Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Default Sparky Love is an angel June 23, 2014...

My dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week, and he does not want breakfast under any circumstances. Like some of you, I've been jumping through all kinds of crazy hoops to get him to eat breakfast. Has anyone come up with anything else that has helped get your dog to eat breakfast? Mine will only eat Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw food for breakfast (he'll eat his prescription food at dinner, no problem), which is not intended to be fed to diabetic dogs and has a lot of fat, which I absolutely want to avoid. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Default Re: when a dog won't eat

Hi Cara

We had the same problem in the beginning. We tried pumpkin, Parmesan cheese and had the most success with a microwaved scambled egg. We still mix that with the w/d and active longevity in the morning and replace the egg with chicken at night. Some folks have had success with the water from a can of tuna. Hard to believe our guy is now a chow hound who barks for his meals!

Good luck and welcome to a really supportive group of folks!
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 03-16-2014, 02:08 PM

Default Re: when a dog won't eat

Thanks, Charlie's Mom. My dog Sparky doesn't like fish or eggs but does enjoy cheese. I'm going to give the parmesan a try. Paws crossed that he'll eat it!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Sparky Love

I think some members here use Stellas as part of their dog's meals. There is nothing really bad there. Does your dog dislike the food or do you think it is a matter of the new schedule that is hard to adjust to? If your dog doesn't love the food, then you might need to find something they do like. The food battle is no fun and it is very important that they eat reliably.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 AM

A poor appetite is not an unusual side effect of high blood glucose. The appetite should return when the blood glucose level comes down.

It's most important Sparky eats something so you can give the insulin. I wouldn't be real concerned, at this point, with what he eats, as long as he's eating something. There's plenty of time to tweak the insulin / food equation in coming months.

Welcome and good luck to you, Cara & Sparky. ...
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Thanks Farrwf. That's the conclusion I'm coming to as well - eating something - anything - is better than eating nothing and not being able to get his insulin. And right now his blood glucose isn't actually that high - it's running in the low to mid 200s, and I am determined to do whatever it takes to keep his diabetes very well controlled.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Sandler View Post
Thanks Farrwf. That's the conclusion I'm coming to as well - eating something - anything - is better than eating nothing and not being able to get his insulin. And right now his blood glucose isn't actually that high - it's running in the low to mid 200s, and I am determined to do whatever it takes to keep his diabetes very well controlled.
Right now I would love the low to mid 200's!!

Welcome Cara...and you too Sparky!

Unfortunately for you, not me, I have a dog that will eat just about anything...that's how I've ended up with a whole new shoe wardrobe!

But seriously, food fighting can't be fun...I have found that my dogs really like frozen green beans and pumpkin. I would have never thought it, but neither one does much to Vinny's bg and since I had to put our second dog on a diet, it seems to make the food go farther for him. I've also, accidently, found out that they will eat any kind of peppers (I don't give them much) and zucchini and all kinds of veggies I cut up for different things. I guess they are more willing to try things now that they are free feeding.

Like Bill said, just getting Sparky to eat right now is key, especially since you need him to eat to give him his insulin. Once you get him to eat, you could slowly substitute what you want him to eat.

Welcome to the forum...you have found a great place for support and info. Please tell us a bit more about Sparky. We love to get to know the newbies!
Mel
Old 03-17-2014, 11:26 AM

Yes, I guess if there's ever anything lucky about diabetes, I'm lucky that we were able to control his blood sugar pretty quickly. This breakfast thing is really an issue though. Sparky has never been all that interested in food and maintained a healthy weight free feeding. Right now, we're reducing his dinner portion to see if that will make him hungrier in the morning, but so far it hasn't worked. He's somewhat picky about food and won't eat any vegetables.

So to tell you a little about Sparky - he is a small terrier mix, about 20 pounds, who looks like Benji. He is a rescue dog so I don't know his exact age, but I think he's about 5. He enjoys agility and flyball, and is really a tremendous athlete. He has TONS of energy, and is a bit of a clown. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that he was drinking an awful lot of water, so I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with diabetes. Right now he's on humulin N, 4 units twice per day. At the moment, he is a "healthy" diabetic with no complications, but it's still early. I'm dreading the cataract formation, and I understand that it is virtually certain to happen. I guess all I can do is be vigilant and get him to the doctor as soon as I notice any problems.

Thank you for the welcome! Everyone has been so nice, and I finally feel like I'm not the only one in the world dealing with this. Hopefully we can all help each other out.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Diabetic cataracts aren't a certainity, but they are likely. The numbers I've seen are about 80% - 85% likely to occur. Sparky may be in the ~20% who don't experience them.

The relatively low B/G numbers he has for a newby are encouraging.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 03-17-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Yes, his BG hasn't really gotten too out of control. We've been lucky. Hopefully we'll be lucky about the cataract formation as well, but we'll just have to deal with whatever happens.