Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Jeb passed June 29, 2017...

Ok, letís see if I can do this.

Iím here to thank you for this forum. My name is Glennys and my dog is Jeb. Heís a collie mix who was diagnosed in early June. He developed ketoacidosis and was at the emergency vet intensive care for two days at $1000.00 a day. My husband started talking about putting him down because we couldnít afford the expense. So I took him home against medical advice, cared for him myself, and we both managed somehow to survive. Then in September, we drove our rv to Texas to help our son move. Jeb experienced major changes in routine, temperature, humidity, and elevation. The night we arrived, he had a seizure. I knew enough to put pancake syrup on his gums and by the time we found an emergency vet there, his bg was 82. The wonderful vet suggested I learn to test him myself and referred me to jjefferjoís even more wonderful vet, who referred me to Jj, who referred me to this forum, and Iíve been reading it compulsively ever since.

Jj, I want to say that I donít think Jeb would be alive today if it hadnít been for you and your incredible wisdom. You walked me through a difficult time with intelligence, kindness, and patience. My motto, thanks to you, is ďlow and slow, go jeb go,Ē and I say it to him every day. I donít have words to express my gratitude to you.

So many people here are helping me. Jim Maceri and jesse girl, thank you for showing me how to manage Jebís walks. Theyíre the high point of his day. CraigM, thank you for all your information about testing. I give Jeb a frozen green bean each time I test him now. Momofdecker, thank you for your example of devotion to your dogs. Youíre an inspiration to me. To so many other people, to Natalie, to Patty, to all of you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Iíll write again in a couple days with more information about Jeb and where we are now. Today Iím just grateful to be a part of this amazing group and I just want to tell you all, ďThank you.Ē
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Jeb

Welcome to you and Jeb!
I think Jeb is our first Collie! We would love to hear more about him: diet, type of insulin, any hints you've come with. Of course, a photo of the pup would be great!

Craig & Annie
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Welcome glad to see you here and to know that Jeb is doing just fine.
Go Jeb Go!
Jj and Ed

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsmom View Post
My motto is “low and slow, go jeb go,” and I say it to him every day.
What a great motto! A big official welcome to you and Jeb, and special thanks to Jj for pointing you in this direction! Sounds like all is going well. Happy to have you aboard! Holli
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Last edited by momofdecker; 12-13-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Big Welcome to you and Jeb... and so glad that Jj pointed you over here. It is a wonderful forum, and I personally think that there is no place that offers this type of support ANYWHERE!!

Barb
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

What a wonderful post! Sending you an 'official welcome' as well. Glad to have you here!

We think Jj and Ed are a pretty special duo as well
Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Welcome to you and Jeb
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM

Welcome to you and Jeb. This forum and Instagram (other dog buddies) are 2 of the kindest places online.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 PM

Yes, it does feel wonderful to have all the folks here to lean on for their collective wisdom.

Glad to welcome you and Jeb to the crowd.

Tara
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Thank you so much for the welcome. I appreciate you all.

Jeb is a collie mix. I think heís beautiful. Heís about 7 years old (heís a rescue dog and weíve had him for 6 years). He weighs 52 lbs, down from about 70 before he got sick.

I think weíre getting close to regulation. Iím currently giving him 9.5 u am and 9.0 pm with his food. Iím feeding him WD, but now that Iíve joined the forum, Iíd like to experiment some with food and snacks. Iíll need help, I know, and Iím not ready quite yet. He was at 11u when he had the seizure in Texas. The vet cut him back to 5 and weíve moved up in half steps since then. His numbers are mostly in the 200ís now, with some 300ís and some 100ís, but sometimes he suddenly goes below 100 in the evening for no clear reason. And sometimes his morning fasting is over 400. So I watch him really closely and my husband asks me all the time, ďAre you testing that poor dog again?Ē Iím using the ReliOn Prime, with AlphaTrak 2 as backup when I see a scary number. Heís been too high for so long now that when I see a good number, I get scared.

But overall, I think heís doing well. Heís happy, he loves his walks and his food, and when I get out the testing materials, he walks right over to me and lies down. I feel lucky.