Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Founding Member

Default Nelson

Have you ever had the perfect dog?

I was given a purebred Kelpie (no papers) by a close friend when he was 10 weeks old. He was a dark chocolate brown and so serene I named him Nelson after Nelson Mandela. Although he was a working breed he never dug holes or barked madly or chased inappropriate things as he grew into a beautiful natured dog.

We had chickens that he would round up gently and put back into their enclosure and although he was much larger (25kg) he always let the little fluffy dogs boss him around without a growl or even a nasty look. I must admit he had a couple of issues when he was younger which resulted in emergency vet visits. He jumped at a high metal fence at a neighbours dogs an sliced his jaw open and another time he impaled himseld on a metal post. Both times after some stitching and pain relief he was back to normal in a few days and since those early vet visits has only ever been to the vet yearly for annual vaccinations.

I took him to obedience classes and he excelled at everything. We made it to the top class after only 6 months which was a record at that obedience school and even joined the super dog team that went around to shows and demonstrated obedience and also agility.

All that was years ago now and my Nelson is now 14yo and just recently started to have a bit of arthritic pain. Nelson has been to the vet and been having Pentosan injections (a course of 4, one each week) and after the first two I was seeing a great improvement in his movement but last week after number 3 he started to get lame and hobble around.

Last night he collapsed and couldn't get up so we headed to the vet and he was given an injection of Temgesic (an opioid) for the pain and sent home with Tramal for the pain and Rimadyl. He had a quiet night and had a Tramal this morning but he doesn't want to move off his bed. I don't want him to suffer but I also don't want to give up on him.

Hopefully I can keep him pain free over the Easter break and assess his quality of life. It has happened so quick I am not ready for him to go but I know I would never be ready.

If you have the time Nelson would appreciate prayers, and if you can spare a few more so would I that I can be strong if this is truly the end.

Jenny

Update-

I helped Nelson to his final sleep yesterday and he has gone to meet Buddy.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Nelson

Jenny... I'm so very sorry to hear about Nelson's passing. It is very hard when it is so sudden but it is so good to know that Nelson was granted a long healthy painfree life - which he obviously very much deserved - for almost every day of his 14 years and that is a blessing.

What a good boy Nelson was.

Natalie
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Founding Member

Jemmy
I am sorry about Nelson. Losing 2 dogs is not easy. My prayers are with you and your family.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Jenny,
I am so very sorry to hear about Nelson. What a wonderful story you shared about him. Glad he is no longer in pain, though I know you will miss him dearly.
Patty
Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 PM

Sounds like Nelson was one very special dog. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing and how suddenly you had to make the decision. But I'm glad he didn't suffer long and that he had Buddy waiting for him. He had a long and wonderful life and I hope that brings you some comfort as you heal.

(((Hugs)))

Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Founding Moderator

Jenny,

I know how hard this was for you; you've lost two very special dogs in a short period of time. If you weren't a very strong and a very special lady, Nelson and Buddy would never have had the marvelous lives they did.

When they have to leave us, we need to think about how things would have been if we never had the pleasure of their company at all, and how much poorer we would have been without it.

Kathy
Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Founding Member

Aw, I'm so sorry, I did not see this until now, they are so much a part of us and happening so close to Buddy,

Those we love don't go away,
They walk beside us every day,
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear

Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 04-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Interim CC

Jen,

I am sad for you and everyone who was close to Nelson. Many of the cc.net people who are not members here are also expressing their condolances in emails, in particular Marianne.

Scott
Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Founding Member

Oh Jenny!!!!

I am so very sorry to hear the news about Nelson. Thanks for sharing his story with us. You were a great mom to him and Buddy. I know how much you loved them. Special hugs being sent from my house to yours.

Luv,
Lynne and My Sweet Precious Angel Lady
Old 04-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Interim CC

I have to smile Jen when I am reading about your Nelson - thank you for telling us more.

My heart aches with you Jen and I am sure both your furbabies are watching over you right now. I surely hope Nelson has met up with my Mytilda - they will have the entire Bridge in "herding" order in no time.

Big ((((((hugs)))))))
In loving memory of your sweet Nelson - please post some photos if you have not already - I am new here and have not looked around yet.
Terry