Newly Dx: Ruby, my foster rescue Yorkie mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newly Dx: Ruby, my foster rescue Yorkie mix

Parallel readings did not go so well, so I abandoned the One Touch for now. Found a new friend who had some extra strips for the AT, which filled in until my order could arrive. I have been ill with a virus, so have not kept you up to date.

We have adjusted her food intake; the kibble was too high in carbs, but it's what I have as a foster Mom. Lowered the amount of kibble, Added 1 tsp. pure white chicken breast (in water) for protein and calories.

She was groomed last week and got a small nic on her bum which is bothering her. Vet prescribed clavamox. We are spraying it with silver colloidal water and keeping her in a cone most of the time so she can't lick it.

Vet increased insulin to 1.5 units, BID.

Curve for 9/20 with food and insulin adjusted
    6:30, 434, fasting
    8:40, 445, fasting (at vet)
    9:52, 459, fasting (at home after vet)
    Full meal, clavamox. 1.5 u/NovolinN
    12:04, 414
    2:31, 394
    5:30, 298
    7:30, 296
    9:02, 373
    full meal, clavamox, 1.5 u/NovolinN

Notes: more energy; gave pure chicken as treats after every test
    She has decided that I am her friend; I think the chicken made the difference.
    She is not drinking as much water, so I am watching that.
    I know these numbers are not indicative of where she will "land", but since we changed both her food and insulin at the same time, I wanted to monitor her anyway.

fasting, 9/21, am, 249
    fasting, 9/21, pm, 412

fasting, 9/22, am, 248 (today)

I really need to find a kibble that is low fat/carb, high fiber/protein. Haven't felt up to the search yet.
    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

definitely seeing improvement and progress . Keep up the good work
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Adjustments take time to settle in, so don't get anxious if numbers don't improve right away. And know that a different food will change numbers again, so you'll be going thru the regulating process for some time, but that's normal. Took me almost 2 years to get to where I am now.

And you don't necessarily need a low carb food, maybe just a bit lower than the current food. Carbs are what works with the insulin to balance; carbs are the body's fuel.
        Unfortunately labels don't list carbs, so you have to go by ingredients, or do a calculation. The calculation formula is on a website, I may have it here.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses. Ruby's am fasting number is gradually dropping, so we are double checking it. Today she was 151 at 6 am and 205 at 8 am. Both are fasting numbers. She ate a full meal and got her injection at 8:30. I'm wondering if we should add about 3 grams of kibble to the food mix. She gets 1 tsp. of chicken added to the kibble. Evening fasting is not as low and she is receiving only chicken as a treat for pottying outside. That's often an issue with rescues, and it is with her, too. She acts fine, but we all know that is not always a good indicator of bg.
          Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her

Comment

Adding 3 gr kibble to kibble, not sure I understand, might be interpretting it wrong.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I was giving her 30 grams of kibble and a teaspoon of white chicken breast (in water) for each meal. I increased to 31 grams last night, which should make VERY little difference. She gets a sliver of chicken as a treat for pottying outside and after bg testing and injection. (There HAS to be some perk for the pricks!) She had a bite of the chicken breast today b4 first test. BG was 253 at 6:30, 348 at 9:10, fasting. Ate full meal. Injection at 9:30. Someone has donated potential treats. The best one seems to be a freeze dried chicken. I'm not familiar with any of the brands. Will attach pic if I can figure out how. I have not given her any of these.

https://naturalpawz.com/products/gra...YaAvOLEALw_wcB
              Last edited by MaryLea; 09-24-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Sorry for my confusion, you're adding kibble just to give her more to eat (she's still hungry?) or you were worried her fastings were too low.

As for treats, I use Purebites dehydrated chicken breast, and dehydrated liver. Both are pure protein and shouldn't affect blood sugar.

Comment

I'm adding kibble for both reasons, and a third: she is underweight. The "dance" is, of course, to get her bg into an acceptable range while increasing her weight. I know the kibble I am using is not the best for that, but have not done enough research to change it. We reduced her kibble and added chicken to get a better fat/protein ratio, and it has helped. That 151 reading sort of spooked me the other day since we are also 3-4 days into an insulin increase. She's dropped from the 400s into the 200s and 300s, which is good. Evening bg is still in the low 400s. I'm wondering if I should give her a skinny 1.5 Novolin at night and the full dose in the daytime.

Comment

Its difficult to draw any conclusion on dosing so early into this .The lower reading can be a bit concerning because it came so fast . Its so easy to go past the dose that is needed

There also can be a honeymoon period where they may produce some of their own insulin and when that ends the need for more insulin may come about

When you add food and remove food adjusting the dose on the fly could affect the bodies ability to adapt to this new reality of injected insulin

Consistency is important especially during the regulation process . It takes time and patience is key

Cute pup you guys will do great together
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks, Jesse Girl. This must be the only change I make this week because she is scheduled to see the vet next Tuesday, which gives her a week to adjust. She IS feeling better, so that is good to see. She is drinking less than at the first (about three-four weeks ago), and that is also good. She is still hungry, but as we get closer to the 150-250 range most of the time, I hope that will also abate.

She is a senior, about 9 yo, surrendered to our rescue because the owner could not afford surgery and expected medical costs. All of that was before Dx with diabetes, so if she had not been surrendered, she probably would have been put down. She is very sweet, but still fights the bg testing. Takes injections well now. Of course, the chicken treats are a huge factor in that. I'm hoping she will settle down for the bg testing in time. She wiggles so much that I have not tried any location except the inner upper lip. We wrap her in a towel for that. She had a nic on her bum which we are treating with clavamox per the vet. We put Neosporin on it--and she got nippy toward us. It's the only time she's offered to snap at either one of us. We switched to silver colloidal spray which she did not like, either. The swelling is down, so we stopped the extra meds but not the clavamox.

Comment

Working...
                      X