Meet Toby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Toby

Meet our newest addition, Toby. He is a 10 week old lab/GSD mix. We've had him for two weeks tonight. He's just come from his first vet visit, weighing in at 8.8 pounds and has been given a clean bill of health.

John & I had talked about getting Rebecca a puppy for Christmas but could not figure out how to logistically let her pick out the pup and then wait till Christmas morning to give it to her. The more we talked, the more excited we got. So we started looking and found Toby's litter. There were three females and two males. We really thought we'd come home with a female (and had only picked out girl names) but when we went to look, Toby sat really pretty next to Rebecca and gave her lots of kisses. On the way home she named him Toby. It seemed to fit.

Kinser went with us and did great inside the house with the pups. The shock came when he realized that one of the pups was in the vehicle with us on the way home. I swear if he could have spoken we would have heard, "oh crap!" Kinser had his 12.5 senior wellness visit tonight too and his blood work came back fine. He's down from 83 pounds in the spring to 77 pounds today. We've been doing nightly walks/runs (ok, more of a trot pace). Seems to be doing us both some good.

Toby has brought a lot of smiles and laughter back to our world. We've missed the energy of a young pup and he is fitting that bill just right. When we brought him home, Toby was so tiny that Bubby Girl, our 8-ish pound cat, looked huge next to him. He has now caught up to her. She is none too thrilled about his presence either, but after five days did finally come out of the bedroom.

Toby's comfort and confidence is growing daily and he now drops the front paws, butt goes up in the air and he barks at Kinser to play. Kinser probably only has another week or so before Toby begins to chase after him. He's done pretty good with Bubby cat - she just hisses and swats when he invades her comfort zone. Tonight Toby discovered the cat door and that inside the secret room there was a bowl full of cat food. It's going to be awhile before he is too big to fit through that door, so it should get interesting for a few weeks now !

When he is awake, Toby is chewing constantly. That's new for us. He's also a little slower on the potty training than we remember with Kinser or Decker but it all goes with the territory. He pretty much squats when the mood strikes, like every 15 minutes or so. He is being crate trained during the day and at night, but evenings and weekends we like to try to give him some exercise. He's decided he is a fair weather outdoor pottier. He was like one of those kids toys that you roll back and release and the toy moves forward. We'd take him outside, set him down and he'd run straight to the door. He did not sniff, he did not stop, he did not potty. So we'd pick him up, carry him back out into the yard, set him down and he'd run straight to the door. We now have a harness and a leash for him so it's helped to keep him outdoors a bit longer to take care of business in the rain and cold. When the weather is dry and not too cold, he is just fine going outdoors.

The night we brought him home I had to run out to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things we'd forgotten earlier in the day. As I was wandering around my eyes filled with tears and I had a wave of unexpected emotion wash over me. It was not sadness over Toby, as I was very happy to have him join our family, rather it was the sadness over what his presence represented. It was only in Decker's loss that we gained Toby. Decker will always be in my heart and I still miss him greatly but do look forward to the new chapter in our lives!

All in all, we are having a blast. It's been great to hear laughter, yelling, and seeing lots of smiles again. Have missed that chaos! It's bee a lot of fun watching Toby's little personality develop and to watch and wonder what type of dog he will become.

Here is one of my favorite Toby pics:

And here is a link to his photo page:
    https://inmemoryofdecker.shutterfly.com/pictures/345
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Re: Meet Toby

oh my what a cutie

the chaos can make you feel alive

congrats on the new pup
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Aww, he's a cutie! Congrats on the new addition!
      Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

oh my word he is adorable! Hugs to you and your memories of Decker. It seems like 12 weeks was the magic point where Jenny figured out the whole potty training thing too.

I love puppy stance! give Kinser and the kitty a head scratch from me too!
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Toby is so adorable I think I'm going to cry. I'm so glad you were able to get another pup. Might be good for Kinser, too, though Kinser might not realize that right away :-)

Lots of love and hugs, and sweet memories of Decker. <3
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

Aughh... he is so cute it hurts!! Congratulations to all!

I wasn't sure how I felt about adopting another dog so soon after Chris passed away - I did not expect to want to.

But what better way to honor a cherished canine friend than giving another one a wonderful home.

(And it was that or continue to stalk strangers with dogs in tow by day and stalk PetFinders at night while heaving huge lonely sighs...)

Very happy for all of you,

Natalie

Comment

What a cutie!
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Oh my goodness, what a cutie Congratulations on your new addition!
                Danielle and Ollie - 10.5 yo Silky Terrier May 17, 2003 - February 15, 2014. diagnosed Dec 28, 2012. See you on the other side Baby Bear.

Comment

Oh he is so cute!! He looks like Vinny did when he was a pup! Good luck with training and make sure you give Kinser and kitty some lovin from us!
                  Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

He is a cute little stinker. I do not do puppies or kitties. I rescue older but I will live vicariously through you. Please continue to keep us updated on what this little doll baby is up to.

Comment

Look at the feet on him!!!

Sure there's not a bit of
                      Clydesdale in the mix???

Great pictures ... just looked at em all.
                      Last edited by farrwf; 10-30-2013, 11:03 AM.
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post

Here is one of my favorite Toby pics:

And here is a link to his photo page:
                        https://inmemoryofdecker.shutterfly.com/pictures/345
                        omg!! such a cutie..congrats and good luck with him..you will always miss decker but as you say new chapter...
                        sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

Thanks all! Funny how the timing of getting another pet after a loss is so individualistic just as the age of the pet is too. We'd looked at rescue dogs more in the 3-5 age range. But the human kid really wanted a puppy and she's at the perfect age for that responsibility.

She's always wanted a dog who would sleep in her room but she had bad allergies as a baby and we kept her door closed to keep the animals out. They allergies have lessened over the years but the current animals never developed the bond of sleeping with her. So it's been a real treat to drop Toby on her bed every morning and he wakes her up with lots of kisses before he starts chewing on her stuffed animals and blankets. She loves it though - gets right out of bed and will play with him while I complete my morning routine. She's working on teaching him how to sit and fetch. We've never had a dog that would fetch so it will be pretty cool if Toby does learn. Will start to look for some obedience classes in the Spring and hoping the two of them can go together to keep that bond close.
                          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

my daughter was the same age when i got jesse she was a Christmas puppy

i let her do the training with jesse it was allot of fun watching them together

now she has her own pup at college and they go everywhere together

your daughter will always want a dog with her for the rest of her life and know she will always have a friend

ps my daughter did let her new pup sleep with her for awhile but now is crate training i guess its a sleep and potty thing . i thought that was funny
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

LOVE that!!!
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                              X