Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Dozer Newly Diagnosed Lab

Hey Kevin - glad to see Ozzi is doing better! So is Dozer however I am now leaning towards the strips going bad & not a hypo event... On one of the afternoon pokes yesterday I tried a different meter & got a reading of 417 even though my normal meter was reading E-1 error still. I opened a new bottle of strips & have NOT had that error since I plan on calling Accu Check to talk to them about this - if it happens again I'm off that meter! It was weird though cause I stuck myself & got a reading....did a control with the stuff they give you & got a reading- so I don't really understand it. He showed no signs of hypo yesterday and his readings the rest of the day (the few I did cause we had unexpected company show up) were all in his normal range. This morning his fasting reading at 6:50 AM was 280. He is due to eat in 45 minutes & I'll stick him again but he seems good.

Hope Ozzi is feeling better today as well. Uncertaintity is a horrible feeling when you are dealing with the well being of a loved one (human or otherwise). I believed he was going hypo and I was just so unsure of what to do. Thank goodness for this forum and for Peggy being on line - it is so great to have a "Virtual Hand Holder" during times like that!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Hey Lori,

I'm so happy to hear that Dozer is doing well today! So that's an interesting possibility regarding the strips, and a good thing to keep in mind if it the same thing happens again. I don't know why you would get normal ranges with the controls and with testing on yourself, but get errors with him, but it could be possibly explained by the fact that dogs' red cells are different from ours and the meters are made for humans, so maybe that was a factor. Another reason could be if you didn't get enough of a drop of blood on the strip, but I doubt that happened, since I know you have been doing this for a while! It will be interesting if Accu Check sheds any light on this...let us know!

In the meantime, even if it was a false alarm, YOU experienced a hypo with Dozer, and honestly, it's good to get through the first one! The "practice" makes it easier to deal more calmly with another one if it should happen...sort of like a fire drill!! LOL, but it's true!

I know exactly what you mean by "virtual hand holding," and Peggy is one of the people here whom I rely on, in addition to Patty, Natalie, Carol, Eileen, and many, many others all of whom are great hand holders!!
Kevin

Last edited by ozzi; 05-24-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Glad to hear Dozer is ok and Peggy was here to help, Lori. That's nice you had another meter to compare to later yesterday. I would definitely call Accuchek about the errors if you are getting a reading on another meter and not your current one.

Take care!
Patty
Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM

9:30AM reading was 329 I will certainly post what Accu-Chek has to say re the E-1 errors yesterday.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 PM

So my mother-in-law just sent me a Bayer CONTOUR meter & about 200 strips that don't expire for a year. I just tested Dozer with my normal Accu-Chek meter & the Contour using the same drop of blood. Accu-Chek showed 400 & Contour showed 351. Anyone have any experience with the Contour? 200 test strips is surely making me want to use it but not at Dozers expense if you know what I mean.......I have always used the Accu-Chek so my #'s even if they are off, they are consistent

Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Here is a post that Natalie put out a while back:

A recent study of six blood glucose meters reflects favorably on the OneTouch Ultra.

Quote:
ACVIM 2008 Abstract

Evaluation of Six Portable Blood Glucose Meters in Dogs.
T. Cohen, R. Nelson, P. Kass, E. Feldman
School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis

The purpose of this study was to evaluate six portable blood glucose meters (PBGMs) - AlphaTrak, OneTouch, Elite XL, AccuChek, Precision, Contour - for use in dogs. One hundred fifty-eight venous blood samples were asayed for glucose using all PBGMs in randomized order and by a reference hexokinase method. Results from the PBGMs and reference hexokinase method (HM) were compared.

HM blood glucose concentrations ranged from 41 to 639 mg/dl. There was excellent correlation between PBGMs and HM results (table). Results were consistently low for 4 PBGMs compared with HM results. High and low results were common with the AlphaTrak. The difference in results between PBGMs and HM increased as blood glucose concentrations increased. Difference in results between PBGM and HM were significantly (p<0.0001) less for the AlphaTrak and OneTouch and significantly (p<0.01) higher for the Contour compared with other PBGMs. Problems with correct identification of hypoglycemia (<70 mg/dl), normoglycemia (70-120 mg/dl), and hyperglycemia (>200 mg/dl) varied between PBGMs (table).

Percent Incorrect from Reference Range
AlphaTrak -- 18
OneTouch -- 21
EliteXL -- 45
AccuChek -- 45
Precision -- 49
Contour -- 73

Results of this study support use of the AlphaTrak and OneTouch glucose meters based on significantly closer results with HM.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 PM

My Bayer Contour meter reads 75 points lower than lab value. I have two of the one touch minis but I really like the contour meter better. Pat
Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the input. I have 2 mini ultra touch meters brand new...well except for yesterday when I wanted to double check my accu chek. Maybe I'll use up all the strips for all the meters I have & then move onti the mini's..........I would rather be as close to real as possible.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM

I use the Bayer Contour for Ozzi, and I love it because it's so easy to use and you don't have to code it beforehand. It also provides you with every value (even low ones) and the only time I have gotten an error message is if I didn't get enough blood for the meter to read. In an earlier post, you mentioned that you got a particular error code this weekend that indicated the sugar was too low, but it didn't display the value. I know that others here do not like the Contour because they have found it isn't as accurate as other meters. I need to check it against Ozzi's blood when it's taken at the vet and sent for analysis so I can determine how much it is off.
Kevin
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Hey Kevin - I did like the fact I didn't have to code the contour but that isn't really a big deal if the numbers are more accurate. I also like that it used a tiny amount of blood. But if my Accu Chek is off by "about" 45 & then the Contour is off from that # by another 50, that is a BIG number now to be off...if his sugar is reading in mid 400's then it is really near or over 500 and can be a false security blanket. Same goes for lower numbers....if I get a reading on the Accu Chek of mid to low 100's (I WISH) it could be much lower without realizing it.

Boy - the more I learn the more I realize how much I just don't know!!