Diet / Insulin Dosage / Glucose Monitoring / Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet / Insulin Dosage / Glucose Monitoring / Success

Chilly is a 9 year old 85 pound neutered male Labrador Retriever. He was diagnosed with diabetes at 8 1/2. It took 4 months of trial & error with diet / insulin variation to achieve a consistent blood glucose curve between 80 and 200, wherein he is maintaining his weight and has similar activity level as his non-diabetic sibling from the same litter. His CBC panel and fructosamine tests are now ideal.

Now he runs around, jumps on walls, climbs up hills and behaves like he did when he was a puppy.

Home-made meal twice a day -
    1/3 of a baked chicken breast; and
    1/3 cup of pan fried ground turkey; and
    1/3 cup of steamed broccoli; and
    1/2 cup of beans (black or kidney); and
    1/3 cup of cottage cheese.

Snack in between meals based on blood glucose reading -
    1/4 - 1/2 apple; or
    1/4 - 1/2 cup of a mix of beans and chicken.

Novolin-N (from Walmart - keep refrigerated, do not warm prior to injection)
    morning - 12 units
    evening - 10.5 units

I use the Alpha Trak 2 Glucometer and the Alpha Trak 2 Blood Glucose strips. We test Chilly 4 times a day (my father in law lives with me and tests Chilly). I purchased the Glucometer and strips on Amazon.com without a prescription.

When there are delivery people and/or maintenance people that come to the house, Chilly gets upset and his blood glucose reading increases.

Chilly lives his sibling, also a neutered male yellow labrador retriever, and a 10 year old spayed female pit bull. They all eat the same diet and are about the same weight.

Figuring out an appropriate treatment plan was very challenging, but well worth the effort.

Re: Diet / Insulin Dosage / Glucose Monitoring / Success

Originally posted by Chilly View Post
    Chilly is a 9 year old 85 pound neutered male Labrador Retriever. He was diagnosed with diabetes at 8 1/2. It took 4 months of trial & error with diet / insulin variation to achieve a consistent blood glucose curve between 80 and 200, wherein he is maintaining his weight and has similar activity level as his non-diabetic sibling from the same litter. His CBC panel and fructosamine tests are now ideal.

Now he runs around, jumps on walls, climbs up hills and behaves like he did when he was a puppy.

Home-made meal twice a day -
    1/3 of a baked chicken breast; and
    1/3 cup of pan fried ground turkey; and
    1/3 cup of steamed broccoli; and
    1/2 cup of beans (black or kidney); and
    1/3 cup of cottage cheese.

Snack in between meals based on blood glucose reading -
    1/4 - 1/2 apple; or
    1/4 - 1/2 cup of a mix of beans and chicken.

Novolin-N (from Walmart - keep refrigerated, do not warm prior to injection)
    morning - 12 units
    evening - 10.5 units

I use the Alpha Trak 2 Glucometer and the Alpha Trak 2 Blood Glucose strips. We test Chilly 4 times a day (my father in law lives with me and tests Chilly). I purchased the Glucometer and strips on Amazon.com without a prescription.

When there are delivery people and/or maintenance people that come to the house, Chilly gets upset and his blood glucose reading increases.

Chilly lives his sibling, also a neutered male yellow labrador retriever, and a 10 year old spayed female pit bull. They all eat the same diet and are about the same weight.

Figuring out an appropriate treatment plan was very challenging, but well worth the effort.
    Welcome to you and Chilly. I copied your post into a new thread for Chilly so you will have your very own place to discuss Chilly. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5687

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
    X