Death toll for pets given jerky treats made in China rises to 600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death toll for pets given jerky treats made in China rises to 600

Death toll for pets given jerky treats made in China rises to 600 and more than 3,600 dogs become ill as food agency struggles to pinpoint cause of mystery sickness
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Re: Death toll for pets given jerky treats made in China rises to 600

yikes bill

i would stay away from any food processed over seas at this time i guess there can be problems here also as we have seen but i guess they can locate where the problem is much easier than other places in the world .
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

From what I understand this warning has been out since 2007, why on earth people are still purchasing them is beyond me!

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I agree...

I have bought some treats from pet boutiques or pet stores and have bought them back, unopened, if I did not read on the label that there were made in China (some labels are very sneaking about posting this type of thing).

They have asked why, and I told them, that I would not purchase anything that came from China. Perhaps more pet stores need to be aware...

Barb
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I agree Eileen. I always complain to the folks in our petsmart for selling treats made in China. It streaky as well as some grands make their beef products in USA but chicken in china. You really have to read.
          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Dr. V. posted some information a year or two ago on making your own. She's always fun to watch even if you don't plan to make your own chicken jerky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdgQ6ti6Wo&noredirect=1

Her video on cooking with corn-based cat litter is a classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL2e7...2&noredirect=1

And there are some hysterical animated bits on the challenges of veterinary medicine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEQ1Q...Vo-iMKmC4kNmou

Natalie

Comment

Bought a pack of these a long time ago for Ruger, and when I saw the label marked "Made In China" in the trash they went. Glad I did it too. Can't believe and do not understand why food companies outsource their products there when they've been proven dangerous.

Comment

I didn't hear about this until Oct 2013 in So. Calif., my little Harley got very sick, she has recovered now. I went to Petco where I bought the product and talked with store manager about it she refunded my money but when I told her that they were still selling the product, she said they hadn't received a recall notice to remove it so they were still allowed to sell it. I was very upset about this because they had it on sale and many more dogs would be getting sick or worse.

Comment

I'm so glad Harley recovered! I was sucked in for awhile by the ones that have a big old US flag on the package but they are only DISTRIBUTED in the US, still made in China.

so scary
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                    From what I understand this warning has been out since 2007, why on earth people are still purchasing them is beyond me!
                    OMG is this still going on?

I've quit buying the jerky from Costco and don't recall ever buying any from Petco. Ya have to be very careful as they're pretty sneaky with labeling.

So Petco is still selling the known poison because "they're allowed to." That's disgusting. I'm sure upper management would claim "We have no knowledge of these issues."

Comment

When I was at Petco around Christmas, I noticed that they're carrying a lot more brands that are made in the US, but they still do have some of the Chinese made treats. BJ's pulled their Beefeaters chicken jerky for a while, but it's back on the shelf now, still made in China (my mom used to buy those all the time, but I made her stop). I was able to find some at Walmart (Dingo Market Cuts) that are made in USA and have no added sugar, etc. They have a few other brands that are made in the US, but they have added sugar or other fillers. I buy most of my treats at a local feed store now though. They carry a lot of high quality brands, and most say where they're made on the label, and if I have any questions about anything, I can ask the owner or her daughter.
                      Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

I also complained to Costco, they did pull the chicken jerky made in China but then replaced them with a bunch of treats made in Thailand, which probably isn't much better. I called them and asked them why don't they just sell treats made in the USA that way they won't need to worry so much about recalls or any problems. There are so many Made in US treats they can choose from, I told them I or most of my friends would be buying our treats elsewhere until they switch.

Comment

Working...
                        X