Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to forum, looking for suggestions

Yay!! Way to go Jim!! Believe me, and I'm sure others will agree, when you're home testing, it gives you so much more peace of mind!! Not to mention no stress for spirit!

Sandy

Comment

I have found home testing to be vital with my dog, and my pocket book!

My vets were a little resistant - because I think they thought I would change doses on my own and over-adjust too soon and too fast. But I don't. I only change doses with their approval. Now that might not be forever, but while I'm regulating my dog, I'm getting dosing approval from the vet. At some point, I can see myself making adjustments on my own, but only after I learn better to read my dog's curves and to understand the rhythm of her diabetes.
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

My wife and I are having a REALLY rough night....it all seems to be hitting home. Spirit is my second Newfie and the first one had TPLO surgery on both knees at 4 and 5 yrs old only to die from a mass (cancer) at 6. I wish there where some words I could say to my wife to make her feel more at ease. It is just all so much so fast. We've never been able to have children so our pets have been our "fur children" and having the luxury of working at home for the last 6 years means he is with us always and our travels, plans visits with relatives always revolved around our boy.

She is not ready to begin reading the forum yet so I printed her off some of your stories and posts of encouragement and just handed them to her. I think we're going to take a couple of exedrin PM curl up under the blanket and just call it a day.......thanks everyone!

Jim, MJ and Spirit bear
        Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

If it makes you feel better, I was devastated by Zoe's diagnosis in the beginning, just horrified. But my mom had a diabetic cat so I knew she would survive. Still it was awful, overwhelming, and terrifying in the beginning. But now it's old hat, easy breezy. I am still concerned for my dog but so much more relaxed. and this forum was a lifesaver for me.

In all honesty, I was all up my dog's butt for a month or two trying to get her regulated as soon as possible, but my cat's illness over the summer moved Zoe down the priority ladder and lo and behold she survived not being my main focus (and probably thanked the cat for it) and I've kept that attitude. So try not to get trapped in the idea that regulating your dog is mission one in your life, relax and take it very slowly.

You guys are going to get through this just fine and your dog will do great. It's a manageable chronic disease, that's all.

Relax tonight and check back in when you're ready. All the best.
          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Jim,

I'm sorry that you and your wife are having such a hard time with this diabetes diagnoses.
            While it is a horrible disease, it is very manageable.

Several months after Mildred was dx with diabetes I had a cat that was having issues. My vet called me and told me that he "only had diabetes", which was true, and I was thankful for that.

Diabetes is quite manageable and altho the initial shock can leave one thinking the worse, it is really ok, they can be fine with the correct treatment.

Mildred has lived a long and happy life with the disease for 7 years now, unfortunately she now has bladder cancer so it will be that that takes her life, not her diabetes.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Hang in there Jim and Jim's wife! I went through the emotional roller coaster this summer and right now we are on a pretty even keel diabetes-wise and I ask myself "who was that person?"

You should have your wife read Harley's thread. Shirley really had a tough time and had no clue how she would cope and now Harley is a big boy and they are maintaining fine.

We all understand because we've all been there but trust me, it gets easier. My Jenny has even lost her eyesight due to cataracts and it is no longer freaking me out (she has always handled it just fine)

hugs, Judi

Originally posted by jim maceri View Post
              My wife and I are having a REALLY rough night....it all seems to be hitting home. Spirit is my second Newfie and the first one had TPLO surgery on both knees at 4 and 5 yrs old only to die from a mass (cancer) at 6. I wish there where some words I could say to my wife to make her feel more at ease. It is just all so much so fast. We've never been able to have children so our pets have been our "fur children" and having the luxury of working at home for the last 6 years means he is with us always and our travels, plans visits with relatives always revolved around our boy.

She is not ready to begin reading the forum yet so I printed her off some of your stories and posts of encouragement and just handed them to her. I think we're going to take a couple of exedrin PM curl up under the blanket and just call it a day.......thanks everyone!

Jim, MJ and Spirit bear
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Just got an email from my breeder.....

In the last 5 months Spirit has had the following symptoms:

Refusal to eat food (especially in the morning) and vomit (a yellowish bile)
                This didn't happen all the time but at least a dozen times in 5 months.

Diarrhea- his morning stools seemed to be somewhat firm but his afternoon stool was always loose and seemed to be thin, yellow and greasy. This has been going on for at least 5 months

Depression and Lethargy- Spirit seems to like to lay down alot more in the last 5 months. He used to follow me everywhere, especially to the kitchen. Now he doesn't always get up and follow.

Pain- I wondered why Spirit would sit off in a corner at times and simply and quietly whimper. I thought it was because he is a bit spoiled and wanted my attention. My breeder said they are "noble" dogs and try to hide pain but whimpering can be a sign of discomfort and pain.

I may be going thru denial here but my breeder "castaways kennel" just isn't sold on the dx of diabetes yet. She has asked me to really check into accute pancreatitis and the symptoms I told her about seem to fit the profile. She also said (and I don't know if it is true) but accute pancreatitis will affect the output of insulan and give higher BG readings. As I said before, Spirits 3 test for BG where:

284, taken 2 hours after eating.
                283, taken 2 hours after eating.
                261, today at the vet without eating breakfast and after 7 days of being on Hills prescription WD.

I will admit that I did give him some table scraps....fatty part of my steak, an occasional fig newton, a piece of my pizza crust ect....I know shame on me but that was the norm growing up with dogs at my house. Now I know better of course.

