Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please - advice needed.

Hello everyone,

After scanning the internet for I don’t know how many hours, days, weeks! I have just found this forum. I have an appointment with the vet next week but would love to know if anyone has been through anything similar or has any advice. I’m driving myself crazy.

I have a 6.5 female Doberman who was diagnosed with diabetes about 8 months ago, she was very very sick (ketoacidosis), we were very shocked to hear it as she was always so athletic and fed a raw diet. We’ve struggled to try and regulate her - she has 35 units twice a day now and is always thirsty and hungry. She has put on 20 lbs in the last few months. Shortly after she started improving from the insulin she started having bloody discharge, sores under her chin, an eye infection and sores i between her ‘toes’. We managed to fix her up after 2 courses of very strong antibiotics (which may her sick in itself). For a few months now she has been reasonably healthy other than excessive thirst and hunger (which in itself suggests she is not actually healthy). She has started having bloody discharge again, panting and light groaning occasionally. Still wants to eat, still wants to fetch her ball of an evening but lethargic in the day. She has a lump on the back of her leg (fatty cyst according to vet - it looks like a fatty cyst) but also a new lump on her throat - the size of a grape and hard to the touch. When she had the previous infection we were told definitely no cancer - she had all the tests and was told it was a bad case of vaginitis/infection.

Thank you for reading so far, I know it’s a lot. My questions are - could she be on too much insulin? (Drinking too much, hungry, panting…) Am I making her suffer?when do I know when to give up? When do we stop the regular antibiotics, when is enough enough of spending all of our money on vets and insulin (currently we spend around $700 a month on her medication and food not including any vets bills), vet bills have been thousands. I want to do what I can for my dog but I fear I can’t make any right decisions currently.

Re: Please - advice needed.

I have been gone from this forum for a dozen years, so.don't remember much useful information. But I would have your vet check for Cushings. Some of your dog's symptoms are those of Cushings and it is a companion illness of diabetes.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Thank you for responding. I will ask the vet about cushings. I know my first message was a little confusing - I’m just feel as though I can’t see how things are with her - whether I should be continuing to fight for my dear dog or if the humane thing is to help her rest peacefully.

I know there is probably not a ‘right’ or wrong answer either way. Hopefully after her vets appointment next week I’ll have a little clarity.

Comment

yes hello and welcome

sorry your doby,s going through this

theres not enough info data, could you please

where is the bloody discharge?
        post a few curves done?
        is she spayed?
        how much does she way?
        what food and how much?
        what meds is she taking?
        what insulin and how much?

thanks this may help us help you.more
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thank you for your response.

- The bloody discharge is from her vagina, is very sporadic and she had it a few months back when she was diagnosed with an infection (they used a scope). Now it has returned (we previously got rid of it via a lot of very strong antibiotics which I don’t really want to put her through again as she suffered on them).

- Yes she was spayed after her first heat as a puppy. She will be 7 in Dec and we’ve had her since she was 8 weeks.

- She always weighed 75 lbs which is her ideal weight, she dropped to 65 when she was first diagnosed and was very skinny for her and now is up to 90 lbs which is a lot for her.

- We always fed her raw (chicken, eggs, other meat etc) but our vet convinced us to switch her to kibble (seems backwards I know) so now she is on Fromms since being diagnosed about 8 months ago. She has about 6 cups a day as she just acts absolutely starving.

- Humulin N insulin - 35 units but this week we’ve reduced it to 30 to see if it’ll ‘help’.

- She is also on 50 mg of Proin twice a day for incontinence which I can’t help but think isn’t good for her.

- Unfortunately we don’t have her curve info which I know is important to help but this was always done at the vet; her blood was never regulated though - I think the lowest was 300.

Thank you very much, obviously I know you can’t diagnose anything but I appreciate any input - may help with questions to ask the vet or just general comfort.

Best.

Comment

i would suggest seeing an internist for the vaginal bleeding ask your vet.

4 cups of food a day is recommended on the Fromm website. i wouldnt advise changing anything until further testing is done

for insulin its difficult to tell without curves.

i would ask your vet to show you how to home test using a hand held meter
            this way you.ll be in charge and feel safer.

she will require more insulin because of the bleeding. this is your number one priority to find whats causing it.

good luck at your appointment. let us know how it goes.
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

The hunger and thirst definitely point to the need to check for Cushing's disease and perhaps also hypothyroidism since she's gaining weight - she at least does not seem to be on too little insulin.

Her dose of insulin is larger than average but not excessive - insulin resistance is defined as about 1 unit per pound and still without controlled blood sugar. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5008

Do you test her blood sugar at home?

Over the years, I've found that dobermans can be challenging - their insulin needs can change periodically. There are a few breeds like this.

Testing her blood sugar is the best way to sort out the insulin question.

See http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html for how to collect a sample and http://www.k9diabetes.com/monitoring.html regarding ways to monitor her blood sugar.

You don't need to use the ear as vets often do. Lips, elbow callouses and the back at the base of the tale all work well with dogs.

And that new lump needs to be checked out.

Comment

Working...
              X