Gaining Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just been diagnosed with Diabetes

I work at a dog boarding facility, and we don't give insulin either, even though most of us that work there have experience with diabetes. The reason is that the boss (she has diabetes herself) is afraid of dogs going hypo at night when no one is in the kennel. Dogs don't always act the same for the babysitter as they do for their owners at home, and the stress (for some dogs) and different activity schedules can really effect BGs. If you have to board her, it would probably be a good idea to board her with a vet, where they have someone in the kennel area with the dogs overnight.

If you really trust the kennel, and have no one else that could possibly stay at your house, ask if one of the workers there would be able to house sit for you. I house sit for friends and family, and wouldn't have a problem doing it for some of our clients at work.
    Last edited by ceruleanblue; 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM.
    Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Originally posted by ceruleanblue View Post
      I work at a dog boarding facility, and we don't give insulin either, even though most of us that work there have experience with diabetes. The reason is that the boss (she has diabetes herself) is afraid of dogs going hypo at night when no one is in the kennel. Dogs don't always act the same for the babysitter as they do for their owners at home, and the stress (for some dogs) and different activity schedules can really effect BGs. If you have to board her, it would probably be a good idea to board her with a vet, where they have someone in the kennel area with the dogs overnight.

If you really trust the kennel, and have no one else that could possibly stay at your house, ask if one of the workers there would be able to house sit for you.
      Always good to have both perspectives. That makes sense.

Tara
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Thank you for all the info. to my ? about insulin shots while at the kennel. I did find someone to go to the kennel and give her shots. Soooo, I guess that solves that problem. Kara has always been a good eater and likes it at the kennel so I don't think it should be a problem. BUT-- I will be worried about her anyway. As all of you know,no one can take care of them like "mommy." We will only be gone for 1 and 1/2 days!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dlbeall View Post
          Thank you for all the info. to my ? about insulin shots while at the kennel. I did find someone to go to the kennel and give her shots. Soooo, I guess that solves that problem. Kara has always been a good eater and likes it at the kennel so I don't think it should be a problem. BUT-- I will be worried about her anyway. As all of you know,no one can take care of them like "mommy." We will only be gone for 1 and 1/2 days!!
          Have you spoken to the kennel to make sure that's okay with them? Like I said, my boss's issue isn't with giving the shots, but with possible hypo episodes while no one's there.
          Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

lowering the dose by a small amount while she is boarded maybe a good idea anytime jesse enters something new i usually reduce her dose just to be safe better to be a bit higher than to go to low

inform kennel on how to treat low blood sugar and recognize the symptoms and inform dont do to much exercise and give them some liquid sugar and keep on hand

you might want to do some runs of shots with this person so your pup and you are comfortable on how its done and is administering the correct dose
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I agree with Jesse Girl on lowering the dose while she is at the kennel especially if she will be exercising with the other dogs.

I would also look at your syringes to be sure all of them have the zero mark sitting at the bottom of the syringe. Not sure if you have heard that sometimes the markings can be off by as much as a 1/2 unit.

Not sure what dose your dog is on, but if it is a small dose it could make a big difference.

Tara
              Tara in honor of Ruby.
              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
                I agree with Jesse Girl on lowering the dose while she is at the kennel especially if she will be exercising with the other dogs.

I would also look at your syringes to be sure all of them have the zero mark sitting at the bottom of the syringe. Not sure if you have heard that sometimes the markings can be off by as much as a 1/2 unit.

Not sure what dose your dog is on, but if it is a small dose it could make a big difference.

Tara
                Could I possibly pre-fill the syringes myself for the kennel. That way I'll know she is getting the correct amount. Also -- she is on 7 units Am and 5 units PM. If I lower them a bit, how much is ok? Thanks so much for your advice.

Comment

Missing a shot is never favorable, however in my opinion, if it's only a couple, that's better than the stress of somewhere unfamiliar (depends I think on the dog of course.)
                  I think a lot of people might say NEVER miss one but I know when I first found out my Jedi was diagnosed, I missed ONE time and was lambasted and told I shouldn't own a dog if I couldn't remember to do it. Haven't forgot since (it wasn't from people on this forum tho!)

As for stress...., my Yorkie does HORRIBLE anywhere except home. He goes spastic whenever he's not at home or at least with me. When the vet tried to do a curve a few times, he wasn't able due to how hyper Jedi was during the visits. His BG also elevates (over 600) whenever he's in unfamiliar surroundings even with his routine injections. He usually settles back down after a day or two back home.
                  As for me, if he can't get injections when needed, he doesn't go there. Since his diagnoses, I have altered my life so he never has to miss them, even if it means missing personal fun time. He's more important.

