Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sissy's Mom

For blood sugar to go low without food, there would have to be a problem with the liver, kidneys, or hormone pathways that maintain blood sugar in the absence of food. Those organs are involved in releasing stored sugar to maintain basal blood sugar.

If she is now intermittently or regularly needing much less insulin, the same issues can be behind a sudden need for less insulin.

I have seen this happen with a few dogs who had liver problems.

It would be good to have a full blood panel done before having the dental to check liver enzymes and kidney function. Always good to have done before any surgery but particularly if there's been a marked change in blood sugar.

Natalie

Comment

Yes,although lately I have often had to cut back cause she is in 40s to 50s mid day.
      WE see vet for pre op today.will post what she says,lol but I often dont agree with her.she thinks Sissy read the book,haha
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Natalie,
        Thank you sooo much.she had a full panel done last week and actually her liver #'s were high,but better than the panel 9 months ago. SHe has been on thyroid for six months now. Not home right now so can't give exact numbers,but most numbers were better.bun,cholesterol,alt,alk,etc
        I will post later after we see vet.
        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

hi

riles had teeth extracted last November
          he threw up an hour after getting home from the tube in his throat.

his blood sugar went low for the first few hours

I minced up his dry food with abit of water pureed

he had nothing to eat prior after 12 midnight

I injected 1 united of "r" before his surgery

got the flu think that's what I did

test u.all be fine

when I come too I might remember more

good luck

mo
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Sissy is scheduled for surgery friday morning. I always worry be glad when its done. They are really bad...
            Will post when I get her home

Comment

Maggie always ate some food before surgeries - my vet saw firsthand with her that she could drop like a rock with surgery. He said he had never seen anything quite like it - most dogs would be high and Maggie would be 40.

Hopefully, it will go well. Fingers and paws crossed for Sissy.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Jenny had a couple of dentals after being diabetic. The vet was nervous and really careful and it went well. Let us know how Sissy does!
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hoping all goes well on Friday!
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

fingers and paws crossed for an uneventful teeth cleaning procedure
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Prayers and good thoughts that all goes well for Sissy on Friday.

Jake
                      13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                      At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Sissy is home from surgery.she is very disoriented. She ate a little,wants more but am being cautious. She is 800!!!! She was 148 this morning so got no insulin.
                        She had 14 teeth removed,so vet said she thinks she has 4 left...I will check tomarrow. Also,will start antibiotic in morning.clindamycin...
                        Thank everyone for good thoughts and help...As always it is all greatly appreciated. ..

Comment

wow thats allot of teeth

I am sure she will feel much better after she heals
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh goodness, that is a lot of extractions. I hope she has some very effective pain medication, which would make her pretty out of it. Wishing her a full and speedy recovery.

Natalie

Comment

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Jake
                              13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                              At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Sissy had a restless nite.on 1 unit of levemir amd 1/3 of food,she went from 800+ to 100 in 4 hrs!!! She was 600 this morning and ate less than half food.I gave her 1 unit again and started the climdamycin..she is getting tramdol and now is resting very comfortably. Trying to balance the reduced food and insulin
                                Thanks for all the well wishes

Comment

Working...
                                X