Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to forum, looking for suggestions

Originally posted by hwilhelm View Post
    One tip, get your meter before the vet visit. That way vet can compare your meter with the meter he/she uses. My old meter registered 40 points lower than one at vet's office. There was only an 18 point difference when Mindy's bg levels were lower.

Heidi
    will do....thanks. Any suggestions on the brand or type that works well for everyone?
    Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Lots of people on here use the One Touch Ultra.... Me included and it has worked well. Strips are pretty pricey, but you can get them cheaper on eBay or amazon.

Craig is the authority on LOTS of different kinds of meters. You could always message him

Good luck today!!
      Sandy

Comment

I very strongly recommend the OneTouch Ultra2. That's their main full-size model. I suggest NOT going to any other model from the same manufacturer, as the Ultra2 is the one really renowned for consistency and reliability. Luckily, once you get it set up (date and time, as instructed in the manual), that's pretty well it; after that, the meter tells you right on the display what to do when.

The OneTouch Ultra is the older model, not manufactured any more, so the current full-size model is the Ultra2. There are others as well, but I think the Ultra2 is the one to get.

Besides, its consistency makes it really useful.

You'd probably want to start with about 50 strips (at least), as you'll waste a few while learning.

But check out the leads here to testing BG levels, and also, there's excruciating detail here:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/bgtest.php

Do yell for assistance if/when you need it, and lots here will help guide you!
        Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:04:56 (PDT)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

I agree on the OneTouch Ultra2. I has a good track record for consistency. All human meters typically measure your dog's blood sugar a bit lower that actual due to the difference in size/shape of a dog's red blood cell. And that difference gets smaller with lower blood sugar.

Amazon is the cheapest place I've found thus far for the Ultra2 meter at about $20 including shipping. Retail runs around $60. I also buy my test strips on ebay for about 47 cents a strip (including shipping). Often I can get them for less if I'm patient and catch a good day. Just watch for factory sealed boxes and good expiration dates.

Depending on where you think you'll test on your dog, I like the AccuChek Softclix lancing device. I use the lip stick method and these lancets work well for that area. http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

If you are using a thicker place, many like the larger gauge lancets (the lower the number, the larger the lancet) such as 25 gauge to get a good drop of blood.

If you don't get your meter and master testing before this vet visit, don't stress. It took us a while to find the right "sweet spot" for testing.

Take care,
          Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Just got back from the vet with spirit. His BG was 264 after a 12 hour fast. He still has a slight urinary tract infection so he is back on a 7 day antibiotic regiment.

Since he fasted for 15 hours, the vet decided to do alot of blood work just to make sure he can rule out any other causes of the elevation in sugar. We also took in a first in the morning urine sample and indeed it did have sugar in it. I really like my vet and the fact that he wants to be cautious before we have to drop him off for 3 days to begin the insulin injections. We should have the results of the blood work up back either Wednesday or Thursday so I will let you all know those results too.

My wife was with me today and this has hit her a bit harder than me since I was somewhat prepared for the diagnosis. The hardest part will be not having him with us for 3 days......as I said working out of the house means Spirit is literally with us 24/7. I'm hoping he will let me visit and walk him each day to reduce the stress of being apart (for both of us).

I guess the blessing is that 7 weeks ago he had completely normal blood levels on the CBC so we have hopefully caught this very early. I guess I'll be a regular here now looking for support and great information. We plan to take the motorhome to Florida on Christmas Eve so it will be good that we have a couple of months to try and get things regulated. At this point, he doesn't want me to do any home testing until they can get the BG curve done at the hospital.

We are looking at taking him in on November 14th for the start of his stay unless the blood work tells us something different.

Thanks again, this site has been a great comfort.
            Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

What is the vet going to do for three days with your dog? I do not mean to question your vet, as I'm not the one examining the dog (nor do I have a vet degree), but my vet never did this with my dog. As a matter of fact, I'm still working toward regulation, and it's been several months.

What I'm getting at is a question (not a judgment or opinion) - is your vet planning some sort of intensive regulation treatment to get your dog going on insulin, or is there some other reason to keep your pup for 3 days?

Hope you don't mind the intrusion. I am curious about this. Thanks!
              Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Welcome Jim!

I was the same situation as you back in May, when I had to leave Abby at the vet's for 3 days, and I too work out of the home, so she is with me 24/7. I missed her alot, and I was not allowed to see her, nor did they keep in touch with me (even after calling 2x a day0... since then, I have switched vets. When I picked Abby up, she sat in the seat next to me, looked at me sidewise, (as if to say, I'm not speaking to you), and then about 5 minutes later just complained.... continued to bark all the way home. I think she was yelling at me!!

