Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 AM

Default Angel update - treatment with trilo

Hi - Angel is off for a 5 mo ACTH. In November her results were so low they were unreadable. I really thought I was going to lose her in the fall. She had been off meds since Nov and when I tried to put her back on 30 mg (from her Oct/Nov high of 75 mg of trilo daily) she looked ill after 3 days. So...I started liquid trilo from Diamondback - first at 15 mg now she is down to about 9 mg/day. We'll see what today brings. Take care - Joyce, Pebbles & Angel
Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Angel update - treatment with trilo

Hi Joyce,

Good to see you here! I'm glad you have a giggle to take to the vet today. Maybe that will make things less stressful for you and Angel.

I am glad she is doing well still and look forward to those numbers on the stim.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Interim CC

Joyce -- I am so glad you found us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll be anxiously awaiting your test results.

Big welcoming wishes,
Marianne
Old 04-20-2009, 05:41 AM
Interim CC

Joyce,

I sure am glad you found us too.

Keep us updated
Terry
Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Well, first off, I told the 3 gals at the front desk about Leslie's Leslie 'n' Squirt search - they were schreeching with laughter!
Angel did not have her stim today. Dr. Berger wants her to be on a consistent dose for 30 days before testing. I had been doing the "15 mg is too much, let's stop for 2 days then try 12 mg" As soon as I started her on the 15 mg liquid her symptoms disappeared in 3 days. Drinking/peeing reduced and appetite abated slightly. Hey, she's a beagle so I expect her to always be excited about food! She did start with the shaking of her front half when inhaling as she was resting and then it stops when she enters a deep sleep - this was something she did when over-medicated in the fall. Over the past 2 weeks when her appetite noticably decreased and the shaking increased I would not medicate the next day or two then I decreased the dose on the 3rd day. I am thinking it's the only way to find the proper dosage. So...going forward it will be 6mg every morning and a stim test in 30 days. I can't believe it is 6mg for a dog who was at 60mg daily when I got her 2 1/2 years ago! Talk to you soon - Joyce, Pebbles & Angel
Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Interim CC

Hi Joyce, Waiting to hear more. Scott
Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Hi Joyce,

I'm waiting too!!!

Louise
Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Oh God - I just discovered something - Angel is doing that upper body shaking thing on the inhale, and I was stoking her outer right thigh to calm her. For some reason I felt the inner thigh and the vibration in the vein - I'm thinking her pulse - is off the charts. I checked the same spot on Pebbles and it is lubdub, lubdub...lubdub, lubdub on Pebbles. For Angel, it is dumdumdumdumdumdumdum. (I think anyone reading this is shouting "rush her to the hospital"). I've done some quick reading and dogs do not get herat attacks. Her blood pressure needs to be brought down - IF IF IF this is the problem. The shaking happened in the fall when she was on 75 mg of trilo and 1omg of enalapril for HBP. When things got whacky in Nov we took her off everything. It has to be related to HBP - I emailed my vet but he just got back from vaca and is probably asleep altho he worked today. I am giving her 10mg of enalapril now. Cross your paws and say a prayer for us!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM

Gosh, do you have a 24-hr. facility you can call? Have you counted the beats?

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

MJ
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Interim CC

Hi Joyce. I agree - I think the vet is the best contact right now. I will say prayers for you and Angel. Hang tough. Hugs, Kim