Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Diabetic Dog - Advice Please!

Hello,
    Our 4 year old Cairn Terrier was just diagnosed with diabetes. She is 9 pounds and very healthy prior to this diagnosis. We noticed that she was drinking A LOT of water and having accidents all over the house. Last Friday her glucose was 469 after blood testing at the vet. She started on 1 unit of Humulin both AM and PM, but today the vet increased it to 2 units AM and 1 unit PM. Ruby is still having accidents and drinking a lot. It's so upsetting to me knowing that she's not feeling well. Also, we've been making the "tent" to give her the injection and inserting it at a 45 degree angle, but each time she's still yelping a bit and squirming. I'm thinking we might try to give her a treat while we're doing the injection. I know we're new to this and it might take time to regulate her, but I can't stop worrying. Also, the Vet did not want to switch her food (currently Blue Buffalo Small Breed Adult) because of her weight. She's so small currently and she doesn't want her to lose any weight. If anyone can provide me with any reassurance that this is going to be okay I'd really appreciate it. Right now I'm feeling so overwhelmed and upset! Thank you.

Re: New Diabetic Dog - Advice Please!

Welcome to you and Ruby! I just have a quick minute and am sure others will respond soon. But to answer your question, yes, if Ruby is otherwise healthy, the diabetes is something that can be managed. Having said that, it may take lots of patience, persistence and a willingness to work through some trial and error periods as you work towards regulation. Just keep in mind that dogs tolerate higher blood glucose readings better than humans. There are lots of folks here that will support you along the way. Holli
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear Ruby is having trouble. You are now on 2 units of Humulin-N in the morning, which is pretty much the most common starting dosage for a dog her size. (0.2 units per pound is a common starting dose). Usually, we allow a few days to a week to permit the dose to settle in, and then consider adjustments - so you are pretty much on track!

Consistency is probably the thing to get into now. Same amount of insulin (I'm surprised the vet recommends 1/2 the dosage in the evening), feeding and injection time 12 hours apart, same amount of food at both meals (I use a kitchen food scale). Probably best to avoid between meal treats / snacks for now until you learn what treats won't affect Ruby's blood glucose (BG).

Read through this main web site, lots og good information. And remember that this disease can be managed. My Annie has been diabetic for nearly 5 years and is doing great.

I'm on the way out of the house, but I'm sure others will chat with you later this afternoon.

Welcome!
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Yes, yes, yes, give a treat with the shot! I always break up two cookies on a little plate and place it in front of my dog. He wasn't always cooperative, but he learned to associate the shot with cookies and now it's much easier.

It will be for you too.

Just make sure you always give the same amount and type of cookies with each shot.

I don't consider these cookies treats - they are necessary!

You are very early in the diagnosis, so it will take time to get Ruby regulated. I know you're scared and I was too, but it's almost five years my Pip has been diabetic too.

Pam

Comment

Welcome! We also have a cairn...Ruby is it itsy bitsy at 9 lbs!! Our fella weighs in at about 18.5 lbs....and he has lost weight before being diagnosed. It will be ok and with the help of people and here and your vet, you will get it all figured out.

Good luck and hang in there!!

Comment

Welcome...Our newfie was also diagnosed at 4 years old. This is the absolute best site for support and information. Words can't even explain how this group helped me last October when I was in a complete panic.

I knew nothing on how to manage diabetes but everyone was so patient with me and I in turn learned to be very very patient in regulating my big guys diabetes. It's been 5 months and though he is not completely regulated he is doing fine, is happy, eating well, taking walks and pretty much acting like his old self so yes, you will get there and it is easier than you probably think right now.

We are all here to support you not only with suggestions and information but with moral support because what you are feeling right now, all of us have felt at one time or another. Glad you found us, your well on your way to helping your little buddy.
            Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bre3annaB View Post
              Also, we've been making the "tent" to give her the injection and inserting it at a 45 degree angle, but each time she's still yelping a bit and squirming. I'm thinking we might try to give her a treat while we're doing the injection. I know we're new to this and it might take time to regulate her, but I can't stop worrying.
              I'm back from running errands and will address a few points.

Sounds like you are doing the injection right. One thing to consider is that cold insulin can sting. Most of us do store the insulin vial in the refrigerator, even though that's not really required (read the data sheet that comes with the insulin), so it can help if you get the insulin up to about body temperature before injecting. Pretty easy for you, you are only warming about 2 units! My technique, and everyone has their own, is to draw the insulin into the syringe, recap the syringe, and simply hold it in my fist for 30 - 45 seconds prior to injecting. Since we are talking about insulin, Humulin-N can be bought at Walmart for under $25. Much cheaper than other places. Most States / locals don't require a prescription for Humulin-N, or for syringes, but some do.

The "treat" during injection might be a good idea, keeps their mind off the injection!

I would guess few get regulated within a month or two, most take several months - or even longer. Important not to rush, take your time; the last thing you want to do is to give too much insulin.
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Treats with the shot is great and if you are going to home test (please try) it is worth it, then treats work great there too.