So many opinions can make your head spin......breeders suggestion was to continue with the food for another week and start testing the BG at home to see if it continues to reduce. I was under the impression that we needed to get things started right away to avoid other issues such as catarachts (sp). She insists that the readings I have gotten are not off the chart and no reason for panic. She also said I could get an ultrasound to see if the pancreas is inflamed....Love to hear from all of you.
                Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

maybe pancreatitis is a possibility

your vet may have checked that already but if not you may look into it
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

There is a blood test to check for simmering pancreatitis so you certainly could have that done. I am a big fan of covering all of the diagnostic bases if you can afford it. A Cushing's test is another diagnostic to consider, though if the rest of his bloodwork is good that might not be very likely.

Our cat a few months ago was just "off" - no real specific symptoms until she started to lose weight. We did bloodwork and it didn't really show anything. So we had x-rays done and that hinted at colitis. So then had an abdominal ultrasound done, which confirmed the inflamed bowel. Put her on Flagyl and she's doing much much better. Buit it took a lot of expensive looking to identify the cause.

I think a good abdominal ultrasound is always a good tool as well. Something you could consider.

Spirit's blood sugar is only mildly elevated.

But we also know, from your testing two months ago, that diabetes, if it's present, has been caught early. A lot of dogs don't get diagnosed until they have had high blood sugar for months. At these glucose levels, he probably wouldn't have been drinking and urinating excessively. So if he hadn't gotten an infection, he might have gone several more months before something showed up to alert you to the problem.

I'm not sure if I hope it is or isn't! - Some potential problems seem a lot worse to me than *just diabetes.

Our dog was diagnosed at 9.5 years of age and lived to be 14.5, which is quite old for a dog his size. He was a complete mutt but weighed about 65 pounds.

His diabetes was a breeze compared to his heart problems. He eventually racked up a half dozen different heart problems - arrhythmias, enlarged heart, premature ventricular contractions, a leaky valve... And then got cancer.

Dogs not only don't die of diabetes as long as it's well managed, but they lead whatever turns out to be a normal lifespan for them. Really the biggest adjustments to be made are by their humans, who have to get used to a more regimented schedule.

http://aboutvetmed.com/2010/11/13/ho...a-tragic-tale/

Natalie

Comment

The pancreas is the organ in the body that produces insulin. One of the main complications of acute pancreatitis in dogs is that the Endocrine portion of the pancreas ( the part that produces insulin) fails and stops producing...ie high blood sugar. Some articles that I have read have said that once the pancreatitis is cleared up then it starts functioning again normally......so maybe....

Sandy

Comment

Jim, MJ and Spirit...

Whether it is diabetes or pancreatitis (Abby has experienced in both), it is the thought of Spirit being sick that is making this a hard time. I know the feeling, you feel helpless and just want them to feel better.

With some testing and a good vet, you will find the problem, and then because we love them so much, we will do whatever it takes to make them better.

Sending warm hugs your way.
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

The vet will be calling today to give me the results of a "TOTAL HEALTH PLUS & TRIGLYCERIDES" blood work. When he calls, based on what he says, we are going to ask for an ultrasound to look at the pancreas and see if it is inflamed.

Since I have the resources to exhaust all possibilities I think this is a good choice since spirit has exhibited the symptoms of Pancreatitis. After all, the bottom line is we want to get to the bottom of this no matter what.

I have my ultra 2 meter and strips being shipped today, picked up Ketostix from the pharmacy and watched all the wonderful videos on how to test the BG. I AM READY!!! New day, New outlook.

Starting tomorrow I will try and get a BG curve started. I'm thinking of testing 6 times a day to start....once before his morning meal and then every two hours until his evening feeding and then again 3x in the evening.

I'm also going to ask the vet that IF we begin insulin therapy we do this at home to keep the stress low on my buddy AND myself.

Comment

sounds like you are ALL SET!!!!
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by jim maceri View Post
                              I'm also going to ask the vet that IF we begin insulin therapy we do this at home to keep the stress low on my buddy AND myself.
                              Right because stress can cause his bg to rise, so having him home would logically give you more accurate results.

Jim, it surely is a new day for you guys. I was worried about you yesterday but I'm so glad to see your renewed energy!!

Comment

Jim, and MJ too,

I'm REALLY thrilled with you for going ahead with this. It seems to me a good idea to run the blood test for pancreatitis; that would give you more information. And ultrasound never hurts!

Have a look at this page:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/diabasics.php

Note the heading, a bit down the page:

"Diabetes? YAY!"

Well, I didn't, myself, feel "Yay" right away. Naturally. I was just like everybody else here. Sad, overwhelmed, not knowing how I would manage. Actually, I didn't join here till more than a year after Kumbi was diagnosed - didn't need to, because my vets are SO good, so helpful.

I believe yours is, too; I get the feeling you have a good vet; my only concern is waiting till 2 November to start insulin. I'd think you could get a start on the insulin because you (will) have a consistent, reliable meter, even though it's for humans; it will still show trends.

If it were me, I'd talk this over with the vet, and likely, use Natalie's suggestion of 1/5 of a unit per pound of dog, for a starting dose. That would likely be very safe.

My vets also took Kumbi in for three days, actually, twice, to get him under way with the insulin. He was on Novolin-NPH. That insulin did very well for him, all his life (he died of cancer, not diabetes).

But Kumbi was started on insulin right away. On the other hand, we didn't catch his diabetes as early as you caught Spirit's.

My guess is, by the time you're ready for the motorhome trip, you'll be fairly stable with Spirit's diabetes.

About breeders - hey; I'm familiar with breeder attitudes. It's hard for them to accept something they didn't expect, and have no experience of. The breeder is not to blame for Spirit having diabetes; it's the sort of thing a breeder would be worrying about, naturally! My understanding is that diabetes can be heritable, but it can also arise for other reasons. It's good that your breeder is interested, but I hope she can divest herself of any idea that she's to blame for Spirit contracting diabetes.

I'll be checking in on your thread; please keep us posted!

Lots of love, hugs, licks and wags,
                                Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:31:06 (PDT)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X