Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things the new vet tells you about Diabetic pets......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things the new vet tells you about Diabetic pets......

Eileen....thanks for your reply. I really don't think Riley would do well going so long (12 hours) between breakfast and dinner. Would it be okay to feed him three times a day when he's only getting insulin injections twice a day? For instance, feed him at 8am (followed by insulin injection); feed him at 2pm (no insulin injection); feed him at 8pm (followed by insulin injection)?

~Rosey

Comment

Peggy...this thread is such a GREAT idea, and your posts are absolutely hysterical! I almost peed my pants..."moving to California"....LOL! So, here are two true-life experiences I had in dealing with Ozzi's diabetes:

ONE
      Kevin: What is the treatment goal for his BG?
      Vet: We like to get them to about 300.
      Kevin: 300? Shouldn't we be shooting for tighter control than that?
      Vet: No, 300 is fine, dogs can tolerate higher blood sugars much better than people can.

TWO
      Kevin: How often should we bring Ozzi in for blood sugar testing?
      Vet: Every month initially, and then less frequently unless there is a problem.
      Kevin: A problem? How will we know when to adjust his insulin up or down?
      Vet: Well, dogs are treated by symptoms, not numbers, so the BG is not as important as the onset of symptoms...drinking a lot, urinating a lot, etc. And if he acts drunk or he's in a coma, rub Karo syrup on his gums and bring him right in.
      Kevin: Oh, so we don't have to worry too much about the numbers?
      Vet: Absolutely not. On your way out, set up an appointment for a blood glucose curve.

Kevin
      Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Hi Kevin,

you must have used my first vet. he gave me the same speech.
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Ha ha Peggy! You know this really was a GREAT idea for a thread, and I'll tell you why. It gave me an opportunity to reflect on how far I have come with dealing with Ozzi's diabetes in a relatively short time because of this forum. When I got some of the answers from my vet (whom I otherwise adore by the way) I just felt in my heart that it didn't make sense. So I kept pressing her about things like blood sugars, diet, glucose control, etc. and when I didn't get answers that made sense, I was lucky enough to stumble onto this forum. I think it also illustrates the inadequacies of diabetes teaching in vet schools, and that is sad, but a reality for some of us. I feel that the educational component for pets is missing, unlike that for humans. Pondering the (mis)information that I originally received from the vet was helpful to me in realizing the importance of this forum. So, thanks for the laughs and for the thread!!
          Kevin
          Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Look out, Natalie! They're OUT TO GET YOU!

And with good reason! I LOVE the idea of you doing seminars for veterinarians on canine diabetes!

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:47:15 (PST)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

Would u recommend Humulin N? 4 YEAR OLD Basset is on it now, 11 days going and i'm not happy with what i'm reading about Vetsulin......His levels are all over the place...I feel like i'm doins soemthing wrong....

Comment

My 4 yr. old Basset Hound Tuckers was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes on the 17th of this month, so it's been 11 days now....I came across a homemade recipe for diabetic dogs that consists white rice, chicken (no skin), ground turkey and peas...I recently switched to brown rice due to some comments that white rice is not good....I feel alot of guilt you see, because i fed Tucker whatever he would eat and now my baby is dealing with this and all i want is for him to be healthy...Am i making a mistake with this recipe???? My Vet said to continue feeding him his old canned alpo dog food which i am not comfortable with....I want to make things right and not revert to old feeding habits...Tucker ate whenever b4 diagnosis, so now i'm dealing with trying to get him to eat at certain times which is difficult on top of food change...Anyone have any suggestions???? As of now Tucker is on 11 units of Vetsulin twice a day and i'm finding that 2 hours b4 his next injection he is majorly high!!! On a good day he's anywhere from 298-350 and mostly has been skyrocketing from 350-488....The more i read on Vetsulin the more i want him off of it...

Comment

Hi. we've all felt guilty that our dogs have diabetes. they don't know really what the cause is, but regardless, we're here now so we have to deal with it and you can do it. I did not want to move from vetsulin, not wanting to go through regulating my dog again, but when supplies depleted, i switched to humulin N and I'm thrilled. Forbin is very steady in his readings now! and I don't worry as much about him going high then low. As far as the food, i would get the insulin regulated first, then you can change food if you'd like. Many on the board feed home made recipes and yes they work nicely. You need to make sure the dog is getting enough minerals and vitamins. many will help you with this if you chose to go down this path. there are several good commercial dog foods that work too though. I feed my dog Blue Buffalo and so do others. It works very nicely for diabetic dogs and has no bi products, gluten and you can buy a grain free type if you'd like. Others use EVO and Wellness. They are all organic. Insulin first though. I'd ask your vet to switch you. There is lots of advise on how to move from vetsulin to nph
                  Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                  X