Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Sparky Love is an angel June 23, 2014...

Thinking of you. Hope your trip goes well tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Thank you, Barb and Glennys :-)
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Well, I went to watch the agility trial, and I had a really good time. A few sad moments, but overall I'm glad I went. It made me realize that though I miss Sparky terribly, and nothing will ever replace him, I really do want to get another dog. The person I went to the agility trial with is actually an agility trainer, so she and I talked a lot about the different possibilities. I've always been a huge fan of rescues and would never have imagined buying a dog, but now I do see the advantage of knowing a dog's genetic history and health history (though I understand that nothing is guaranteed). Coincidentally, there's a little Havanese puppy at Sparky's old agility school that was given up by his mom and needs a home. He's absolutely adorable and is potty trained, knows basic obedience commands, and loves other dogs. I asked them to get his papers so I can look up the breeder as well as his parents to see if his genetic line is healthy. But then today, I did some research on the breed, and I'm not certain it would be a good fit for me since I travel so much. They apparently love being with people and attach very firmly to one owner, and follow them around at all times. They do not do well as only dogs in a house where they would be left alone for several hours a day. It wouldn't be a problem when I'm home, but when I travel, it would probably be hard on him. So as much as I fell in love with the little guy's video, I don't think it would be fair to him to adopt him.

The other breed I'm considering is a sheltie. They are blazingly fast at agility, and I really want a dog that will excel at agility and be fun to train. A sheltie definitely fits the bill. They almost always win their height classes at agility trials, so it's something for me to think about. I'm definitely not going to get another dog yet, but it makes me feel less sad when I consider that there will be another dog in my life someday.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Oh Cara I'm happy for you that you are starting to think about bringing more love into your life!
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Well, I officially turned down the little Havanese puppy that is up for adoption. He is absolutely adorable, and I fell in love with him the moment I saw the video of him, but I know that I can't provide the kind of home that he needs, and it wouldn't be fair to him to adopt him. It makes me sad because he looks like an incredibly affectionate dog (as most Havanese pups are), and I would love that, but he needs a home where there is somebody home with him consistently, and I can't give him that. I think it will be better to get a breed that is more independent, that won't mind so much having someone else care for him when I have to travel. From what I'm reading, a sheltie does just fine in that sort of situation.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Oh dear. Maybe I haven't officially turned him down after all. I asked the trainer who is caring for him right now, and she said that he's actually not the kind of dog that attaches at the hip. He's bonded well with lots of people at the school and when she takes him home in the evening, he enjoys playing with her dogs, but will lie down by himself sometimes too. My biggest concern with adopting him is that he would be stressed out every time I travel, but this trainer doesn't think this would be an issue with him.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Would this trainer be willing to have a slumber party when you need to travel?
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM

Actually, yes. I would have to pay her but she does sometimes care for dogs in her home.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Founding Member

sounds like a possibility

i picked jesse out of a crowd because she had little interest in me

Last edited by jesse girl; 08-12-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Sounds promising.....