Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Do injections get easier?

thank you! i hope it continues, too. i'm trying, but it's not perfect did you get Franklin regulated this past week? I'll have to go look at your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin'sMum View Post
Yay! That's great news! You're doing so well with Sophia Hope your and her calmness continues.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Thank you. I will say I honestly I don't understand why the vet would want to do a curve reading just 2 weeks after being diagnosed. it truly took me several weeks and lots of research to learn to do injections well. And for her to learn that this will be a twice daily thing. Truly hope it continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny View Post
So pleased to hear that little Sophia is doing so well now for her injections!

And a great big congratulations to you for all your hard work in getting both of you into this calm and comfortable routine! You are so right about the first weeks being awful and frightening, but it does get better as you have proved!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM

I will keep you posted. She also gets a Cataplex GTF with each meal. The other won't arrive until Monday.

Alphatrack arrived yesterday. Amazed how little blood it takes.

Hope injections continue as does her appetite for new crock pot dinner. She's not as trained as Abby, but she's getting there. That's really sweet Abby's routine.

You said "they trust you that you will not hurt them"... I think it takes something like this out of normal canine range to learn and know how much they truly do trust us. You are so correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
I have not heard of that supplement. Keep us posted as if it helps. I truly like the Standard Process products, not just for Abby, but for myself as well.

So glad the injections are going smoothly. I know, I was there myself. Abby is a 'live' wire, and today, we have developed a routine. She eats, and right after she comes to me, and expects a treat and a shot. There may be some times, when she may move, or things do not go exactly right... but overall they trust you that you will not hurt them, it truly gets better.

Barb
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 PM

Does a drop in blood sugar make dogs throw up?

This morning after her shot and breakfast, she threw up. Middle of day I felt bad for her empty stomach and she had a few bites of bland chicken.

Later in early evening she had some more small bits of chicken and threw that up as well.

I'm actually wondering if it's the chicken bothering her stomach. It's canned and my brother did not wash before putting it in fridge as I normally do.

The AlphaTrack arrived yesterday. Today I took at 3:30 in afternoon and it was 115. 3 hours later at 5:30 it was 180. But it's down from the 200's and 400's of weeks past. She also has an eye infection and on antibiotic drops. But I don't see how that would make her throw up.

In evening after her nap she was ready for her dinner and shot. Totally fine with her crock pot meal which did not involve chicken and did not throw up.

Hope she gets better tomorrow. I really hate taking her to the vet it's always about stuffing antibiotics down her. I'm just wondering if her diabetes is related to something else I don't know about.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 AM

Poor Sophia being sick.
I have thankfully not experienced this, but would be worried about her sugar going low during the day with insulin on board and no (or reduced) food to work on. Great that you could check her sugar to make sure she was ok. I would imagine that having an eye infection and being on antibiotic drops could make her feel sicky somehow, but Im no expert. I would also maybe be thinking about mild pancreatitis if the sickness continued. Hope shes feeling better today!
Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 AM

Hi there,

I don't have any ideas about Sophia being sick. I hope it's just an off day and nothing serious. Franklin's not regulated as yet, but is back to having some good numbers He has a curve scheduled for Monday, and Dr P is looking into options for us. Have noticed that she gets a different curve shape there compared to our home curves, so she has a few things to consider. Thanks for asking about Franklin, and I so hope Sophia feels better soon
Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:25 PM

Hope Sophia is feeling better today and that the vomiting is a thing of the past.

Louise
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Thank you Jenny, Franklin'sMum and LuvMyMunchie.

I took Sophia to the vet today. She's perplexed why her blood sugar is in normal range again. It was 120 at vet.

She diagnosed her with Gastroenteritis. On antibiotic again.

This evening she won't eat at all. Had a bit of water and tried to throw up again but couldn't.

I'm not sure what could have caused it. Could be tiny raw ground chuck balls I started to give her as treats. Could be new home cooked diet I started last Saturday. It has ground pork, hamburger and 8 cups of veggies. I'm wondering if some of it went bad in the fridge and I didn't freeze enough of it. The meat was all cooked well and drained of grease.

She said probably not pancreatitis because she was not sore in that area and no fever. She also did tested negatives for worms.

Hope she eats some tomorrow. If continues will take her for further blood testing and xrays.

Last edited by sophia; 11-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 PM

Hope Sophia starts to feel better and you figure out what is making her sick.

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Founding Member

Hope it is a bug and that she feels better