Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Default Beloved Guapo is an Angel September 13, 2014

Hi,

Yesterday I received the call from the vet that my 13.5 yo rat terrier has diabetes. His reading was 619! I didn't take the news very well but eventually got in the "we can fix this" mindset. They called in the script for Novolin N last night and we went back to the vet's office today at noon for his first insulin injection. So while I wait for the 4th hour to approach I thought it might be a good idea to introduce him/us.

I adopted him when he was 9 months old. I didn't know what to name him so after 2 weeks of calling him "my handsome boy" it dawned on me to name him Guapo. In his 13.5 years he hasn't had any health issues so I am quite grateful for that. I was 19 yo when I adopted him. He is my first adoption and first personal pet (we did have family pets growing up).

Now that I am past the initial shock I'm gathering as much information as possible. I purchased a freestyle meter last night. The vet said not to change food or routine at the moment until we get some base readings off of his daily life right now plus the insulin. As nervous as I am about figuring out the right combination to his disease I'm super grateful that a forum like this exists.

Thanks for having us!
Julie & Guapo

Old 07-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Introducing Guapo

Welcome to you - what a cutie he is! Once you get over the initial shock, you will find your dog can have a relatively normal life and life span. The key is consistency - feeding the same amounts at the same time every day and giving the insulin in the same amounts at the same time. Typically for novolin n, thqt is 12 hours apart. Testing at home can be very helpful. The thing to remember is that regulation is a slow process and you can't go all crazy when you see a high number and raise the dose. Around here, we advocate doing a curve before doing any increases. You have to see what his pattern is before you make changes and what his high points and low points are and when they occur. A curve is a series of blood sugar tests beginning before the morning meal every two hours until the evening meal.

How much does he weigh? What is the starting dose? What is he currently eating?

You also want to keep track of his readings and all of his tests from the vet too. After a while, it all gets lost in your mind. Keeping a journal also allows you to record how he feels and physical activity, his meals, basically anything relevant to his well being.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Oh my goodness... he is Adorable!! Welcome to you both.

Natalie
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM

Question Re: Introducing Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
Welcome to you - what a cutie he is! You have to see what his pattern is before you make changes and what his high points and low points are and when they occur. A curve is a series of blood sugar tests beginning before the morning meal every two hours until the evening meal.

How much does he weigh? What is the starting dose? What is he currently eating?

You also want to keep track of his readings and all of his tests from the vet too. After a while, it all gets lost in your mind. Keeping a journal also allows you to record how he feels and physical activity, his meals, basically anything relevant to his well being.
Hi there! Thank you for the advice! I found a chart online to track his food and levels. The vet wants me to do the curve tests next week. I just checked his levels for the first time and he read at 220, 6 hours after the first insulin shot! Much better than 619. The vet said we are going for 180-220 for right now. He also said to do the insulin and level check 1x per day for a few days then we will move him to 2 shots per day. He is getting 4 units per dose.

He weighs 21.6 lbs which is quite good for his breed and build. He is on a lamb and rice Purina right now (allergic to chicken by-product), but that will change soon. The vet just doesn't want to change that this week. I'm trying to do some research on a new food for him that is more for diabetic pets. He is a little guy so I'm not worried about price.

I'm also a little confused on when to give the insulin once he moves to 2x daily. The vet says to administer while he is eating. I've read a lot of stuff in the last couple of days and I don't think I heard anyone make mention of that. Is each food to injection time frame different for every dog?

As a side note, finding the right spot to prick was a 30 minute adventure tonight. The vet and tech tried to show me where on the ear (around the edge) and I didn't feel confident that I had found it. I tried for a long time before it dawned on me to grab a mini flashlight and put it up against the ear so I could see and it worked quite well! The area's to prick are quite small so I found a good "intersection" finally and was able to get a satisfactory amount.

I can see this is going to be a bit of a learning curve...

Thank you for the welcome messages! Here's hoping we can get this under control
Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Founding Member

welcome, it sounds like you are doing great!

Novolin N usually only lasts for about 12 hours in dogs. Most of us give the shot at feeding time but you are right, everyone varies and vet advice varies as to when. The rule of thumb is to usually wait to make sure your boy will eat all of his food and if a dog is a puker some people wait to make sure it is staying down.

I used to give my dog's shot while she was eating but I didn't want her to associate eating with her shot so I do it the minute she is done eating now.

