Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Nima's crazy journey

Thank you so much for your insight, I had no idea that she was actually going a bit fast. I guess I am thinking with my human RN brain a lot and I feel like we're moving too slowly.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I would get Mom on board with everything - I know it is tough but if she wants the best for Nima, she needs to be stringent about the details. The weight will come back when the food and insulin get in balance. It really isn't a matter of food at this point. She could feed tons of food but if it is not working with the insulin, he won't gain much weight at all.

I am anxious to see the curve but with the insulin switch and the meds, it might not be info that will be as useful as under normal circumstances but it is worth doing.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 PM

Amydunn19,

I agree, it won't really be beneficial but it will be interesting. I am definitely going to do a repeat curve once the antibiotics are finished. The good thing is by the time the antibiotics are done we'll know if whether or not to highly suspect Cushing's too.

I am going to try and have the vet talk to my mom one on one about the feeding times on Monday, I think this will really help hearing it from a professional v.s. her 27 year old daughter

Last edited by parisa; 01-15-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisa View Post
Amydunn19,

I agree, it won't really be beneficial but it will be interesting. I am definitely going to do a repeat curve once the antibiotics are finished. The good thing is by the time the antibiotics are done we'll know if whether or not to highly suspect Cushing's too.

I am going to try and have the vet talk to my mom one on one about the feeding times on Monday, I think this will really help hearing it from a professional v.s. her 27 year old daughter
Hi again parisa,

I think I remember reading somewhere that hypothyroidism can cause hair loss you described earlier too. Has that been ruled out? I don't remember reading anything about that, but I could be wrong .

Sometimes hearing things from a professional can help alot. Bazzle and I still live my dad, and when Bazz was first diagnosed I had to drag him into the vet's office for them to help me lay down the law (ironicly enough, I'm 27 too). Sometimes I still have to remind him that even a few treats can mess up his BG levels.

I hope those antibiotics are making Nima feel better . Good luck with everything, we're here for you,

Audrey & Bazzle
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 AM

Hi Auddog!

His thyroid hasn't been tested yet either. They are going to that along with a repeat CBC, BMP, UA, UC, and then finally urine cortisol & thyroid. You are absolutely right, he also has signs of hypothyroidism, but with his skin stuff going on too, I feel like it's more likely Cushing's? This is just my hunch, who knows, I will let everyone know once his labs come back through for sure.

Nima's mood is so much better. He has been improving in every way possible (mood wise, stool formation wise, appetite wise, which surprisingly he never exhibited polyphagia)... except for his BG levels.

Funny we're both 27. I am an RN and my younger sister is a 3rd year medical student and we both explain things to our mom but she never listens...
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Default Nima's curve

Hi all,

Below I am posting Nima's curve. It is not the best in terms of gathering information because 1. He is being treated for a UTI 2. He had some blood in his pee so we took him to the vet at 2:00 PM. 3. We suspect he has Cushing's as well (I reviewed his lab work and his ALP levels have been consistently very, very elevated 1288 when he was in DKA and then 822 when DKA resolved.)

The good news is he is now 61.6 lbs!

0645 AM 1 can of Royal Canin diabetic wet food, 1 can of "Hunk of Beef". 14 units NPH given

0745 BG: 468

0945 BG: 325

1000 1 can of Royal Canin diabetic wet food, 1 can of chicken (from Costco, it is only chicken and water, Internist recommended for weight gain)

1145 BG: 230

1200 walk, noticed some blood in urine.

1345 BG: 221, 1 can of chicken given. Taken to the vet for a UC & UA at 1400

1530 BG: 303, returned from the vet ate 1 can of Royal Canin diabetic wet food, 1 cup of Royal Canin diabetic dry food

I will post the rest of the curve in a bit but just wanted write this down before I pass out for a little nap.

I know this seems like a lot of food but Nima has a goal weight of 75 lbs, and he was 50 lbs as of 12/13/13. The Internist has approved his diet & snacks. We are going to try and get him closer to a twice day feedings with just 1 snack in the middle. Once we can do this I am going to perform a repeat curve on my own.

Thanks for your feedback, opinions, advice. You all are great!

Last edited by parisa; 01-16-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Kind of hard to tell much from this day. You gave food at several times which probably affect the results. I agree that pure chicken might not make a rapid change in BGs, but I'm sure it will have some effect. Seems to me that anything that gets digested will eventually get converted into glucose??? Don't really know

At least you got some good practice testing

Craig
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Yes it's hard to get a good idea of what is going on when he is in the "need to gain weight mode". Before the NPH he wouldn't eat at all it was really bad (this was right before he went into DKA). Now he at least has an appetite and is putting on weight. The thing that I am happy about is that he is at least responding to the insulin somewhat, I was afraid for a bit that he wasn't responding at all.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Founding Member

actually the 10 am meal probably kept his numbers fairly flat for the rest of the day off that hard drop from the beginning sometimes added snacks and meals can be helpful

just to put it out there this dose maybe to much when or if you decide to remove the extra meals . it is possible the extra meals maybe helpful

numbers actually look pretty good to start
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM

The numbers look pretty good, considering all the food spaced out throughout the day. It may be a matter of timing those meals too. It is very interesting - I have never seen that many meals spaced out during the day. When you do cut out those extra meals, he may not need that much insulin as jesse girl pointed out.