I have the One Touch Ultra2, like most on the forum, and absolutely love it, but I will say it did take some time in getting the blood sample right the first time, but that just takes practice, so do not discourage, if you should have any problems.

Just wanted to give a warm welcome....
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hey Jim

I'm also a little confused on the 3 day stay?? has your vet NOT started Spirit on insulin as of yet??
                  When Tiggy was diagnosed, we got the instructions that day to start insulin, what kind, how much, feeding etc. we did take her back for a curve about a week later, but that was just for the day.
                  Some dogs regulate quickly..... Others never do at all

Sandy

Comment

I'm going to question the vet about the stay also....his explanation to me was that they are able to give the insulin and create a curve each day and night so that after 3 days he will be confident to have the right "starting" dose. He said he has done it both ways, letting the dog go home and keeping them for 3 days. He has had much better luck in regulating the amount when he keeps them. Also, I live in a rural area and the vet is 30 minutes from my home. I'm sure he would do it either way if I insisted on trying at home. Being new to this he wants to improve my chances for success and get the initial dosing right.

He then said I would be bringing him in once a week (unless I have an issue) for the next month and once we get it somewhat regulated it will be check-ups every 3 months. I'm a bit overwhelmed as I said, so your questions to me are helpful for me to then ask the vet. I will be talking to him again on Wednesday (26th) to get the blood test results so I can ask him about the stay. I also get the sense that he knows I am nervous about this.

Comment

You know I've been working on regulating since June 1 and I see some benefit to your vets plan if you can pay for it. Seems like with some intensive work on his part he might be able to get you farther down the road than if you try yourself but on the other hand my experience with going slowly is that it is a very slow process where any change in insulin needs a few days to settle in before knowing how it affects your dog.

Again I'm not questioning your vet. This process he is suggesting with the 3 day stay and weekly testing might be a very effective way to get regulation, if you can pay for it.
                      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I'm personally not a fan of regulating a dog in the hospital. The environment isn't the same as at home so the response can be quite different, they may not be willing to eat like they would at home, and, perhaps most important, three days really isn't long enough for the body to adjust to being on insulin so I don't think you get an accurate picture of the response.

I personally prefer a safe starting dose - around 1/5 of a unit per pound - started at home.

Have you considered home blood glucose testing?

You could start that now and monitor his blood sugar and then if he goes on insulin you can do curves and test him at home.

I know that might be overwhelming to consider right now. But it would allow you to give him the careful monitoring the vet wants from the hospital setting while he's in his own home with his normal routine.

He may also need to start on a very small dose of insulin if the diabetes has been caught really early. In which case home monitoring would also be very important to check for low blood sugar due to honeymooning.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/dogdiabeteshoneymoon.html

I'm glad the vet is flexible on this. That way, you can do what works best for you and Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by jim maceri View Post
                          I really like my vet and the fact that he wants to be cautious before we have to drop him off for 3 days to begin the insulin injections. My wife was with me today and this has hit her a bit harder than me since I was somewhat prepared for the diagnosis. The hardest part will be not having him with us for 3 days......as I said working out of the house means Spirit is literally with us 24/7. I'm hoping he will let me visit and walk him each day to reduce the stress of being apart (for both of us).

Abby's Mom: ....I was the same situation as you back in May, when I had to leave Abby at the vet's for 3 days, and I too work out of the home, so she is with me 24/7. I missed her alot, and I was not allowed to see her, nor did they keep in touch with me (even after calling 2x a day0... since then, I have switched vets.
                          HUH, ... what's with the 3 day stints?

No visitors????
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                            HUH, ... what's with the 3 day stints?

No visitors????
                            I know!!! I wish I knew about this forum prior to dropping her off. After all of this, their home instructions where;

1. Give 10 units once a day
                            2. Doesn't matter if she eats or not.
                            3. No scheduled needed.
                            4. See you in a week.

Ugh! I left there in a hurry, and then found this forum, found a new vet. It has been a godsend.
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                              I know!!! I wish I knew about this forum prior to dropping her off. After all of this, their home instructions where;

1. Give 10 units once a day
                              2. Doesn't matter if she eats or not.
                              3. No scheduled needed.
                              4. See you in a week.

Ugh! I left there in a hurry, and then found this forum, found a new vet. It has been a godsend.
                              Don't blame you.

I was kind of startled, .... never heard of that before.

Now, Otis was there 3 days, ... but with IV's in his arms to get rid of the ketones and get the ultra high sugar down.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Just ordered my ultra 2 monitor, strips and lancets from amazon. Going to start checking when it arrives. I would rather do this at home and drive the dog in 3 times a day if needed then leave him. I know he will stress if I do that. Just after todays visit he is acting weird....

Comment

Working...
                                X