Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FERGY...Needing advice.

Hi all,

Two weeks after tweaking his diet/treats/supplements and increasing his insulin 1/4 unit, to 2.75 (approx.) on the 1/2 markings, here is the curve we did yesterday.

This curve is much flatter than his last curve of June 13 but the numbers are a bit higher than on 6-13, so...I'm thinking of increasing his insulin another 1/4 unit, to 3.0 and do some spot checks.

Comments, please?!

Fergy's numbers on 8-1-10:

Pre-meal
    05:30 AM......230
    08:00 AM......196
    10:00 AM......177
    12:00 PM......155
    14:00 PM......170
    16:00 PM......204
    17:30 PM......219
    Pre-meal

I'm still computer densed and can't do graphs...sorry.

Cheers

Harry & Fergy

Comment

Harry,
      I was searching back in your thread for the vitamin info to give someone else and saw your post.

That's a nice looking curve. Less than 100 point spread. Did you go with the increase? How did it go?

Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Harry, this is a great looking curve!!!

I'm with you Harry, I've always kept Mildred's records by charting exactly the way you posted the numbers.

I can 'see' the curve in this format better than I can when on a graph...odd but true.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Hi Harry,

Somehow I missed this post!! My apologies for seeming to ignore it.

That is such a beautiful curve! I fear that even 1/4 unit more insulin might be too much but the only way to know would be to try.

Another thing you can sometimes do is reduce the volume of food just a hair, especially if your dog is not too skinny.

But if this is the best you can get, holy cow - it's great! And Fergy will do great on this. So many dogs can't get anywhere close to these numbers.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Patty,

Well, presently Fergy is on his usual diet of chicken, barley and pumpkin, (our thanks to Eileen) supplemented with Berte's "Immune Blend" and Berte's "Green Blend" and lightened with one egg white. I did increase a 1/4 oz. each of chicken and pumpkin when increasing his insulin to 2.75 u. Oh, I still add two drops each of Milk Thistle, Vit. E and a small capsule of fish oil to his evening meal.

He presently is getting 3.0 u of Novolin N. I'm gonna give him another week before his next curve. His noon spot checks look pretty good...high 90's and low 100's.

His noon snack is a small amount of either chicken, beef steak, beef liver or low fat cheese. He likes 'em all but only gets one.

I appreciate your asking, Thank You.

Cheers

Harry & Fergy.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
              Harry, this is a great looking curve!!!

I'm with you Harry, I've always kept Mildred's records by charting exactly the way you posted the numbers.

I can 'see' the curve in this format better than I can when on a graph...odd but true.

Fergy thanks you as well, Eileen.

Boy, you have a very good eye. I think I'd like to see a line first and then check the numbers. My past occupation I guess.

Cheers

Harry & Fergy.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                Hi Harry,

Somehow I missed this post!! My apologies for seeming to ignore it.

That is such a beautiful curve! I fear that even 1/4 unit more insulin might be too much but the only way to know would be to try.

Another thing you can sometimes do is reduce the volume of food just a hair, especially if your dog is not too skinny.

But if this is the best you can get, holy cow - it's great! And Fergy will do great on this. So many dogs can't get anywhere close to these numbers.

Natalie
                Thanks Natalie.

Fergy did weigh 19 lbs. plus, before his diabetes...he now hovers around 15.6 lbs. and everyone, including his new vet, says he looks better. I have to say that I can now see he has a waistline whereas before he was pretty straight from the shoulders to his hips.

He could eat a lot more, other than his present diet, but it's not in the cards, I guess.

Cheers

Harry & Fergy.

Comment

That's great Harry!!!
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Harry,
                    How are you and Fergy doing?
                    Patty

Comment

Hi Patty,

Thank you for checkin' in on us. I believe Fergy is coming along fine and the only problem we have is...hunger. He is always eyeballing me for something to eat and of course he can't have it. He gets his morning and evening meals and a noontime chicken snack. Sometimes a bit of low fat cheese. He loves to "ride", so I take him in the car or the golf car and knock off some hrs. betwixt snack time and meal time.

His weight is holding pretty steady at 15.3 lbs. I did add a bit to each meal and had to increase the insulin as well. We'll be on this regimen till next weekend when we'll do another curve. Have been spot checking and it has been good.

We went in two days ago for his shots, drew blood for a full panel, also a urine culture. Waitng on the results.

Cheers

Comment

Harry,
                        That's good to hear. Keep us posted on how things come out. I bet Fergy loves the rides .

I know it's such a wait to dinner. Ali starts eyeing me a couple hours before it's time some days. I wonder if adding some psyllium husk powder would help him feel fuller? I've not tried it but have heard of others that have. Maybe they can chime in...just a thought.

Hope you both have a great day!
                        Patty

Comment

• Fergy: What's with these numbers?

I've been tweaking Fergy's meals by adding an ounce of animal organ meat or lean ground beef. The meat is broiled and I alternate the heart, kidney and ground beef. Fergy was switched from the Novolin to the Humulin with no problem.

I have been doing some spot checks at about 6 hrs. after the 6 AM injection and the readings have been in the low hundreds. I did the first curve with the Humulin yesterday and I'm a little bafflled by the numbers. Fergy has always had a bowl or saucer shaped curve...but this one yesterday...?

I'll do another in about a week. Would the different meats make a difference? I alternate the meats probably every three days.

Yesterday's curve...

Fasting pre-meal
                          05:30---266
                          08:00---216
                          10:00---155
                          12:00---196*
                          14:00---174
                          16:00---117
                          17:30---83*
                          Pre-meal.

I should have taken another reading on the 196 and the 83 but I lip prick Fergy, he has a small mouth and not much lip so I hate to stick him too much and I can only get enough blood from one side, or one lip.

The capillary action was perfect on all these strips, so, I don't know...

Cheers

Comment

• Re: Fergy: What's with these numbers?

I think those numbers look really good. Maybe just a little low at 83 - but really really good!
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

• Re: FERGY: What's with these numbers?

Here's your curve from June:

Fergy's numbers on 6-13-10:
                              Pre-meal
                              05:30 AM......211
                              08:00 AM......167
                              10:00 AM......93
                              12:00 PM......72
                              14:00 PM......104
                              16:00 PM......197
                              17:30 PM......208 Pre-meal

vs. yesterday's

Fasting pre-meal
                              05:30---266
                              08:00---216
                              10:00---155
                              12:00---196*
                              14:00---174
                              16:00---117
                              17:30---83*
                              Pre-meal.

Definitely much more of a bowl shape [in June]. But I assume that was when you weren't adding the organ meat. A change in the content of the diet can change the shape of the curve.

When did you switch to Humulin?

When did you add organ meat?

Is it only today that you got a higher reading at noon?

Off-days happen and there are so many different variables - weather, stress, activity level, exactly where the insulin got injected, how the food got digested... I don't worry about an off-day. Plus this curve looks a lot like the last one in terms of the range of the blood sugar.

I personally don't care what shape the curve is. Mountain, which is my personal favorite, bowl, or double-humped camel is okay with me as long as the blood sugar is in a good range the entire time. And this looks pretty darn good.

Natalie
                              Last edited by k9diabetes; 12-13-2010, 08:27 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

• Re: FERGY: What's with these numbers?

Wondering what happened after the 83 though if 17:30 is shot time.

Comment

Working...
                                X