Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Sparky Love is an angel June 23, 2014...

What a great idea - there's such a need. And what a wonderful tribute to Sparky.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM

What a great idea, Cara. Sparky Love would be proud!

I personally wish all vets would test for pancreatitis via the SPEC cPL at the time diabetic dogs are diagnosed. I suspect more dogs would test positive than vets might think. I also think there might be more symptoms out there that might be more common indicators of pancreatic problems than many vets might think.

Decker was a bit of an atypical case. Pancreatitis was the one thing I was sure he didn't have. Yet he tested positive for it. And learning that helped me connect a lot of dots I would not have otherwise connected. I've only been able to find a couple of resources which will support my theory that pancreatitis can be sub-clinical in some dogs, meaning it can be present with either no symptoms or might be present with atypical symptoms. In Decker's case, not only did he not have any of the obvious symptoms, he also didn't have the typical blood work one would 'expect' to see with a dog who is in the midst of a pancreatic flare up. His AMYL was always low. A high AMYL can point to pancreatic problems in dogs. My understanding is that a low AMYL value is an insignificant value.

Anyway, here is a link to some research that has been done regarding it. IDEXX is the reference laboratory in which a lot of the SPEC cPL testing is run through. If the link doesn't open directly to it - you want to look in the 'related documentation' tab.

https://www.idexx.com/smallanimal/ed...is-canine.html
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM

Thank you very much, Holli! I'll take a look at everything. If anyone else can add anything regarding raising awareness, or pharmaceutical companies that are researching treatments and cures, please let me know. And if anyone wants to join up with me starting some kind of organization, it would be great!
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 PM

I wonder if there will ever come a day that I don't cry for Sparky Love. I miss him so much and it's just as painful today as it was 5 weeks ago. I do understand that life isn't fair, but I am just so devastated about him still. He deserved to live a long, happy, and healthy life, and he didn't get to do that. I still miss the jingle of his tags, and how he would look like a lion when he shook - all of his hair would stand up around his body and his skinny little legs would be sticking out. I miss him sitting in my lap and giving me kisses. I miss him barking at strangers and pulling on his leash when we walked. I miss doing agility with him. He was the center of my life, and everything feels so empty now. I loved him more than anything in the world, and I can't imagine this pain ever subsiding.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Administrator

I'm sorry... I know just how you feel. It is how I wound up spending evenings on PetFinder looking longingly at dogs and stalking people in parking lots who had their dogs with them.

And how we wound up adopting Jack a whole lot sooner after Chris passed away than we should have.

A dog had become so much a part of my life that I felt like I died with Chris. I was at loose ends.

Chris will have been gone 6 years on Friday and the thought of him can still bring us to tears at the drop of a hat. But there are tears less often and more warm fond memories with each year. We still talk about him all the time, and it's nice not to always cry when we do.

Sending our love to your Angel Sparky.

Natalie
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM

Sorry for your pain I know its hard and you feel so incomplete without Sparky Love, but time will heal you, you just need time. My mom had Mileys Dad who was also a diabetic with other health problems and he has been gone about a year now and my mom had come around he is loved and missed but we are left with irreplaceable memories as so you have with Sparky Love. Stay strong!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Founding Member

yes when we loose a special one a peace of us goes with them you cant get that back . that's why we feel a bit empty and out of sorts .

we understand they are in a better place and will be with them but life in this place isnt the same . you will never be able to replace sparky but something will move into that empty space in the future. it may not be another friend but it maybe some way of helping others which you do on the forum . something good that fills our heart and renews our spirit
Old 07-30-2014, 04:11 AM

Hey Cara, that's tough. It's certainly a life changing event. They are our best friends and love unconditionally. Its dreadful letting them go. I know I have said this but I still light a candle every night when I come home from work around 5pm until it burns out around 10 or so. I will probably do this from now on as I love candles anyway but. It brings me some peace. I can easily cry if I put my mind to it and let it wander to "what ifs" and a host of other stuff which drives me to the point of tears.

I too miss everything about him. It's going to be tough moving in 1 months time. He died here at this house and I feel like i'm letting him down by moving but I know that he will be coming with me. I'll cry my heart out though! Time has made it somewhat easier. Everyone grieves differently. I thought I would be much worse than I have been. I mourned him a lot over the past 2 or so years with all his problems and ailments. I am sure that given enough time your grief will lessen and the fond memories will sustain you. I do like what Jesse Girl wrote, something will move into that empty space.

Thoughts.

Geoff
Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma
Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Sandler View Post
I wonder if there will ever come a day that I don't cry for Sparky Love. I miss him so much and it's just as painful today as it was 5 weeks ago. I do understand that life isn't fair, but I am just so devastated about him still. He deserved to live a long, happy, and healthy life, and he didn't get to do that. I still miss the jingle of his tags, and how he would look like a lion when he shook - all of his hair would stand up around his body and his skinny little legs would be sticking out. I miss him sitting in my lap and giving me kisses. I miss him barking at strangers and pulling on his leash when we walked. I miss doing agility with him. He was the center of my life, and everything feels so empty now. I loved him more than anything in the world, and I can't imagine this pain ever subsiding.
hi cara,

i am so sorry you are having such a hard time with it..i know how you feel as you know we are going on 4 months and it is getting easier each day..i dont cry all the time anymore..i cant look at pictures or videos of him with out crying..but i dont cry every day..i keep telling my self he is in a better place now and is pain free and happy and thats the gift we gave our babies..
we do have abby she has for sure soften the blow when fred pasted..and i think i even love her more knowing how short they are in our life..hang in there its ok to still be sad about this they were a big part of our life..just try to keep telling your self he is looking down at you and he is happy playing with all his knew friends and wouldnt want you to be sad....big hugs to you.
sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...
Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 PM

Cell phone so I can't put all my thoughts down, but I want to say you and everything is exactly as it should be. Grieving a great love cannot be rushed unfortunately.

I imagine having only Sparky Love and now no other dog makes it doubly hard. It isn't only Sparky Love that you miss, but also that way of life.....

I had to go looking for the lyrics to this song for you. A beautiful sad ballad.

Feel the warmth and stregnth of all who have traveled this road.

Tara

"See The Sun"

I'm comin' 'round to open the blinds*
You can't hide here any longer*
My God you need to rinse those puffy eyes*
You can't last here any longer*

And yes they'll ask you where you've been*
And you'll have to tell them again and again*

And you probably don't want to hear tomorrow's another day*
Well I promise you you'll see the sun again*
And you're asking me why pain's the only way to happiness*
And I promise you you'll see the sun again*