would be pulled back . I think you can do some but the montra is all about healing . I think if you follow some tested and true protocols with the disease Mochi will be on his way back in a couple weeks but you dont want to let your guard down because relapse is possible .

You still would like to rethink what the trigger may have been and avoid in the future . sometimes you can narrow it down and may discover some things that may have contributed to the cause.

Comment

Thank you Jesse girl,

I've been going in circles trying to think what caused it..he had his bloodwork done in October and everything was good...

I think he might've picked something up off the ground or ate something he shouldn't have. He's been on the same low fat diet for 3 years.

The only thing that's different is we've been giving him a bit of dried chicken breast treats when we go for walks because he doesnt really like walking so we have to bribe him with it.
                                On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Working...
                                X