Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up date on Holly

Hi i am new here and to dog diabetic and need help ASAP,
    Holly will not sit still for here injection i have tried everything( food sit holding her on the table on the floor when she is feeding just after )can any one help me plz

Re: Diabetic Dog ASAP Help i have tried everything

Hi Sandra and welcome to you!
    What kind of dog do you have? MinPins have been notorious around here for challenging injections.

There is a thread in the answers section on tips that have worked for some http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Would love to hear more about Holly.
    Take care,
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Some dogs really are feisty and sensitive little guys, aren't they? I think the first thing you need to do is relax. easy for me to say, right? Well, just remember that your stress is going to feed your dog's stress and you need to keep your dog from associating shots with fear, aggravation, and stress.

I would walk away and wait until the next feeding if you can. Take a look through the threads about minpins and see if there are any methods that will work for you. Food seems to be the best way to keep them distracted, but there seems to be a precises way to do it.

Let us know more about your dog. There are a lot of folks here who have gone through what you're going through. We all love to help.
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

My Jenny got ornery about her shot for awhile. I had to muzzle her. It sounds way worse than it actually was. She had to learn that I was boss and she had it on for less than 30 seconds.

I bribe her with chicken jerky. She only gets chicken jerky after her shot. She loves her jerky more than she hates her shot.

I also put her up on the bathroom counter. That is where she has to behave.

I tell her how wonderful she is even when she was being Cujo.

She has gotten a lot better.

What size needles are you using? Smaller needles can make it less painful and traumatic

Shirley doesn't post here anymore but here is a link to her thread about her problem child Harley. Read it from the beginning, she didn't think she'd ever be able to give him his shots

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthre...ht=harley+shot

hang in there. Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Aw thank you ladys for your help, i am passed my self and cant stop crying i no it will not help her so i have to get my self sorted some how,

Holly is a cocker spanial 8 on 25/12/2012 and a right little baby love her to bits like every dog lover and i want to do the best for her i am on my own must of the time so its a lot harder we have only been doing it for just over 2 weeks,

we also have another cocker spanial misty her sister who is fine she also gets up set when i am trying to sort Holly out so now put her up stair so that bits sorted now,

will keep on going hopefully things will sort out before i end up having a break down LOL then what would happen,

was just woundering about any tips thanks lady now i done feel so alone.

Sandra

Comment

Wanted to offer a hello and welcome. Don't have any specific advice but can say that I have a co-worker with an 11 year old cocker spaniel who has two torn ACL's and from what I understand he is quite the challenge to medicate.

There are others on the board that will be able to offer lots of great tips on injecting a difficult dog.

Wishing you the best in this new journey of yours! Holli
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

hmmm i wonder if you can use the other dog for fake injectins and give praises and maybe treats afterwards of coarse he wont feel anything it just make believe maybe this may make holly a bit jealous and say wheres mine and want to be included

if something like that does work you may have to do that for awhile i think dogs as a pair want the same attention and one can help another at times

just a thought
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

[QUOTE=jesse girl;85743]hmmm i wonder if you can use the other dog for fake injectins and give praises and maybe treats afterwards of coarse he wont feel anything it just make believe maybe this may make holly a bit jealous and say wheres mine and want to be included

if something like that does work you may have to do that for awhile i think dogs as a pair want the same attention and one can help another at times

just a thought[/QUOTE

That is good thinking will try that in morning keep fingers cross for me

Thank you will let you no,

Comment

Hi Sandra

I can't help you, I have only been at this a couple of weeks myself. You will get lots of help from the members here, you won't feel as though you have to cope all on your own. They have been a godsend to me, I don't know what I would have done without them.

Hang in there, you will be OK

Hugs
                  Ann and Yuli - Yuli is 11 yrs and was dx Aug 2012. He lives with 1 other Tibetan Terrier aged 14. Yuli is 39 lb and is on 25 iu Caninsulin x 2. Got his sight back June 19 2014.

Comment

How are you acting when you give her the shot..are you nervous? Upset? Do you make a big fuss? I was upset when I first found out Mojo was diabetic. But I had to just accept it and move on and add his routine to just a new part of life.

When I started out I was nervous and Mojo did note this. But then I started to make the needle when he was eating. This also allows the insulin to start to warm up a bit. Not as shocking when they get it. I made no fuss. When it was needle time I just grabbed him firmly and held him against my leg (he is a big dog) and grabbed...and note I am not grabbing hard or doing it rough...just lack of a better word. I grabb his fur to give him the needle and shot away. Release and treat. Quick and fast.. No time for him or me to think...now it's different I say needle time or time to poke a puppy! He comes. How new are you? Are you still in the process of getting the insulin amount balanced? When we started it was set too high....Mojo was not super cooperative...becuase it made him feel undersugared. As the amount needed went down he got better.

Just a thought. But hang in there it will get better. There is always a way. Just keep at it and don't get desperate.
                    Mojo is a 10 year old white Shepard. Diagnosed in 2010.
                    Using Caninsulin 12 units and 175 grams Royal Canine Diabetic twice a day. Blind for three years but he is doing great!

Comment

Welcome Sandra. Sorry for the stress. I have an angel for shots and testing so I can't offer any help there.
                      In the beginning it all seems so overwhelming, but as the emotions clear and the lifestyle change evolves you will feel stronger.
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Sandy,

A belated welcome....

I know that Patty provided a link, but the three things that helped us out in the beginning was.

Shorter, and thinner needles 31Gauge (larger the number, the thinner)
                        Warming the insulin. Cold insulin hurts
                        Providing a 'special' treat. Like chicken... and a lot of praise afterwards. Abby gets a lot of "Good Girl" praise.

I think Bill (Otis's Dad) will inject while he is eating... so he doesn't notice.

Hopefully you find that secret soon.

Barb
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi Sandy

Franklin used to put up more fight than you'd think possible from a then 7kg pooch. We've tried the bathroom sink, on top of the freezer, outside on a patio chair (he didn't notice the shot while he was barking at something across the road). I've put collars on my thighs and sat on the floor with him attached to me, a halti collar and smearing some cream cheese on my shin and while he's licking it, jab!
                          I've put rescue remedy in his water bowls, sprayed dap, and he's wearing a dap collar. We now have a sample plate of a couple bits of chicken or ham, with a sprinkle of mozzarella. I put on his leash and stand on it so he can't back away.
                          It's working for us. Hope it helps you. Oh, and don't forget to breathe!

Jane and Franklin
                          Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Hi sandy,I'm new to the forum but saw ur post.I found that when I did all Sissy's tests and shots in one place followed with treat,she started doing much better with it.I use the kitchen table.then she knew everywhere else she was safe.!!!! Hope this helps
                            Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

I went thru a lot of trying times with Chase until the folks at this site advised me just to relax and don't give bad vibes as Chase was picking up on them. I also had tough time pricking his inside lip and getting the blood on the strip had to use my wife to help. That helped a little but we still went thru test strips but not Chase relaxed after I told him several times to help me and he just relaxes now even lays his head on the foot stool for me even if I have to prick him twice he stays cool and calm. It's just zip - zip and its over. Thank you at k9diabetes.com for encouragement and assistance.

Comment

Working...
                              X