Fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks

Its almost the 5th November and for us in the UK that means fireworks.
    They are already being sold in stores and almost every night people are setting them off.
    Skye is so terrified of them and gets into a real state. Panting, wont settle, drooling, shaking the works.
    I have tried a DAP diffuser, some CD meant to help desensitise her to the noise herbal stuff meant to keep her calm, making her a den and eventually last year I had to give her a sedative on the night of the 5th as thats the worst night for it.
    I hated having to de that to her, she was totally out of it and the whole thing was really upsetting.
    Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what else we can try or should I just get her another sedative from the vet for this year?

Help!
    Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Re: Fireworks

oh I despise the Fourth of July and New Years here in the States. All 5 of my dogs are scared to death of the noise.

I bring them into the house, contain them in my kitchen and about an hour or so before the noise gets under way I turn on my radio to the wildest heavy metal music. It seems to prepare them for the crazy sounds which they don't seem to notice as much when the outside fireworks begin to go off.

I know some will use quiet calming sounds but for me it works better to let my dogs think the crazy noises are coming from their own safe house.
    They just don't get as scared.

Good luck with this...I just hate this scenario.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Allison,
      I wish I had a better solution for you. Fireworks are just horrible for dogs that are afraid of them.

Heavy metal huh, Eileen! Do you wear ear plugs all night? The theory makes sense, but made me laugh out loud!

Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Robbie is deathly afraid of fireworks, lightning, recycling...the usual

I've given up on all the behavior stuff, soothing stuff, etc. They don't work with Robbie and he just gets TOO upset. To a dangerous level, actually, where he tries to "escape" at all costs and that's not a great idea for an almost blind dog.

We give him one pill of Alprazolam when expecting a storm. If we give it a couple of hours before it's expected it works wonders and it has to be pretty bad before he even notices it. He'll still eat through a storm (which is very necessary with the insulin, of course). It makes him sleepy but not overly so and he is just calmer.

I haven't seen it have a detrimental effect on his BG. Certainly no more than the fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
          Allison,
          I wish I had a better solution for you. Fireworks are just horrible for dogs that are afraid of them.

Heavy metal huh, Eileen! Do you wear ear plugs all night? The theory makes sense, but made me laugh out loud!

Patty
          Haha, no, no ear plugs Patty.

I had tried using softer back ground music, even the tv but they would still flinch with every 'bang'.....so I decided, if I can't beat them, join them....it seems to keep them distracted enough that they don't notice what is coming from outside.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I like the heavy metal idea as the tv doesn't help but I have an elderly lady living next door so through the wall from me and imagine she will be too pleased with that
            Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

I've never used it but I know many who use the anxiety meds for storms or fireworks. it does help and doesn't seem to have any negative affect. i don't think a sedative hurts every once in awhile. i tried to get forbin use to storms by not reacting and going about our normal business. it never worked. he almost climbed the walls. benadryl worked for him
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Here's an article by Dr. Karen Overall, board-certified veterinary behaviorist in the U.S.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm....jsp?id=136493

You'll see she recommends using Alprazolam, and I see, Jaye, that you are on to that. I certainly would not HESITATE to use it, providing it won't actively endanger a dog's health; the alternative, to be so terribly scared, just is not good at all. It's not that anybody will make a druggie of the dog by using it. It's to get through emergencies without active harm being done.

I quote from page 2 of the article:

Alprazolam (Xanax) is my preferred drug of choice for storm and noise phobias....
                Must go to bed; good night, all.

Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:47:17 (PDT)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

I can totally sympathize with fireworks phobia thing. Our Zac is ok-ish with thunderstorms (due to some good early conditioning I did, I think) but is totally unhinged by even very distant fireworks - or anything that could possibly be fireworks. If he can hear it there is a problem.

Fortunately for us all fireworks to date have been fairly distant - certainly no neighbors letting them off or anything. This means we've been able to manage by having him inside in his crate (he wouldn't want to be anywhere else!). Once the pops and bangs were sufficiently loud that I had to put an FM radio off the channel on (loud white noise) so he couldn't hear anything while inside.

If the neighbors started playing for fireworks it would be time for the 1812 Overture on the stereo and a dose of Valium (or Zanax) - and not necessarily in that order! I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to reach for that medication.

Alison

Comment

Working...
                  X