My husband and I had an overnite getaway planned for a few months. Now our little girl Kara was diagnosed with diabetes. The boarding kennel we take Kara too is awesome. They all have their own little decorated rooms, toddlerbeds, and TVs. The 1 downfall is they don't do insulin injections. I'm in a dilema. I disussed this with my Vet. and he said overnite and missing 1 or 2 shots isn't favorable but it can be done. I don't want to upset her and take her to a new kennel. She has been going here forever! However, can u tell me what kind of repercusions Kara will have if she misses 1 or 2 shots? Don't know what to do!!!!
                  Last edited by knarlyd; 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Could I possibly pre-fill the syringes myself for the kennel. That way I'll know she is getting the correct amount. Also -- she is on 7 units Am and 5 units PM. If I lower them a bit, how much is ok? Thanks so much for your advice.
                    My experience with syringes is that the insulin can break up inside the syringe, and because of the pressure in the syringe (no air) it's hard to mix it again. So, I wouldn't do that.

Just show the person giving the shots how to do it, and let go. It's not brain surgery and, if you trust them, they will get it done for you. I mean, you're not going to the Sahara, right? Just out of town for the evening? Phones work where you're going?

If you want to lower the dose as a precaution, I would drop by one unit.
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I would probably say the same as Cebe on lowering 1 unit. It's really hard to know. Some dogs run lower with more excitment, others higher due to stress (cortisol raises bg levels). But better to be safe then sorry.

I do know some people that prefill syringes if it's only a couple. You would want to store them needle end up so the crystals don't clog the needle (like carefully in a glass). And be sure they are rolled to mix the settled insulin before injecting. You'd also want to have a back up in case a syringe was dropped, etc.

Glad you were able to find someone to come in for shots. Skipping a few can cause higher bgs. Sustained high blood sugar can cause ketones to build up in the system which can become deadly.

Does the kennel have a video monitor at night? I just ask because I remember one kennel we used before Ali was diabetic that sounds like the one you describe. They had a video to monitor at night even. Was nice to have people watching the pups.

I would be sure they know what to do if there's a low blood sugar event. Might tape a bottle of honey or syrup outside her kennel for fast access.
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

!st Curve Done

Kara, my 11 year old 18 lb. Cairn terrier had her 1st curve done this past Mon. When she was diagnosed 3 weeks ago her blood glucose levels were in the 700s. At that time, she was put on insulin 7units am and 5units pm after meals.
                        Today her readings were still very high. They would not come down lower than 500. My vet upt her insulin 4 units in the am and 4 units in the pm. He said we are no where near where we want to be. I have given her that dose for the last 2 days. She seems to be handling it ok. I have my Karo syrup on hand just in case. I've been watching her like a hawk. I have never had a diabetic dog before, so I'm not sure if this is too big of a jump at 1 time. I know high glucose numbers can be just as harmful and low glucose.
                        I am just feeling very comfortable with giving the insulin shots, but I am seriously thinking about getting my own glucose meter. It doesn't look all that hard. I think maybe that would make me worry less too.Thanks for listening, Deb Karas mom.

Comment

Re: !st Curve Done

Deb, I highly recommend getting a meter. It's well worth it. And it is easy, once you figure it out.

a 4 unit increase is massive, in my opinion. Do you know what glucose numbers the vet received?

If the numbers the vet got were excessively high, then I would raise by 2 units, morning and night, then wait a few days, test (at home), then increase only one unit at a time thereafter.

Yes, you need to address the high blood sugar, especially if it is extremely high (700 is extremely high), but you don't want to cause the exact opposit problem. You've got a small dog, and I think that might be too much at once.

Just my view on it. I would go a little more slowly - but not too slowly.
                          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

what do you recommend as a good glucose meter to buy? Thanks, Debbie

Comment

I recommend the alphatrak for animals, and if you want to get a human meter, I recommend one touch ultra and the nova max plus.

Comment

A 4 unit increase in an 18lb dog is quite large! I personally would not increase this much, even if bgs are over 500. The average starting dose for a dog Kara's size is around 4 units twice a day.

As Cebe said, I wouldn't do more than 2 units and that's pushing it IMO.

Can you get the blood sugar results/times from the vet's office and post them here?

As far as a meter, my favorite is the One Touch Ultra2. You can find them on Amazon for about $20 including shipping. Test strips can be purchased on ebay cheaper for around 50 cents a strip (just watch for factory sealed boxes and good expiration dates).

Most people like the larger lancets such as 25 or 26 guage. My favorite if testing the lip area were the AccuChek Softclix.

Here are some great videos on the different areas you can test http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

Patty
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X