Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snickers' story

thats a difficult question to answer

pancreatitis is very serious and if you catch it early thats a very good thing

i think it hurts to eat and drink and actually when my jesse had it there was no food or water for 3 days but received IV fluids

i do believe in fasting a dog for 24 hours with digestive issues .it could be something that he can get over without a vets intervention or it could be something more serious just dont know

hope snickers gets better soon
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

my non-diabetic dog had a bout of this a few weeks ago but he was drinking and eating. I couldn't reach the vet to get some of the stop diarrhea medication so I found some slippery elm capsules at a health food store (human). I googled for dosage, put it on his food, and he got over it

We did the 24 hour no food thing first

Is she listless? I would stick with the no eating but see if you can tempt her to drink.
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I might also think about giving probiotics to get the gut flora back to normal? There are many types, but this is the one Annie seems to like the taste. Annie is a small dog, so I give ½ packet at each meal. I don't think there are dosage recommendations on the box, so you might want a full packet to get the probiotics started. https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortif...dog+probiotics You can probably get this, or other brands, at any pet store.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Ok - after one heck of a day she appears to be completely normal this morning and has her appetite back and even drank some water!

I have no idea what happened to her - I've never seen her have such stomach issues - I'm going to have to sanitize my entire first floor. My big concern is that there didn't seem to be anything that brought it on.

Will definitely be looking at those probiotics since she was so sick.

Thanks for keeping me calm!
          Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

glad snickers is doing better
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Just a quick update on Snickers. Last month she reached both her 2nd Sugarversary and her 17th birthday!

As if that wasn't enough my son got married last week and she had to spend a night at the kennel. Snickers hasn't been kenneled since her diagnosis but she came through with flying colors. She loves the kennel and the kennel owner so it was not stressful for her and the caretaker was grateful to see her again.

Otherwise, she is doing well (except for the loss of vision and hearing) and seems pretty happy.

I'm trying to include a picture of Snickers in the snow the morning of the wedding but I don't see it in the preview. Needless to say, she's one of the few that enjoys this weather!
              Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

congratulations on the 2 year milestone and the 17th birthday wow

weddings are so much fun especially when they are a child of yours .

keep up the good work

Comment

Congratulations to you and Snickers. 17 years is amazing!
                  Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                  Diabetes: Aug 2013
                  Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                  Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Help! I accidentally gave my dog too much insulin!

I just gave Snickers too much insulin. She didn't eat her breakfast so I gave her half a dose. Went for her walk, she came in, ate her food and then instead of giving her the last half of her dose I gave her a full dose. She normally gets 8 and she got a total of 12 this morning!

Her BG was really high this morning but I can't believe I did this. I just gave her a bunch of extra chicken and an alpo snap but what's my best strategy now. Give her extra food now and or later? Give syrup now and or later?

How often should I test her? Every hour? Half hour? I'm just sick that I spaced off like this. Please Help!

Comment

Re: Help! I accidentally gave my dog too much insulin!

Just keep your Karo syrup or honey handy. I'd check her hourly for the next few hours & keep a close eye on her behaviors. She should be ok, under your close monitoring.
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thanks, I just tried to get some Karo into her by putting it on her gums but she was not excited about that at all. I think most of it is in her beard.

Comment

This happened to me before. I also forgot a few times and even injected myself by accident. If there is a mishap with injections or testing, I had it.

My advice would be test and don’t try to compensate with food until you know the number. It may one of those days when it is high anyway. Otherwise, you can get on the roller coaster of pushing Snickers too high. I would test every 30 minutes or so and look for any danger signs.

One time, Maggie got into my honeybaked ham and had that yummy coating all in her white beard. I just knew for sure that her sugar would be off the charts. It never got high at all. I think sometimes their body can adjust a bit on their own especially if they have had diabetes for a while. Don’t beat yourself up because life just happens sometimes.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Ok. The first hour after I sugared her up she registered high, the second hour she is at 239. I have a car appt. in 2 hours and I'm freaking out about leaving her.

Comment

Snickers is still alive and seems to be no worse for the wear.

After the first couple of hours she dropped to around 250 and hovered in that range for a couple of hours. Then she suddenly dropped to around 140 and got as low at 109 so not overly dangerous and stayed there for some time, even after supper. I was feeding her snacks throughout and occasionally some syrup. Surprisingly she still ate supper after all the extra food.

What I noticed is that syrup only gave a small (50pt) jump for a very limited time, maybe 30 minutes and then it was like I had never given her any. Glad she never dropped really low since she was getting tired and had lost interest in snacks for a while and getting syrup in her was a real struggle.

Comment

Yep thats what Jesse gets about a half hour and then its used up

A dogs body does a good job at protecting itself even with a a dose being well above the normal dose

Great job keeping your pup safe and why we test

Comment

Working...
                                X