Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on treating hot spots?

Hi all,

Ladybug started with a hot spot late yesterday and it grew a little overnight. What I've done so far today is trim her fur as close to the skin as possible, washed with mild Ivory soap and warm water, dried the area, wiped with witch hazel then put Bitter Apple around the area where she is chewing. It already looks a lot better. Any other tidbits to offer? I really don't want to give her Benadryl.

I know my lab, Shadow, would get a hot spot every summer. All the vet would do was to shave her fur and give me an oatmeal spray to use 3x a day.

Linda/Ladybug

Re: Any tips on treating hot spots?

Hi Linda,

I use Bactine spray on my dogs when they get hot spots. It has a soothing effect and stops the itch.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I used to trim the hair and clean it as you did then put a "puff" of Gold Bond Medicated Body powder (the zinc in the powder helps) to dry it out.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Patty and Eileen,

Wonderful tips and what luck! I have both the Bactine and Gold Bond powder!

I've been wiping with the witch hazel about every hour and it still continues to look better. I'll spray the Bactine in about an hour and use the Gold Bond an hour later.

Again, thanks!

Linda

Comment

Just make sure the hair is trimmed far enough away so that it stays dry
          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Thanks Peggy!

After I trimmed the exact area, I went back and trimmed about another 1/2" around the area. I think we're doing fine now. When I catch her starting to chew I just tell her to "leave it alone" and she stops immediately.

Comment

After shaving as close as you can, I have always had good results by scrubbing with hibitaine which is a anti-bacterial soap, any vet has it. If you can scrub the area with a fingernail brush about 3 times per day, it will clear up in about 2 days. Pugs are pretty prone to these, and I learned the hard way what worked best.

Comment

Thanks Joan,

It's pretty well cleared up...I think I caught it in time before it got too large. I have received a lot of tips to keep in mind next time this happens!

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                X