Sweet Sable is an angel... July 23, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sweet Sable is an angel...

I'm so sorry to hear about Sable. I am sure she knew how much you loved her.
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Ah Eric! Congrats on the new pup!! Squirt is a lucky dog!

Natalie

Comment

I'm glad you've got another dog. Sable will be a tough act for Squirt to follow but I'm sure she'll become a big part of your life as well over time.

On potty training, no magic formula I'm afraid but all I suggest is just taking her out very frequently ie when she wakes up, after food, after play and any time she looks restless.

We recently had a surprise litter of puppies from a rescue dog we adopted (who no-one knew was already pregnant) and as they got bigger I followed that routine and by 8 weeks they were becoming fairly reliable. (It was well worth it because it was easier to pop them outside rather than have to clear up all the mess from five puppies inside!!).

Antonia
        Last edited by Eddie; 08-12-2015, 02:19 AM. Reason: spelling
        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

8 weeks seemed to be the magic time for Jenny too. we need pictures! Squirt IS a lucky pup!
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Congratulations on the new add to your family!
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Congrats! So glad you have a new life to take some of the sadness away.

I always think a crate works well if you can't be home a lot. Also, Poochie bells are effective if they are food driven.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                Congrats! So glad you have a new life to take some of the sadness away.

I always think a crate works well if you can't be home a lot. Also, Poochie bells are effective if they are food driven.

Eric,

So happy you got a new pup. We did too, but after one year. It has been recent that we went through the Puppy training, and what I found was a crate (even if you are home, but can not watch every minute), and the bells. Except now... he loves to ring the bells, just so we can pay him attention, and we rarely use the crate. He is a bit spoiled at close to 7 months.

I know that Squirt will never replace Sable, as Duncan never will replace Abby, but it lessens the void they leave.

Congratulations.
                Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I got Spirit after my diabetic pup, Sparky, passed away. She didn't take his place in my heart, but she somehow filled the void he left. She has her own special place in my heart. I'm so glad you have Squirt now to bring you happiness.
                  Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Awe Eric,
                    It's been awhile since I caught up on the forum and was so sad to hear about Sable. I remember your early days here very well. She was blessed to have you.

It sounds like Squirt will be the perfect fit and I am thrilled to hear that, though irreplaceable, she has helped to fill the void Sable left. Enjoy puppy-hood!
                    Patty
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thank you everyone. Squirt is having some issues already as well

UTI but the bigger issues is they see what they say is calcium oxalate crystals.

Going to start the UTI pills today and they are sending her home with a Hill's Prescription Diet (Urinary Care) for this.

I have been feeding her Wellness and just bought some Freeze Dried Tripe for her as I wanted to feed her well etc. and now ... ugh

They say these type of crystals don't dissolve so you don't want stones etc. I don't know much about this but it appears i'm going to learn some more things.

Comment

Eric,

So sorry to hear of this. Some pups do put us through the training process, don't they.

I did find this interesting article, if you have not read this.

http://franklintnvet.com/calcium-oxa...he-recurrence/

Best of luck,
                        Barb
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                          Eric,

So sorry to hear of this. Some pups do put us through the training process, don't they.

I did find this interesting article, if you have not read this.

http://franklintnvet.com/calcium-oxa...he-recurrence/

Best of luck,
                          Barb
                          Thank you, I tried to join a group that may have some more experience with this but so far they are not quite as friendly. Plus it's not set up as nice as this. This really feels like family here.

Comment

Hi everyone....

An update on my life-

I am currently in Columbia, MO with Squirt on vacation... today we will explore and look for places to walk. Any suggestions let me know!

I miss Sable every day. For anyone reading this, you know the connection we have with our pups and I seriously miss her... every day.
                            It's not hard to take care of them with diabetes, it's scary (especially at first) but it got to be a part of every day life (that I actually miss, all the time).
                            Cataracts,for me it was easy.... I had the surgery done and Sable could see again- one of the best decisions I made for her (again, it depends on the situation of course).

Anyway, just want to say hi and say a few things... yes I still shed tears some days but the legacy of Sable continues through my new dog Squirt. It's not the same, but without Squirt i'd really be a mess... #MissYouSable

Comment

It's good to hear from you, Eric.

The bond we develop with our diabetic canines is very deep and very strong, which Sable and you are more evidence of. I still get moist eyes whenever I think of Otis, ... and he left over three years ago.
                              You cared for your Sable's every need, showing your dedication and love for her for many years, which she knows.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                              X