Your vet may think Guapo is still producing some insulin on his own but the once a day shot of Novolin has me a little concerned for your very cute guy.

Now that you figured out how to test (yay!) I'd test him a few times throughout the day and see how high he is going on once a day insulin and then I'd push the vet for twice a day.

We've done twice a day from the very beginning. My Jenny started in the 600's and it took months to get her sugar down so you are doing great

Judi
Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
welcome, it sounds like you are doing great!

I used to give my dog's shot while she was eating but I didn't want her to associate eating with her shot so I do it the minute she is done eating now.

Your vet may think Guapo is still producing some insulin on his own but the once a day shot of Novolin has me a little concerned for your very cute guy.

Now that you figured out how to test (yay!) I'd test him a few times throughout the day and see how high he is going on once a day insulin and then I'd push the vet for twice a day.

We've done twice a day from the very beginning. My Jenny started in the 600's and it took months to get her sugar down so you are doing great

Judi
Hi Judi! Thank you for the insight. I don't want him to associate food with shots either so I like your idea of waiting until he is done. He really does not want to eat in the morning. I thought perhaps I could save some stock (beef or chicken) and when he gets fussy about it pour a couple of table spoons on it to entice him. Or would that be a no-no?

He is going to move to twice per day in just a few days. The vet just wanted to start with one shot/day to start. He also wants me to send his level results in to the office each day and then he will call me on Monday.

As far as testing a few times a day goes...will his ears get sore from all the pricks? I have only pricked him once so far and will chose another spot tomorrow but I'm thinking about the curve test coming up and having to do that every 2 hours. He didn't flinch at his shot nor the prick tonight. I think he just thinks I'm being weird right now I'm trying to be the least amount of intrusive as I can be.

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 PM

Hello! Just a few things - lots of dogs do not have appetites in the morning - and we have wound up jumping through all kinds of hoops to get them to eat. It's fine to add a little broth or gravy to his breakfast. The bottom line is that he has to eat.

I used to give my dog a tiny bit of peanut butter (like about the size of a few grains of rice) after every test or injection. He thought the peanut butter was amazing and when I would hold up his insulin syringe, he always came running over because the peanut butter more than compensated for the injection. I tested him on the base of his tail and rotated around a few spots that were right in the same area. He never seemed to feel any pain when I tested him.

You're doing great!
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Founding Member

i am not sure if you tested the inner lip or heard of this as a good location for blood and there is no pain for the dog and no hair . we use jesses lip for testing and have had little problem with healing and have been testing there 3 times a day for over 4 years

i can understand the one shot a day to start and see how blood sugar reacts after being fed without a shot if blood sugar is stable or drops it may point to some insulin being produced by the body . the only problem with that there is little you can do about it because the only treatment is injected insulin . there is no medication and no real philosophy on diet to regulate.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Location: Kansas City, but Oklahoma bound in a couple of months. . .

JULIE!!! I don't have anything to add right now. We are getting ready for a long weekend trip, and I have lots to pack and coordinate, but we had to wave and wag tails "Hi!" to you and Guapa because we LOVE Rat Terriers!!! And that Guapo is a C.U.T.I.E.!!!

Thank doG you are here, and I am so glad to hear you leaped out of panic mode and into "we can do this" mode because you ABSOLUTELY can!

Welcome, and can't wait to see all getting better for you both.
Kristie & Snowball 8+yo? BROWN male Min Pin ; Dx 06-11-14; 6.8lbs! but 12lbs would be better!; 2 meals q D of chicken, broccoli, red beans, and oatmeal; 1u Novolin N BID; Testing with Relion Prime; cataracts. Lives with Fangie (8yo Rat Terrier), Mari (6mo old Rat Terrier), and three 4yos!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactlyjulie View Post
As far as testing a few times a day goes...will his ears get sore from all the pricks? I have only pricked him once so far and will chose another spot tomorrow but I'm thinking about the curve test coming up and having to do that every 2 hours. He didn't flinch at his shot nor the prick tonight. I think he just thinks I'm being weird right now I'm trying to be the least amount of intrusive as I can be.

Thanks for all of your help!
Welcome!

I've tested Annie everyday on her ear for nearly 7 years, no problems I had tried to switch ears early on, but for probably at least 5 years I've tested on her left ear only.

Craig