Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ricky

Originally posted by Judi View Post
    My non-diabetic dog is annoying in the car. There were some type of drops Tammi had recommended we got off of Amazon that I think helped him. I'll look at lunch for the name.
    Remedy Rescue may be the ones. I use to give those to Abby for Thunderstorms, and they seemed to help.

Good luck on your trip. We took Abby quite a few different places, as I never let her diabetes stop us from traveling. She did very well, and I know she loved to go. She slept most of the time, but I remember shots/food along the way. I used the Frio bags to keep the insulin the right temperature, and it lasted about 36 hours without any cooler.

One other handy item was a needle cutter (purchased at walmart and it would hold about 100 needle nibs), that way I could disgard the needles in the trash, and no need to worry on how to dispose of them.

Have a nice trip.
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

thank you! Rescue Remedy that's it. It did seem to calm Ranger down.

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
      Remedy Rescue may be the ones. I use to give those to Abby for Thunderstorms, and they seemed to help.

Good luck on your trip. We took Abby quite a few different places, as I never let her diabetes stop us from traveling. She did very well, and I know she loved to go. She slept most of the time, but I remember shots/food along the way. I used the Frio bags to keep the insulin the right temperature, and it lasted about 36 hours without any cooler.

One other handy item was a needle cutter (purchased at walmart and it would hold about 100 needle nibs), that way I could disgard the needles in the trash, and no need to worry on how to dispose of them.

Have a nice trip.
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

We've driven from Utah to Texas and back a couple of times and learned some things the hard way. I know every dog is different, but I've found that when he's in a car, Jeb's numbers generally go down if he's awake and up if he's sleeping. He loves traveling and stays awake most of the time, so I test a lot and give him extra snacks to keep him stable. Another thing that affects him is that his exercise is such a different type than normal. At home I take him for fairly long walks when his blood sugar is rising after eating and it's part of our everyday plan. When we're traveling, it's short walks but more frequent and not based just on his numbers but also on our need for gas, food, etc. Which reminds me - my husband was a little upset one time that we couldn't stop at a restaurant because it would have been too hot for Jeb in the car - you might not have that problem in the spring, but it would be good to have extra snacks for yourself too. We also found a non-spill water bowl at an RV store.

Have a great trip and be safe!
        Jeb & Glennys - 10-year-old collie mix, 54 lbs., diagnosed June 2012. 11.5 units Novolin N twice a day. Tested with Relion Prime and AlphaTrak2. Eats Hills WD.

Comment

Last month we drove non stop 25 hours with Jake and Jazzy. I did as many did here. Pre measured food into individual bags. Water bottles. I was surprised they drank more water than usual. Insulin, meter, strips, etc. in a separate insulated bag. I had another container with all their medicine. I think their stuff took up more space than ours! I also worried about the dogs getting away from us so I made sure their collars had our cell phone number and for Jake that he was diabetic and needed insulin.

Jake
          13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
          At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Teresa!! Long time no see Soo glad to hear Ricky is still doing well. Your Ricky Ricardo was diagnosed about a year before my Ali-girl. Unfortunately she passed from a brain tumor in Oct '12 at age 13.

I did a search for some of my traveling posts that had pictures. Here are 2:
            http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4399
            http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...ter#post116760

Like Jeb, Ali would drop with activity on trips but her bg would rise if she was still and sleeping more. Was a challenge on long trips for us to manage her diabetes and routine. But she was a fragile diabetic. On the personality side, she was a great traveler and adapted so well to our many moves/changes.

Great to hear from you,
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thank you all so much for the suggestions....it helps me remember if I hear it from someone else! Ad that is an amazing idea about the collar. That could be a lifesaver. I will keep everyone up to date on how it goes!

Comment

I'm ordering a collar too with our cellphones numbers and our daughter's
                Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

I just have a quick question. Admittedly, I have been out of the loop for a while, but I was just browsing a facebook page for diabetic doggies, and someone asked about their dog's bg at 382. They were told by a member there that it was midrange. I know that a lot depends on the timing of that reading in relation to food, insulin, etc., but I would never call 382 a mid range reading. Am I off base here....maybe this is something I need to re-evaluate?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksma View Post
                    I just have a quick question. Admittedly, I have been out of the loop for a while, but I was just browsing a facebook page for diabetic doggies, and someone asked about their dog's bg at 382. They were told by a member there that it was midrange. I know that a lot depends on the timing of that reading in relation to food, insulin, etc., but I would never call 382 a mid range reading. Am I off base here....maybe this is something I need to re-evaluate?
                    I think most of us wouldn't call 382 as mid range, maybe medium HIGH. I think some vets are OK with numbers in the 300 for those who are not home monitoring to be sure the pup doesn't go to low. Those of us who home monitor can aim for a lower 100-250 range because we are active in the treatment.

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksma View Post
                      I wouldn't...and it's because of constant readings in the 300's that I've taken a couple steps back. I was getting worried that after a couple months in that range, Vinny wasn't getting any better and his cataracts seemed to be getting worse. I definitely would agree with Craig...medium-high maybe.
                      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
                      X