Diabetic pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic pup

Hi everyone. I've been around since the beginning of this board but you don't know me because I don't post. I just lost my third diabetic dog a couple weeks ago. I've dealt with diabetics for over 13 years and it seems very strange not to have that schedule now.

Why I am posting is that I just learned of a pup that is in danger of being put to sleep due to diabetes and no one being able to regulate him. He was found as a baby, a Min Pin, and is now a year and a half and losing his sight. He's been in rescue, the foster mom was doing pretty good with him but adopters can't deal with him and his peeing lakes and he's been returned again. Now a vet is suggesting they let him go. In his short life they have tried 4 insulins, a multitude of foods....I know we would see young dogs that would be hard to regulate or certain breeds, due to activity level (and we've all had vets that didn't know what to do) and this poor baby is going to lose his life because of ignorance. They are being told there are no other insulins to try.....bs. (Natalie, you found out the hard way that you might be getting up around the clock with R.) Anyway, this dog is in Minnesota and from the messages on Facebook I fear he will be let go next week if someone doesn't take him. I so want to say I will take him but since committing to ill dogs my life has taken a different route and I do cat rescue now and have 25 cats and still have 6 dogs to care for. I am just sick for this little one. Anyone know of a rescue committed to diabetic rescue or anyone experienced enough that would take him on? I know we could get a transport to get him almost anywhere in the country. ????
    Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
    Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Re: Diabetic pup

Now I have to rant! The woman in rescue is a vet tech and god knows that they know it all! She says this dog can't be helped, they have tried it all even though she won't answer my questions about which insulins have been tried (she said 4 have been tried) and I know all diets can't have been tried. He has IBD now (probably not but termed this and a side effect from not being regulated for so long, poor dog). She won't even tell me if he has been on a consistent diet or has been fed snacks etc. This dog is going to be put down even though someone is willing to take him because vet says there is nothing more to be tried and this vet tech in rescue thinks all has been done. OMG!!! I am livid!

Comment

where is he? I'm in Northern Minnesota, Detroit Lakes

edited to add: I know of a few people in my area involved with Rescue and I can check on a rescue near St Cloud I think that rescued some dogs from NC.

I don't dare foster because I'm not home much but if I can do anything, I can try.
      Last edited by Judi; 05-31-2014, 04:18 PM.
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

and I'm really sorry about the loss of your dog
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

its wonderful for the support you give to this pup to try to find a home

i believe a 100 percent any diabetic dog has the ability to have adequate regulation even with other challenges. it may just be exploring other possibilities. jesse is one of them who worked outside the box to find her regulation and this pup could also find that regulation .

hope you find someone up to the challenge and its maybe not as difficult to figure out
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hey Denise... is this on your FB page? Or you can you email with more specific information? k9diabetes@gmail.com

I'll check your FB page.

Natalie

Comment

I will take this pup if I can get hold of the right people in time to get him that chance. I hate it when things happen on weekends and you can't reach people! This is in Minneapolis. Thanks Nat for adding your note. I'll bet she was telling people that "you won't believe it! this woman now has others messaging me!" I hope I can contact the rescue director by phone today. I may need a direct line to you if I get my hands on him! LOL

I didn't want to start this again but I can't turn my back. I took Molly on willing and the other 2 I was just lucky to get them. My head says I am nuts but a dog dying? Absolutely not!

Thanks all! May soon be a regular here!

Comment

If anyone would like to email the rescue involved in this case with a plea to allow Ricky another try at diabetes regulation, their email is
                adopt@midwestanimalrescue.org Maybe hearing from others with diabetic dogs might help.

The directors name is Amy Swenson. I think I gave myself an ulcer this weekend and not hearing anything back in reply to email and phone call is driving me nuts.

Comment

Email sent. I keep asking the core question - how could it possibly be better to kill him than to give him a chance?!?!?!?!?

He's not even a juvenile anymore. He's about 18 months old.

Natalie

Comment

I can't see anyone being more eloquent than you two. Don't want them to feel besieged. Please keep us updated.

Comment

I found out there is a vet clinic attached to this rescue so this vet tech AND the vets are probably considered gods AND the last word on everything. I heard nothing and I am assuming these people in rescue themselves have heard about animals in need and themselves gone off the deep end to get something going to save them and don't rest until they do but don't seem to realize that I am in that boat and just sick waiting to hear about this dog. How cruel. One post I saw said they'd had plenty of kooks respond on this case, more than usual. Nice if that's how they write off the people really willing to help and to justify killing him. What bothers me also is that if he dies then no one in that circle learned a thing about diabetes either and it will happen again. We all know that to many dogs are already euthed now just because they are dx'ed with diabetes. Thanks again Natalie. Will report if I hear anything but I am doubting I will.

Comment

Here's some better contact info. Apparently this Veterinarian, Karen Green, is involved with the rescue operation. Good luck helping Ricky.

http://990finder.foundationcenter.or...y=&action=Find

Midwest Animal Rescue & Services
                        P.O. Box 290073
                        Minneapolis, MN 55429

4112 83rd Ave N
                        Brooklyn Park, MN 55443

(763) 503-4990

(1) Susan Bates CEO
                        (2) Amy Swenson Director of Operations
                        (3) Richard L Paulson CFO
                        (4) Erick Bates Volunteer Coordinator/Director
                        (5) Sue J Shampine Director
                        (6) Altin R Paulson Director

Identification of Related Organizations Taxable as a Partnership (Complete if the organization answered "Yes" to Form

Green Veterinary Services

Dr. Karen Green, veterinarian and business owner, has been practicing since 2002 after graduating from the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine.

http://www.greenvsllc.com/About-Us.html
                        4112 83rd Avenue N
                        Brooklyn Park , MN 55443
                        763-463-9391

(1) GVS 45-1028967 Veterinary Clinic MN

(2) MAMS 90-0714045 Animal Mgmt Services
                        Last edited by farrwf; 06-05-2014, 10:27 AM.
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Looks like he's still there, ... and it appears the Rescue Group is trying to place him in a forever home.!

http://www.midwestanimalrescue.org/a...imalID=5577790

Ricky's Web Page

My Rescue Login to Remember your
                          Favorite Animals and Breeds!

Name: Ricky
                          Rescue ID: 7652-M-A-R
                          Species: Dog
                          Breed: Xoloitzcuintle/Mexican Hairless / Miniature Pinscher (short coat)
                          Learn more about the Miniature Pinscher.
                          Sex: Male (neutered)
                          Current Size: 10 Pounds
                          General Potential Size: Small
                          Current Age: 1 Year 5 Months (best estimate)
                          Activity Level: Moderately Active
                          Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor Only
                          Good with Dogs: Yes
                          Good with Cats: Yes
                          Good with Kids: Yes
                          Special Needs: diabetic
                          Description:
                          Ricky is a young Xolo/Min Pin mix who is blue. He was found in a ditch with his sister as both were dumped. He was in rough shape when he came into rescue but he is doing wonderful now. Ricky loves everyone he meets and gets along with both cats and dogs, currently he is in an emergency foster with 2 pit bulls and 2 cats. He weighs about 10 lbs. He is diabetic, but that doesn't stop him. He will need to have insulin daily to maintain his blood sugar and will need his blood sugar tested. We are willing to help you learn how to care for him if you are willing to give him, his forever home. Please help Ricky get to his forever family.

Other Pictures of Ricky (click to see larger version):

Last edited by farrwf; 06-05-2014, 12:34 PM.
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Just noticed, ... Ricky's status is ADOPTED!

Comment

yay! what a relief!!

Comment

Working...
                              X