Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Putting Peggy's name on this thread

Thanks Natalie! I'm so happy I found this website. I love my vet but its very much a 'matter of fact' to him although he is available anytime I call. I'm looking forward to the laughing part

Dogs name/Breed: Forbin Lab/Border Collie Mix

Weight: 77

Diet: blue lamb and Rice; chicken protein strips for treats

Insulin: Vetsulin 2x a day 15 at the moment; just started this; nerve racking

I just found out forbes is diabetic. He's 9 and a big boy. Not fat, but long legs/shaped more like a shepard. He has cataract in one eye and starting in another.

My vet started him at 20 Units 2 x a day and he came up negative on urine strips for 6 hours so he dropped him to 15 yesterday. Today he is again negative for 6 hours. He is acting perfectly normal. Gave him a few extra treats. Have to see what the reading is at 6p to determine if I give him a shot tonight.

I know I have to have patience, but this is very stressful
Old 12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Welcome Peggy and Forbin

We have ALL been where you are now and trust me - the first part is the worst part! A few months from now you will look back and laugh at how difficult it seemed at first. Eventually, managing your diabetic dog is about as stressful as brushing your teeth in the morning.

I see you are uploading some pictures so I'm anxious to see Forbin.

We just adopted a border collie mix, Jack, who is a little over a year old. He is mixed with something shorter haired, possibly lab, whippet... we are waiting for the results of his DNA test in hopes of finding out what he's made of.

Our diabetic dog, Chris, passed away on August 1.

You can see their pictures by looking at my public profile gallery.

Welcome... I promise you it does get easier.

Natalie
Old 12-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

With the negative urine test results generating concern about going too low, have you consider home testing blood glucose?

Then you can KNOW whether the BG is going too low - it's a major sanity-saver.

You can see us test Chris on the lip - he weighed about 60 pounds - at http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html. His movie is a big file so give it time to dowload if you decide to watch it.

Forbin is very handsome. Much darker than the border collie mix we just adopted, who has all the white blazes, socks, and tail tip.

Natalie
Old 12-18-2008, 03:17 PM

I watched the video's and ordered one on line. Can't wait until it gets here so i have more peace of mind. the lip test looks easier than I thought it would be. Thanks !!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Cool!

I know you'll love being able to know his blood sugar.

Chris was not big on having his lip handled when we first started testing and he was really wiggly at first. You'd never know it from that video, made four years later, but I was a total klutz at first.

Most of his last four years we tested three to four times a day as he was on a weird regimen of four shots a day. He didn't mind tests at all.

We actually usually had him lie on his side on the floor when we tested (which was not possible for the video), though we could test him sitting or standing too.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Founding Member

Hi Peggy and welcome to you and Forbin.
It really does get easier with time.
Natalie, I just watched your video of testing Chris and your voice doesn't sound like I thought it would. Not sure what I expected but just didn't match my picture of you in my head. And boy do you make it look easy, we also test Buddy on the lip but although he is now a good patient I am a lot more fumbly with it.
Jenny & Buddy
Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Yeah... it doesn't sound like I expected either! I always think my voice is deeper but people call me on the phone and think I'm a kid...
Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Founding Member

Peggy and Forbin

Welcome to the board ask any questions even if you think they are dumb... we have already asked them No question is a dumb question.

You will get the help or info you need and the support here, check the info pages and the stories of our dogs with diabetes.

Dolly
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Founding Member

Welcome!!! We have all been where you are today, and we understand that it can be overwhelming at first...the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask. There is a wealth of information and knowledge here (these moderators are terrific)...and combined wisdom from the members is invaluable. I am looking forward to getting to know you and Forbin.....welcome, again.

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky
Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

Default I'm so so stressed

My Vet increased Forbins insulin yesterday to 25 U twice a day, This am was his first dose coming from 22 and no luck getting his curve down below 200. His curve today so far is :

730 370
930 351
1130 306
115 239
300 89
345 65
415 76

I took him to the vet at 3 because it dropped to 89 and to see how closely my accu trak monitor was to his testing. His shows 101, and he said it should start going back up. When I came home I checked it and it was 65 at 345. I got very very nervous and fed him early. He usually eats at 6p. I just called my vet to explain this to him and asked him when and if I should give him a shot.

He told me I'm paying way too much attention to the monitor vs. how the dog was behaving and to give him his insulin when it got back up to 250. I'm a nervous wreck. I'm looking for a new vet after many many years, but this is just so stressful.

What would you all do in this situation. Forbin is acting fine.

I'd appreciate any of your thoughts.