Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Munchie–11 yr. old MiniSchnauzer–Just Diagnosed

Thanks for your support everyone. Things went from bad to worse very fast with Munchie last night so took him to ER. ER doc ran critical care blood panel which was ok and said his symptoms were that of pancreatitis but did not run test to confirm. Gave him a shot to stop vomiting, a Rx of Tramadol for pain, sub q fluids and sent us home.

Munch is doing very poorly today. Have already spoken to his doctor and was told to bring him back tomorrow if he doesn't eat. Well, I can guarantee he's not going to eat. An appetite stimulant was prescribed which I have yet to pick up but I cannot give him the pain med and stimulant both. He is definitely in pain so that's my priority right now. Even a tiny bit of food rubbed on his gums seems to cause a whole negative reaction. He is very uncomfortable and has difficulty walking so I carry him. His urine is very concentrated and there is very little of it. He was straining to poop but he's got no food in him and I'm concerned something else may be going on. Vet had me give him 6 units of insulin this morning even though he did not eat and it did next to nothing. Checked for ketones and at least there still aren't any present.

I just spoke to vet. I cannot see waiting until tomorrow for tests when he's doing so poorly right now. So, I'll wash my face, change my clothes, pick up my boy and take off again.

Louise
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Poor Munchie and you Louise

It sounds like his pancreas is causing the problem. You are right to bring him in again to the vet . Hope they can give him something for the pain and discomfort.

Hugs
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Good luck Louise and thanks for the update. I know we were all anxious to hear.

Whatever you may be dealing with besides the pancreatitis, over the next few days it may help if you could give him sub q fluids at home. Do you think you could give him sub Qs by yourself. It would save you some money as it sounds as though you must be bleeding money right now. With Ruby and Hubba before her, I was able to nurse them through a lot that I never would have been able to afford through the vet, just by giving sub q fluids at home. Sounds like he is dehydrated and that in itself can make you feel pretty bad. Wonder if it could be making him constipated too.

When I have done sub Qs the doc has sent me home with a few bags of fluids, a line and some needles.

Tara

Tara
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Hi Louise,
I second Tara... If your unable to leave Munchie overnight at the ER ask them for the fluids for him. Poor little buddy!! I am thinking of you two and watching for your update.
Hugs,
Dawn and Bogie
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Sure hate to hear this, Louise.

Hope the doc can do something to make him more comfortable until this episode passes.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Thank you for taking a few minutes to update us on Munchie. So glad you are not waiting to take him to the vet.

I third the need to keep him hydrated. Might have shared this once but thought I'd put it out there again:

"Dehydration can change the way subcutaneous insulin is absorbed, so either hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia are possible; dehydration can also cause false negative or positive urine ketone test results.[150][151] Hyperglycemia means more of a risk for dehydration."

Hope Munchie is able to get some much needed pain relief and that your vet is able to better trouble shoot what may be going on. Praying that all works out in the end for you.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM

Poor little guy. Hope you soon get this under control. (((hugs)))

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Back home again. Long day. Will get test results back tomorrow but in the meantime Munch's doctor is having me give him the Tramadol every 6 hrs. for pain now and the Cerenia once a day. Poor Munch is so sick. The nausea has him drooling. His tummy is so sore that it hurts him to move so still carrying him around. The VanPatten food I was feeding had him pooping 5-6 times a day and yesterday it was more like 9. His poor bowels are irritated also.

I did come home with a bag of supplies and will be doing sub q fluids every day. Munch is finally sleeping comfortably now and that's what I need to do for at least a couple of hours. I've had 3 hrs. sleep in the last 48 hrs. and I'm beat.

Please keep Munch in your prayers.

Louise
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Louise,
Big Hugs and Prayers to you and Munchie for a restful night and a better day tomorrow.
Dawn and Bogie
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Founding Member

Been thinking of you and Munchie. Hugs