Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Robert

I'll keep it short. You're pretty darn amazing. My problems are petty annoyances next to what you've been through.

I know the "sticky note" routine, too.

snow.
    I'm also short.

Comment

Glad you are feeling better, thats a good idea, I should buy some Gatorade for myself for when I am working in the yard.

dolly
      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Good to hear from you Robert. What an ordeal; the worse. Yes I always have pedialyte in the house. It's great stuff. Hope you are on the mend now and glad to hear the pups are well.
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Wow...you've been through a lot Robert. Glad to have you back.
          Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Robert,
            So glad you are on the mend and happy that Mik and Mak are well.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Many thanks to everyone!

One of my wife's most treasured abilities was finding something good in every situation, no matter how bad it seemed at the time

I have tried this technique but usually fail.

However, in this case, by day 4, I still could not stand straight or walk without touching a wall for support. Through a valued recommendation, I loaded myself with enough pain pills to numb a horse, and drove to a chiropractor. Within one minute, she located a decades old back injury to a disk [that no doctor had ever spotted] After an hour of torture [therapy] she sent me to a CMT, which I guess is some sore of certified masseuse tech, and he found that exact same damage.

So, for the past four days, I have alternated between the two, one working on spine and disks, the other on muscles and tendons.

I can honesty say my back has not felt this good in decades. No pain pills for the first time in 30 years.

So, the horrible food poisoning lead to my back repair.

As Karen always said. "Just look--you will always find some good in bad situations"
              Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Sorry to have drifted so far OT.

I am again worried about Mik's calorie intake. He seems to have decided what he prefers to eat, and if it's not on the menu, he gives me a disgssted look and walks away.

I'm maintained his 2.5 IU 2x/ day, 5:30 am and PM. He does get an insulin appetite burst, but will only eat what he wants. I want him to have no less than 300 calories a day, and prefer 400 to gain back some wt.

But at times, Im lucky to get 100 calories into him.

I don't want to lower his vetsulin. I will try for a ver test this week if possilble.
                Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Bob,

I would believe that if you didn't change the 2.5 IU twice a day and Mik was in one of his "ultra-picky" phases where he ate only 100 calories for that day, you would have seen signs of a low if there was too much insulin and not enough food. So that would mean you wouldn't have to lower Mik's insulin as you're seeing him do well without any lows or hypos against those 100 calories per day.

All of us would like to see Mik eating more; I think we all know by now that he's only going to eat what he likes, whether it's what we want him to eat or not. I think you can probably get the 400 calories per day into Mik provided it's in foods he likes and will eat.

What's now on Mik's menu?

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by We Hope View Post
                    Bob,

What's now on Mik's menu?

Kathy
                    Heh, it varies like phases of the moon. Some days he will eat cheerios with blue buffalo bits, some times not, some times no Cheerios. About the only thing that is consistent is chicken & rice baby food, but that's one 70 calorie jar a day. Not a bit more.

He will nibbled at canned dog food, but not much. I've tried various products--sniff and walk.

more

but he seems to function well, sleep okay, body functiions normal
                    Last edited by robertpri; 06-17-2009, 06:44 PM. Reason: more

Comment

Originally posted by robertpri View Post
                      Heh, it varies like phases of the moon.
                      I read this and just thought there is a dog food thats called something about a moon. .

I was wondering if he likes Chicken & Rice babyfood could you add a little more rice to that?

Dolly
                      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Heh, i have enough combinations of food to open a deli..will try it

Comment

Originally posted by robertpri View Post
                          Heh, i have enough combinations of food to open a deli..will try it
                          LOL, I can just see it.

Comment

Good news!

Mik's appetite sucks but he must be eating something! Tested today at 11 lbs 4 oz, which is two full pounds higher than his first diabetes diagnosis.

Better yet, BG was 171 after 6 hours. Vet said, 'don't change anything!"

Comment

Bob,

When the diabetes has had the upper hand for a while, it's sometimes hard for the insulin to do a totally good job. Because of the glucose, the tissues resist the insulin and there are times when it's something like pounding away at a large stone with a hammer. If you keep it up and are "determined" enough, you will get the stone to break.

What you did was to keep up the insulin and now it looks like it's doing Mik 100% of the good it's meant to. With the right amount of insulin, the body's able to use the glucose from the food for energy; when there's not enough insulin for it to "run" as it's meant to, it starts fueling itself on things like body fat and even muscle. This is how the weight can be lost.

But when you get enough insulin to make the body stop using something else instead of glucose to "power" itself, it gets back to the way it's supposed to work--using the glucose for its energy source. This is when those who have lost weight because of diabetes start re-gaining it.

It sounds like Mik has turned that corner and done a VERY fine job of it to add two pounds! Just looked back at your first post here and that was March 22--just about 3 months ago.

You're also seeing the better bg's from Mik because the insulin's working 100% for him now.

Mr. Mik is finally falling into line and you should be VERY proud of yourself as your ability to deal with all of the "curve balls" Mik was throwing at times has made this happen!

Kathy

Comment

Thats great ! all is working out and a 2lb gain, you did a great job

Comment

Working...
                                X