Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bagel - Beagle/Bassett - Lysodren

Hi Sande,

I think your schedule sounds great. I am pretty sure that "if possible" is a reference to a pet owner's ability and committment to administering the dose four times a week. I'll pass on responding to your brother's comment as I admit to being totally obsessed with Cushing's. It's a serious disease that's difficult to understand....the nuances are many and unfortunately are conflicting at times. You are doing exactly as you should...reading and researching so that you can make informed decisions about Bagel's medical management and can explain your rationale to your vet. Good job!!

Glynda

Comment

Thanks! Am feeling peace already!!

Comment

Hi Sande,

Just want to say you are doing a great job with Bagel! All your research will help Bagel and may help your vet to learn a bit more about Cushing's so he can help others on down the road. It's kinda funny how many of us have been able to teach our vets a thing or two about all this. When the pup shows improvements that the docs can see, they really have to listen then and rethink some things. I just love Dr C and she has been excited to learn new things from Squirt and I which makes her TOPS in my book! The whole clinic works with us as if we were "members" of a club and it is absolutely wonderful! I hope you find the same to be true with your vet.

Hugs,
        Leslie and the girls
        "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
        and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Hi Sande,

I think splitting the doses is a great decision and hopefully this will help with the diarrhea.

As for the cortisol levels, please confirm these are the results of the last stim:
          Originally posted by Bagel's Mom View Post
          Her pre (after 4 weeks maintenance) was 7 her post was 8.8
          From what I have been told, & so far from my experience, the dose splitting may not help with the cortisol levels. If the cortisol levels haven't improved by the next stim, you might want to do a reload.

One thing I'm curious about, and maybe someone can please clarify this for me, is the pre of 7. I'm not sure if the high pre means anything. Does it matter that the pre-7 is only 1.8 lower than the post-8.8??

-Susy

Comment

Originally posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
            One thing I'm curious about, and maybe someone can please clarify this for me, is the pre of 7. I'm not sure if the high pre means anything. Does it matter that the pre-7 is only 1.8 lower than the post-8.8??
            When interpreting an acth stimulation test for purposes of monitoring cushing's treatment, the pre or basal number is of little value. The normal basal range (most labs) is 1 - 6 so 7 is a bit high and is probably due to the stress of being at the vet's office. I hope this helps.

Glynda

Comment

WOW thanks to all of you for the support!! I started 1/2 pill this Am...will repeat tomorrow (Weds) and Fri and Sat...

I am still wondering if her ACTH test might have been high due to INFECTION since she was diagnosed two days later with a UTI and is now on AMOX for that....

She does seem to be drinking a little more and I will measure- My vet did say that if I saw signs of that appetite and water consumption we would have to retest before the planned 3 months...

She does seem more energetic now...a neighbor said she looked smaller...Little pot bellied beagle/basset has carried 40 pounds for a long time but she did take on a lot of the basset features..

Will keep ya posted this week...I am very excited about splitting the doses!!
              Sande

Comment

Checking in...
                SAT evening.....This week with the four dosings, Bagel has had an easy time...NO diarreah and NO probs...

The weather got really HOT all of a sudden but I am keeping it cool inside for her...

What a difference with the dosing...I am just thankful for an UNEVENTFUL week!!

S

Comment

Hi Sande,

I am so glad to hear that Bagel is doing much better on the split doses. The number one Lysodren side effect is GI upset and she was getting a whole lot of Lysodren at one time. We'll be keeping fingers and paws crossed that the additional 1/4 pill will get Bagel's next post stim number where it needs to be.

Glynda

Comment

Hi Sande

Fantastic to hear that Bagel is doing well with splitting the Lysodren over the week.

Angela and Sabre

Comment

second week of splitting doses...NO PROBLEMS..
                      One of the other vets told me SHE split the doses..and that everyone did things differently...
                      I got some educating to do....
                      Appetite is NOT extreme and water is normal....
                      Happy Friday

Comment

Hi Sande,
                        Glad to hear Bagel is doing better. Hope Bagel continues to improve.
                        John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

I'm so happy for the two of you! May Bagel have clear sailing for a while!

MJ

Comment

thank you ALL!!! and the same to all of YOU and YOURS

Comment

So glad that Bagel is doing so well with the split doses!

Originally posted by Bagel's Mom View Post
                              The weather got really HOT all of a sudden but I am keeping it cool inside for her...
                              I do the same thing for Wylie...people say, "Geez, it's like Alaska in here!!"

-Susy

Comment

Don't be surprised if Bagel develops an interesting coat in the next few months. When Maggies fur came back in, it was a very fuzzy puppy-like coat. It's not quite so fuzzy now, but is still mush more lush than the usual beagle/basset coat. Several othe people have reported the same thing.
                                Glad to hear things are going well .
                                Virginia and Maggie

Comment

Working...
                                X