Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Yoo Hoo!

Hi,

Having gotten a bit of news from a couple of folks we haven't seen in a while, I decided we are overdue for a check-in/update.

So tell us how you are doing and how your dog(s) is doing - even if your dog isn't diabetic!

You can post anything that comes to mind - just hello, news about you, the fact that you have no news, whatever!

Natalie
Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up Re: Yoo Hoo!

Whosie? Woozy! I'm trying to collect my wits for an update on Kumbi. Meantime, enjoying all the threads, and glad to see people returning, as well as some new ones.

I tell ya; there's no forum like this one! Kumbi agrees with me; he tells me, that's why I spend so much time here, instead of other places. And, Kumbi, I am with you when I'm here!

I know, Mum, but it's not the same THING! Come brush me now!

Okay, I'm coming!

Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:19:09 (PDT)
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 AM

Talking Re: Yoo Hoo!

"Yoo Hoo" to everyone!

Well, my "patience hat" has been restored to almost new! It got a little shredded there for a while! We've come a long way since I first came here on January 15th of this year! We couldn't have done it without all the tremendous help and support from folks here on the forum!

Little Ladybug is just humming right along! Doing our readings only twice a day now unless I sense something going on! Hopefully, she's finally settling down! She's starting to gain her weight back and getting some meat on her bones!

We've been doing a lot of "happy dances"!

Linda and Ladybug
Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 AM

Talking Re: Yoo Hoo!

Hello everyone!

I was busy yesterday with more flooding issues...this has been the worst rain in the Northeast since August, 1955, so the worst rain in my lifetime! My backyard is a lake, the Ipswich river remains a problem, and there are detours everywhere on the North Shore.

In the meantime, Ozzi is doing unbelievably well!!! He is responding well to tramadol and I can see the difference. He's happier, and so am I. Except for the weather the past couple of days, I have been able to take him for short walks and he loves it! We're both getting used to his blindness. The last time we went for a walk, he tripped over a divot in the yard and fell onto his chest and abdomen with all four legs sprawled out. I felt awful...he got right up and wanted to continue the walk. I'm learning to be a better seeing-eye Dad!

Ozzi's BG's are better and for the first time staying more consistent! He spiked into the 500's again, which prompted several changes and they seem to be working well. He is now having BG's in the very low 300's both at 8am and 8pm. Still too high, but we'll get there. I really wish I had come to this web site earlier in Ozzi's diabetic life, but we're getting there, just more slowly than it should have been.

I am now so aware (maybe too aware) of diabetes! Yesterday Abby (Ozzi's 13 year old buddy) was panting which she usually does not do and it seemed she was drinking more than usual. This morning (being overly sensitive about diabetes) I took her fasting BG...76...and then took a deep breath! LOL

That's my update! Life is good and my dogs are doing well...who could ask for anything more!

Last edited by ozzi; 03-31-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Yoo Hoo!

Forbes is doing better on the 1/2 dose of tramadol 2x a day vs. as needed. I've got his BGs under control while he's on this meds. This am he was great. We take everything one day at a time. Hope the weather changes for you kevin and glad to hear ozzi is doing well
Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 AM

HURRAY PEGGY!!!!!!! I am SO glad that Forbin is doing better!!! I also have Ozzi on the 1/2 dose of tramadol twice/day and find he is definitely better on it twice/day than as needed. I had hoped to use it on an as needed basis also, but I find it IS needed twice/day! I'm really glad you got his BG under control. Taking it all one day at a time is definitely the way to roll, and I'm always happy to hear that Forbes is having a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin
Old 04-03-2010, 09:16 AM

Taylor's check in. I was looking forward to a dose I could stay on for awhile and thought it was going to be 34 units per shot. Then after more than a week on that dose I had my first scare-- readings of 35 on the contour and 48 rechecking with the one touch mini, with no observable symptoms. Spent a little more than a week working backwards down to 30 units per shot and then a couple of weeks working upward again to 33 units per shot. My plan is to stay on this dose for at least 10 days unless I get another low reading. Still having hind end weakness and his eyesight is failing, but when I get home from work he still does his happy dance. Although we adopted him as an adult dog, I believe he is just turning 11 years, and for a large dog I know our time together is growing short. Pat
Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Pat,
Ozzi also gets hind leg weakness when his sugars are high, but he returns to baseline when they get into better control. Hopefully that will be the case for Taylor as well. Eleven years old? That's just a pup! Ozzi is a big dog as well and will be 14 this year. I know Natalie's Chris was large and 14 as well, so you might just have a lot more time with Taylor!! Happy Easter!
Kevin
Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Well as those of you know from my thread desexing Gypsy was the best thing I could have done! Diagnosed on the 27th January 2010, Gypsy was very ill. High levels of Ketones and very lethargic. We came across this by accident when they ran the bloods before she was due to have anaesthetic to get a mammary tumour out. Op was put off until she became regulated and more stable. Starting on a dose of 21 units going as high as 33 units always once daily for us. We also got her weight down from 24 kilos to 20 kilos thanks to her new food and the same exercise each day. This new routine has done wonders for her and also myself.

So then in Feb she was stable enough for the op (spay and mammary tumour in one), I was scared as she is 10 and had never had an op. Well she came through well and we haven't looked back. After the spay we have been slowly decreasing right now sitting on 4 units once daily.

From 33 units to 4 units!!

Mind you our vet is amazing, very switched on!!

Connie and Gypsy.
Gypsy Belle born January 2000 Australian Smokey Kelpie (Kelpie X Blue Heeler) Weighs in at 20 kilos. Before desexing 33 units caninsulin once daily, after desexing..wait for it, wait for it....0 units?? Half can Advance morning and night. Diagnosed Jan 2010, off insulin May 2010
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Founding Member

Hello there mates,

We've just been very busy, Niki's bg has been good. Other than that too many things going on now that have me overwhelmed.

Dolly & Niki
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday