Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Taylor - Road to Regulation

Pat,
How was Taylor's blood sugar this morning?
Kevin
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM

At 9:30pm last night Taylor was at 347. Normally he gets one cup of dry food about 10pm, but last night he did without and didn’t seem to mind. He threw up a little at 3am and was at 338. By 6am today he was at 343 and by 9:30am at 369. My contour meter reads about 80 pts low so I am guessing he’s running in the low 400’s. He is not very lively but I am hoping things will improve as the day progresses. I was much more careful with this mornings shot.

Kevin, I am very interested in your plans to deal with the hind leg weakness. I am having the same issues with Taylor, although it really does get much better once the numbers come down. I would like to investigate B-12 supplementation. I live in a rural area and any specialized vet care would be hundreds of miles away.

Peggy and Kevin, I am interested in the Blue Buffalo food, but all I can find at Tractor Supply is the regular food in the blue bag. Do you think that would be better than the science diet light? All the Blue Buffalo food seems to have glucosamine and Taylor has not done well with that in the past. He is taking Meloxicam, in the human formulation for arthritis (1/2 of a 7.5 mg tablet). I was paying over $100 per month for rimadyl and the Meloxicam is $12 for a 3 month supply and seems to work just as well. The vet said because of his size I could use the human pills which are much cheaper.

Pat
Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Sounds like you did great Pat. We've all done the fur shot at one time or another I think. I know I have. And it's frustrating but better to not give additional insulin and get back on track with the next shot.

If your Tractor Supply company carries the Blue Buffalo brand, I would guess they could get the weight management from their distributor with the next shipment. It might be worth asking about having them order for you.

Patty
Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Taylor’s one year diabetes anniversary was yesterday. I can’t believe I have managed to get up at 6am every day. Just wanted to let everyone know that our life no longer revolves around diabetes and we have seen a slow and steady improvement in his health. Thanks in large part to this web site; Taylor’s care has become so routine that the diabetes does not seem to interfere with much of anything. Yes he has lost most of his eyesight, but he does not seem to care, and it has been so gradual that we have adapted easily. To refresh everyone’s memory—Taylor, age 11 ½, weighs 83 lbs, is on 34units of nph 2xday and is fed 1 cup science diet lite dry and ½ can W/D canned at 6am and 6pm. He also gets 1 cup of the dry at about 9am and 9pm. We spaced the food out this way to deal with an after meal spike. Last year at this time he was unable to stand up on his own. The hind end weakness has slowly improved to the point that he can again do stairs with a bit of assistance (no assistance needed during thunderstorms). He even went on a four mile hike last weekend and boy did he have fun. The extra food he got to deal with the exercise was a bonus! He will come and tell us when he is running low, in other words, he nags unmercifully for food. I generally test twice a day before insulin and may adjust ½ unit up or down if necessary. Thank you all for such a wonderful resource. We couldn’t have done it without your assistance. Pat
Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Hi Pat!

Wow!!! What overwhelmingly wonderful news about Taylor! You made my day.

Natalie
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM

That is sooooo wonderful! Congratulations to you and Taylor!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:42 PM

That's fantastic news Pat!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO TAYLOR!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Shoot... I got so excited about all the good news that I breezed past the anniversary!

Happy Happy Anniversary to you and Taylor!!

And wishes for many many more.

Natalie
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I am very interested in your plans to deal with the hind leg weakness. I am having the same issues
I've been attempting to read some of most of the posts because I find info I'd not thought to ask about. This is an example. Our pet has hind leg weakness which the vet said (several years ago) was arthritis. It became worse in the month before she was diagnosed. Could one of you give me more information about this? I think someone said the weakness became less (or better) as the BG numbers came down. True?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Mary Lea,

The weakness that started a month before diagnosis could be neuropathy. Here's a link:
http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropathy