walmart needs a prescription for box of syringes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walmart needs a prescription for box of syringes

just went to walmart i am in southern California and went to pick up insulin and a box of syringes

they brought back my insulin and 3 bags of syringes and said you would need a prescription to get a whole box

they said people were abusing the policy but said you can come back every day and get 3 bags if you wanted without a prerscription

the problem is you will pay more for the syringes per bag i think she said a $1.87 per bag so that would come out to $ 18.70 for a 100

well as we know 3 bags will not cover a month of insulin injections if using two or more syringes a day

the question is anybody getting a prescription for syringes and how are you doing it as far as refills could a prescription be wrote for a years worth of syringes or in most situations one refill then need new prescription

i thought that was odd change any ideas is appreciated
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Re: wallmart needs a prescription for box of syringes

I have not run into this problem - yet. I get my syringes from Walgreens, because I cannot convince Walmart that 1/2 unit syringes exist.

I would go to your vet and ask for the prescriptions - you could do a prescription for 1 box with 11 refills or you could ask the doctor to write out 12 monthly prescriptions. Or some version of this based on how many you use in a month (60 or 62).
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

YEP, I can buy one bag without otherwise I need a prescription. My vet calls it in for a year. Last time they screwed up and instead of putting 12 refills they put one. I ordered some syringes online because I didn't want to deal with it right now. But I like the Walmart syringes better
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Yes,my vet faxed a rx,it is good for a year.I get the relion 3/10 cc,31 gauge,short and they have 1/2 units on them. I am in so California.
        Get mine at Walmart, Cebe.
        Last edited by stylynjm; 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM.
        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

In NY State anyone over age 18 can get up to 10 syringes w/out a script. Anything else requires a prescription. Believe There is a website out there that has a list of what the state laws are but I can't seem to find it right now.
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Last summer Walmart did that to me as well. They also gave me a paper saying it was some kind if federal law. Once in a blue moon I run into a clerk who will sell me a box of them. I always ask

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
              In NY State anyone over age 18 can get up to 10 syringes w/out a script. Anything else requires a prescription. Believe There is a website out there that has a list of what the state laws are but I can't seem to find it right now.
              this is the one I found: http://members.tripod.com/diabetics_...InsulinRx.html

maybe California has changed? or this list may be old
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

thanks sandy holli judi cebe and sissys mom i guess we can always expect change to our routine i have 2 boxes left so time to think what i want to do

my vet is not involved in jesses diabetes and i kind of like it that way not saying thats a good thing for everyone but is for me and jesse well its either go to the vet get a script not sure if they will do by phone without seeing jesse buy 3 bags at one time and maybe they will give a box without a script or go some place else oh i so like choice

i do like there syringes also judi i was using some i believe bd a friend gave me we used them but they were kind of stiff with the plunger did not like very much but we finished them off so have not bought any in a while
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Re: walmart needs a prescription for box of syringes

I bought two boxes of syringes at my local Walmart about two weeks ago without a problem.

No federal law concerning syringes, but State, local government, even individual companies may have restrictions.

Don't know if it makes any difference (makes me feel better) but I always ask for the insulin first, then add the syringes.

Cebe: why not printout the ReliOn web page that shows the 30 unit syringes with 1/2 unit marks? Almost sounds like your Walmart thinks you are looking for syringes that only have 1/2 unit capacity. Those would be tiny syringes.
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I'm in Pennsylvania and last month I did not need a prescription for my syringes at Walmart. Hope that doesn't change!

Jake
                    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

My vet used to write out a script for

"Insulin needle/syringes U-100; 30 unit, 1 box.
                      Refills: 1 year PRN (as needed)"

I liked having a script even if I didn't need it at my Walmart because it's good to have if something happened and we were traveling.

I understand you've been primary manager in Jesse's diabetes management. I was in Ali's too. Doc wasn't involved in Ali's management either but he was fine with writing the script for us.

You might call and tell them the store policy changed and would they be willing to write a script without visit since this is a need that doesn't really change. They might say no, but worth a try.
                      Last edited by Patty; 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                        I bought two boxes of syringes at my local Walmart about two weeks ago without a problem.
                        I'm with Craig ... just bought a box and no problem.
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
                          I get my syringes from Walgreens, because I cannot convince Walmart that 1/2 unit syringes exist.
                          Print this page out and give it to your locals ...

http://www.relion.com/information/fa...delivery.asp#4

"What kinds of markings are on your syringes?
                          Our markings range from ½ unit to 2 unit increments, depending on the volume of the syringe. Here is the breakout:
                          • 1cc - 2 unit increments
                          • 1/2cc - 1 unit increments
                          • 3/10cc - ½ unit increments"
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

yes craig and bill it must be a store or area policy which i guess maybe changed on the first of the year maybe i will call the other 2 walmarts in my area maybe its store sensitive or town sensitive definitely a policy of this store

patty thanks for the info you do understand what i am up against i just dont want the vet involved they do a good job but i dont believe they would understand jesses routine. it is a good idea to get a script just to be on the safe side we will see if they will go ahead with your thoughts i do got some time

Comment

Good luck Jesse girl! I manage Tiggy and the vets not in the loop for her diabetes either. I tried calling them and even though its documented in ger chart as a diabetic, good ol VCA wanted me to bring her in and.... Ready for this.... Charge me $ 520 for a checkup, and a boatload of tests before they would write a simple script for syringes don't think so!!!

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X