Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack - new to my house

He let me put it on him one more time just now if I promised to never ever make him wear it again... This is actually the first pic we took a few days ago though. I still liked it the best.

That's Jeff restraining him from thrashing his grad hat!

Comment

Oh Natalie,
      How cute. He is going to be one smart fellow and just for the record, pattycake always bored me too, couldn't see the sense in it.
      Jenny & Buddy

Comment

Jenny - you always crack me up! I think you're right cuz Jack just thinks it's dumb!

Comment

Nat, he is too cute !! What a lil baby, give him a hug for me.!!
          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

This week he has a horrible looking track across the whole length of his nose after Gus got cranky when they were sharing a room and raked him big time. Jack didn't even yelp. I didn't realize for a few minutes that Gus had nailed him, til I looked at his face and saw the tracks with little drops of blood beading up.... .

He has been much more diligent since then about staying away from the cats... poor guy. I felt terrible.

Gus has been prickly lately - he wrapped his claws around my upper arm this afternoon.

But Jack got to go to the dog park and chase a smaller dog who was perfect for him. The other dog cared only about her ball and Jack treated the dog like she was a ball. Other dog eyes the ball, waits excitedly for it to fly and takes off after it. Jack eyes the dog, waits excitedly for her to fly and takes off after her. Exact same behavior only Jack was focused on the dog. She took off after the ball, Jack took off after her, everybody was happy and tired!

Still waiting for the DNA results... I'm getting most impatient!

Natalie

Comment

So last night my husband wasn't feeling well so was sleeping and I was trying to track down resources for Lucie... so Jack ate part of the rug in front of the front door to protest his abandonment. He's so quiet that it really doesn't work as an attention-getting device!

And the DNA test results are back....

wait

wait

wait

wait

wait

wait

wait...

He's a plain old border collie!! Nothing else mixed in at all!

Somehow, I'm vaguely disappointed by this!

Natalie

Comment

Natalie,
                So it looks like Jack is "normal". Regardless what breeds a dog has, his/her personality is what makes them who they are and that makes them special. Border Collie is a great breed so Jack has a good start but he will always be Jack.
                Jenny & Buddy

Comment

New information about Jack - he does NOT like fireworks! Independence Day is definitely going to be a challenge.

Comment

I'm told Jack might be a McNab border collie.

Comment

Bordie Collie !, all I can say is he will be great, obedient, great watch dog and will talk back to you, Niki has constantly wanted peted since she came to our house, Is Jack still keeping his paws on your foot? Niki likes to have a paw on someones foot. I'm waiting for when he talks back to you or when his water bowl gets down he starts clanging it around to tell you he wants water.
                      Last edited by eyelostit; 01-03-2009, 12:20 AM.
                      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

New information about Jack - he does NOT like fireworks! Independence Day is definitely going to be a challenge.
                        My Zac doesn't like fireworks either - doesn't mind thunderstorms though - which is odd. When he was younger I did make an effort to make thunderstorms a "happy" thing by throwing treats around during storms so I think that may have helped. We got "caught" by some fireworks while out walking and that didn't help!

You can get DVD/CD's/MP3 files of sounds of thunderstorms and fireworks to help desensitize frightened animals (probably works on people too!). You start with it played very quietly and slowly increase the volume while associating it with good things.

A friend of mine has a BC who just loves thunderstorms and has to be securely shut inside because he wants to go out and "chase" the lightning! They live on top of a ridge.......

Alison

Comment

I think I might do desensitization not only on fireworks but on the terriers next door. It wouldn't be too difficult to record them barking and then play that in the house.

I think that will work better for him than the party approach, which we have been trying, but since this occurs when he's inside the house we can't get the stress/volume/stimulus down to a manageable level.

It didn't help that the fireworks were going off outside a large window with no cover of it - patio slider - and very close by. He could not only hear it but see the flashes. We did then put him in his crate where the sound was muffled and there was no visual, but he was pretty wound up by that point.

We have managed to desensitize him to some minor things he's afraid of, like pipes with a frost/UV cover. Those he just had to sniff and then he was fine. But the purple balloon down by the river the other day was too much for him to handle! Silly boy. He was scared spitless of it and wouldn't get close enough to sniff it even when I held it!

Comment

you just made me think of the hot air balloons that used fly over, my dogs could not take it, I could not hear it at first, but they really hated that thing.

Comment

Hello there Natalie

This is pretty late congrats (even for me :0)) but I was thinking of you and saw this post when I visited and wanted to congratulated you on your new member of your family.

He looks such a cutie, very handsome, and sounds a character!

Love Sharon, Zeno and Bobs xxxx

Comment

Sharon!!!!

How lovely to see you here!! That just made my day to see your name, along with Zeno and Bobs!

How is Mr. Zeno doing? And how are you?

Jack is definitely a handful and totally runs our lives.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X