Allergies to perscription foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies to perscription foods

Has anyone experienced their dog having an allergy to the perscription food? Jess will sit and scratch her mouth or rub her eye on the corner of her bed after eating w/d
    Claire, Paul & Jess - 11 y/o female staffy x ridgeback - diagnosed 06/14/2010 - 13.6 units of caninsulin x twice a day - eating a mix of vet & home cooked foods 'cuz she's fussy.

Re: Allergies to perscription foods

Any dog can be allergic to any food. If she is doing it right after the meal, it is a definite possibility. Corn is one of the main ingredients, and it is a very common allergen. Is there any ingredient listed on the can, that she has ever had an allergy to before? With dogs, they generally are not allergic to a food the first few times they are in contact with it, they take a bit of time to build up the allergic reaction.

Comment

Re: Allergies to perscription foods

Hi Claire,

I had Kumbi on a prescription food, but he had no trouble with it whatsoever. He also ate with great enthusiasm until he died unexpectedly, early in the morning of 8 June - right at his breakfast-time. If he hadn't died right then, I'm sure he would have eaten his breakfast.

(His death came as a surprise for me and my vets too, and my vets think the immediate cause of death was likely pulmonary embolism.)

Hope you're not too shocked by my continuing sense of humor; it's part of how I work with my grief. Anyway, I'd think allergies to various of the veterinary prescription diets could be quite common. Dogs are so individual! Kumbi (and Kwali, who died about seven months before Kumbi did) always ate with pleasure.

Allergies to food, of course, undoubtedly vary according to the various ingredients in the food. Wishing you luck!

Sun, 20 Jun 2010 06:56:25 (PDT)
      Last edited by CarolW; 06-20-2010, 07:04 AM. Reason: fix typos - pressed Post instead of Preview!
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Working...
      X