When I first started home testing Spirit would pull away and flinch every time I poked him. Then I introduced a "treat"....long story short, when spirit hears me open the strip bottle "click" and pull one out he comes running...sits right next to me and once the meter beeps...here comes the drool In case you didn't know newfies are world champion droolers. I then give him 1/4 of a prescription biscuit which is about the size of one of his pieces of kibble. Unfortunately, once the drool starts he has a tendency to shake when he stands up then I have to clean it off the ceiling.....LOL

There's lots of tricks others will tell you about for testing, shots ect.....The good news is that after about a month you will have the routine down and it will be second nature for both of you.....unless you have a min pin like glazbabe on this site who has the funniest stories about shot time I've ever heard. Keep a good sense of humor, stay patient and don't forget to let your dog be a dog. And as someone told me very early on don't tell the dog he has diabetes and he will never know.....LOL
                Last edited by jim maceri; 03-27-2012, 03:46 PM.
                Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Welcome to you and Ruby! Yay! Another Cairn! Mine is a mix...way longer legs but the rest of him is the same. Gotta love those terriers!

Glad you found us here...this is the best site on the planet to get all the info you could ever need! The folks here are so helpful...I don't know what I would have done without them!

Did your vet give you any idea why he might want you to do two different doses? Usually it ends up being either the same or very close dose during the day and night. Am curious as to what his thinking is.

You should start considering home blood testing as well. It's a great tool and really rather vital to keep track of where Ruby is and how to help her. There are a lot of great videos and topics on that.

I've a feeling that treating and warming up the insulin will help a whole lot with Ruby's shots. I usually just put the syringe in between my lips or under my arm to warm it...doesn't take long at all. What type of syringes are you using? We suggest a smuch smaller one than the one my vet gave us... a 31 guage 5/16 length syringe. It's very short and very tiny and hurts a lot less. Might try that if you aren't already. Just be sure to get the ones for U100 insulin.

There is a ton of info and you will feel overwhelmed for awhile but know that you can live with this disease and that Ruby can have a normal life, too! No worries...we'll hold your hand! Think we ALL hold each others hands a lot around here! Take care and welcome!
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Another "tricK' some here have used is to give fake injections. Get Ruby in the position you would normally be in, tent the skin, and then just touch the area with a capped syringe. Then give a lot of praise / hugs for being a good patient! Gets them used to being touched. This technique could also help when you try to home test her blood.

Comment

Welcome!!! Take a deep breath and try to relax, you'll get a ton of great information from everybody here, because we all felt the way you're feeling now!!!

The process of managing this bump in the road is to do lots of reading on the forum and have a TON of patience!!

It sounds like you're injecting correctly, but she might be a little sensitive in that area. Try to switch spots, to find an area that's more comfortable for her. My Tiggy does fine when I inject on her right side but will flinch occasionally when I do her left side. Sometimes they just don't like that particular area

Sandy

Comment

First, welcome! Glad you're here! I don't know a better place to be with your diabetic Cairn Terrier. My Kumbi says hi to your dog!

Next - is there some confusion about your dog's name? Is your dog Ruby? I get a feeling that our wonderful forum members have confused another new dog here (Ruby, whose DogMum is Tara) with your dog! I have a feeling one person called your dog Ruby, and after that, so did everybody else posting in your thread!

But maybe it's me; maybe I am confused!

However, I REALLY want to extend you the warmest possible welcome, and add that you've come to one of the finest forums I know on canine diabetes.

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:42:51 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                          First of all - thank you so much for your responses. I've truly been a bundle of nerves since her diagnosis last week and when I read your encouraging words on this website I started to cry a bit because it gives me hope that everything will be okay.

Yes, our dog is Ruby, and she's a Cairn Terrier. Ruby was named after Dorothy's ruby slippers from "The Wizard of Oz." She was rescued through the Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network in January 2011. They are pretty sure she was a puppy mill dog.

When I asked the Vet why Ruby was getting 2 units AM and only 1 unit PM she said she wanted to make sure we didn't give Ruby too much since she's so small. She said she's used this method for other small dogs and it worked well. I'm supposed to call her tomorrow night with an update and she might increase it to 2 units AM and 2 units PM. Also, I'll definitely try to warm up the insulin. I read here that cold insulin can sting. However, it seems as if she's jumping/fidgeting as soon as she feels the prick. We try to inject it very quickly but she runs away. Besides the neck area, is there anywhere else where the shot can be given that might not hurt as much? Maybe we just need to get used to a fidgety dog. We used a small treat to distract her and she still reacted this morning. I think the syringe is a 30 gauge, but I'm not completely sure. Maybe a smaller needle would be better.

Ruby is still drinking a fair amount (we think the drinking has decreased since last week, which may be promising). She slept through the night the last two nights and didn't have an accident inside. My husband and I both work so she's home alone for 8 hours. Today is her first day alone and of course I'm worrying about her. She goes in her crate when we're gone. She always seemed to like it and lays right down when I close the door. However, last week she had an accident every day and we had to give her a bath each time. I hate to think of her laying in her urine, so we bought a washable doggie diaper with inserts to help if she does have an accident. The Vet said it's okay for short-term use until we get her regulated on the insulin, but we don't always want to use it because I don't want her to get a bladder infection. Gosh - it's never easy.

Thank you again for your input and I'm happy I found this site!

Comment

Thank you so much for all the advice. It's nice to know someone else with a Cairn who is going through this!

Comment

Originally posted by Bre3annaB View Post
                              I think the syringe is a 30 gauge, but I'm not completely sure. Maybe a smaller needle would be better.
                              I'm currently using a 31 gauge syringe, but have used 30 gauge in the past. I doubt there is really much difference, but who knows?

It's probably just Ruby not being use to the routine. Try the "fake" injections a few times and see if she doesn't come around.

Good luck!
                              Last edited by CraigM; 03-28-2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X