Maggie is an angel today! June 20, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing Maggie

Jenny uses less Novolin than she did Humulin. So glad the cleaning went well!
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

i really dont know where we are on the novolin

we are giving more insulin but will wake up to some lower fasting not terribly low but in the 80s

it does seem like the absorption can be different at times whether that is the insulin or the body its hard to say

digestion also play a big part who knows how meals are digested from meal to meal i am sure its not the same an could be quite different at times for many reasons

as you know with a pattern showing a lower trend a reduction is a good idea and you sound like you have a good plan hope you see some improvement
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I think dropping back 1/2 unit sounds wise too.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Allergies .....ugh

So, last night, I was awakened at 2:30 am by Maggie shaking her head and scratching her right ear violently. She wears a comfy cone at night this time of the year. Her allergies have been rough(mine too) but for some reason, they flared up horribly. I grabbed some of the ear cleaner but her ear wasn't gunky at all- just looked like she had hacked it with a meat cleaver. I put some of her calming spray on the flap and sat up with her rubbing her little head.

This morning the vet said she had no sign of ear infection at all but he was really worried about the lesions from the scratching. He gave me a drop called Synotic Otic Solution. Anybody familiar with this? He told me not to use it for more than a few days and not to get it on my skin. Scary, huh? Her blood sugar has been perfect today 120, 123, and 127 so no side effect so far. He also wanted me to give her a temaril p just to get her past this flare up. She seems to be more comfortable now but I hate Temaril P.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hi Amy,

This is all I had found that made sense to me. Some of my results in searching, after reading what it contained, I still had no clue.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=10940

It appears to be some sort of topical steriod. I did not use this product, but a nystain product a few years ago on Abby for a fungus spot on the toe, and it didn't have any effect on her BG at all.

It must be some sort of allergy that Maggie has, that affected her ears.

Hope she feels better.

Barb
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Eating Dirt - What's up with this?

Maggie has started eating dirt - not poop - just plain old dirt by the mouthfuls. I catch her very time I let her out now. I noticed her licking at it before but now she is chowing down. I have mentioned it to the vet and he just laughed it off. I feel like it is a sign of something missing from her diet or a deficiency of some type. Anyone know why she might be doing this?
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Amy,

I believe that Judi's Jenny was eating dirt at one time.... Perhaps this will catch her eye, and she can comment.

Abby likes poop, not dirt....ugh
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

jesse really likes coyote poop does not touch domesticated dog poop and she likes fingernails

its more than likely something the body is craving and maybe not absorbing it through the food they are eating .

its unusual since maggie tends to be a picky eater

there are humane societies in the world that do eat dirt
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Jenny did this for about a week. She has never been a poo eater thank goodness.

In our case, she started getting healthier and needed more food! Jenny had been on the same food at the same weight for months and suddenly started losing weight. I think her system was feeling better and processing the food better but I upped her calories and she quit eating the dirt.

I felt so bad, my dogs were hungry

weird dogs! Judi
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I might increase her food. I am sure she will be thrilled! She seems to be much leaner - she is maybe down a pound and a half from this time last year.

Comment

Happy 13th Birthday to my Maggie

Happy Birthday, Maggie!!!!

My sweet Maggie is 13 years old tomorrow! I can't believe it - I never thought she would make it this long. Time really flies - just praying we can keep plugging along for a little longer.

Comment

Happy Birthday Maggie! I love how you've handled her issues. she is a doll. Judi

Comment

Happy birthday Maggie (little Diva)

You, ve done great with her Amy.

Mo
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Happy Birthday Maggie!
                              Hope you have a wonderful day.
                              Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Happy Birthday Maggie!! Hope you have a special day!
                                Mel
                                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X