Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kwiggles' Joe is starting lysodren

Hi Karen,
    Glad to hear that the hard part is over for you and Joe, 6 is a WHOLE bunch better than 30. Harley is smiling ear to ear for you and Joe and Joe will have to teach us how to do that wiggle dance!

Take care and good for you both!! Harley and Lori

Comment

Okay, I just talked to the vet again and we decided to go ahead and start Joe on the maintenance dose of Lysodren today. It will be 500 mg per week, divided into either 2 doses or 4 doses (he gave me the option, I think I will do 125 mg X4). He suggested Joe come back for an ACTH stim test in 3 weeks. (want to keep a close eye on it as Joe's response was a little higher than we would have liked).

I have a question regarding giving the meds- I thought I read somewhere that giving the pills together with a high-fat food can inhibit absorption of the drug- anybody know if that is true? (does that mean no peanut butter? Oh dear, I don't want to be the one to have to tell Joe that...)

Sharon- I asked if the Pred was given to Joe after his stim test was complete- and yes, it was given after both time points were finished. Thanks for picking up on that- (good catch!)

Glynda & Kim thanks for the very complete explanation of the maintenance process- I think I got it now!

I forgot to ask for the specific before-and-after numbers from the stim test, I will find out next time I call.

Thanks again everybody for supporting me & Joe through this process- its good to have somebody to hold your hand when you're freaking out!

Wishing a wonderful weekend to everybody & their cushpups! (& Joe sends an extra-special butt wiggle to MJ!)

Karen & Joe

Comment

I have a question regarding giving the meds- I thought I read somewhere that giving the pills together with a high-fat food can inhibit absorption of the drug- anybody know if that is true? (does that mean no peanut butter? Oh dear, I don't want to be the one to have to tell Joe that...)
        Joe can remain happy and have his peanut butter. The fat does not inhibit absorption of Lysodren...it helps.

Wishing you and Joe a very nice weekend too!!!

Louise
        Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Now dont tell Joe this but dont go overboard with the fat as cush pups are more prone to pancreatitis and that can be causes by to much fat so everything in moderation, Isnt that the way all things go, if it tastes good it has to be bad for you
          will look back and see what dosage you loaded with and may edit my note
          Sharon

Comment

Hi Karen,

It's Sunday and I'm posting this today so that you'll have it first thing tomorrow!

So.....how's Joe doing on his maintenance???

Louise
            Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Hello Louise & everybody,

Today is one week since Joe's loading was completed and he has been on maintenance dose of Lysodren (500 mg in 4 equal doses per week) since Friday.

So far, his progress has been generally good with a few not-so-good days (or rather I should say, nights). Most aspects (appetite, water consumption, energy levels) are steadily improving and I would say that in the daytime hours, he is generally a comfortable and happy guy.

Late at night, however, he often gets into this restless mode where he just can't get comfortable, can't lay still, and spends several hours (about midnight to 4 AM) laying down, getting up, pawing, fidgeting, sighing, moaning and grunting. Not every night and not always excessively but sometimes it's quite bad (like last night) and neither one of us gets much sleep. Around 4 he usually falls asleep and sleeps soundly til around 7. I don't know if he finally gets comfortable or just gives up from exhaustion.

Yesterday it was especially puzzling as, on our afternoon walk, he was perkier than I have seen him in months. Then, a very fitful night.

Someone had mentioned to me when Joe was in the midst of loading that high cortisol can cause this kind of restlessness, but Joe's cortisol levels are now (or supposed to be) lower than they've been in months. And even before treatment, when his Cushings symptoms were worst, I never saw anything like this.

I should say that, in general, I think he's doing really well and this sleeplessness doesn't seem to be symptomatic of a dire problem but it sure is impacting my quality of life. (Joe has the whole day at home to catch up on his sleep but I have to get through the work day without nodding off )

Anybody got any ideas?

Comment

Oh, just wanted to add one more thing- Joe's restlessness at night kind of looks like the way a dog (or person) might behave if they had an upset tummy or really bad gas. Now, he normally has a cast-iron stomach, but I'm wondering if the Lysodren may have upset his digestive system (maybe killed off the beneficial flora in the gut?) Do you think a little yogurt might help?

And he has been having some gas lately (my nose tells me so, if ya know what I mean )

Thanks for any help, folks

Comment

Hi Karen,
                  Don't know if I can help, but Roxee slept much better when we kept the temp lower at night an put the ceiling fan on. Even when it was freezing outside, we, my wife and I would be wearing 2 and 3 layers of clothes to keep warm, Rozee would be under the covers, but Roxee would then sleep much better directly under the fan and on top of the covers.

This may or may not be the case in your home.

All the Best.
                  John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Thanks John- Yes, Joe is definitely more comfortable in a cool spot. Since we live in Maine and it's still just barely spring here I don't know if he's overheating yet, but something to consider. And we live in a drafty old house where the indoor and outdoor temps are usually about the same

I'll open the windows a little wider tonight and see if that helps (oh, the things we go thru for our pups ).

Comment

Hi Karen,
                      It's been a while, how is Joe doing? Hope all is well with you and Joe.
                      John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi John,

Hello to you and thanks for asking about Joe- he is doing great! I will be taking him back to the vets soon (probably early next week) for another ACTH stim test, but to my eyes, he is much improved (hope the numbers say the same).

His water consumption is about half what it was before treatment and still gradually on the decrease. And he is much perkier on our walks but more relaxed when he's resting. We haven't had one of those awful agitated nights in a couple of weeks

When he started to lose his hair, it made the strangest pattern- like a reverse Mohawk with a bare patch down his spine but still lots of hair on his legs & head and a bizarre little ruff of fur like a necklace. His hair has not started to grow back yet but I wanted to 'tidy up' his head and neck a bit yesterday so started snipping away with some scissors and before I knew it, I had a kinda big pile of fur and a kinda funky looking Joe Right now he looks a little less like Joe Cocker and a little more like Rod Stewart (Its okay- he likes having his hair cut, I think it feels cooler and anyway he doesn't have enough sense to be embarrassed)

Now I know why you groomers go thru professional training !

Hope you and your furries are all well,
                        Karen

Comment

Hey Karen,

I am LMAO at your story of the hair cut! You and Cheryl's (Barney's mom) hubby need to get together. You bring your scissors and John will bring his clippers. Oh my goodness! How funny!! Poor Joe, but I bet he is just a pleased as punch!

Good to hear that Joe is doing well otherwise and I can't wait to see the test results when it's time. Thanks for letting us know how things are with you and Joe "Stewart".

Hugs,
                          Leslie and the girls
                          "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
                          and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Hi Karen,
                            Oh No another furr mom with a pair of scissors Usually a groomers worst nightmare One thing to remember....... it usually grows back

So glad to hear that "Joe Stewart" is doing better. Joe Stewart, hmmm and interesting combination or....maybe not

Sounds like Joe is a happy boy Good to hear good news

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Maggie's post trilolstane fur grew in very fluffy and puppy-ish. We took her to Petsmart for a trim and came back to a shaved beagle. She looked strange but seemed to be more comfortable in the heat. I guess she was trying for the GI Jane look.
                              Virginia and Maggie

Comment

Hi Karen,

Just dropped by to read Joe's update. It's good to hear he's doing great and that you're seeing positive results. Let us know the results of his stim test next week. We're interested in "Joe Stewart" and want to keep up on the latest!

Louise

Comment

Working...
                                X