Noodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Noodle

It's good to hear from you! You have been on my mind recently...

CONGRATULATIONS on your two-year anniversary!

I went back just a few pages... I wonder if Noodle's triglycerides may have risen? Dogs with high triglycerides tend to have higher and less stable blood sugar.

I believe there is also a connection between Cushing's and triglycerides but it could be one or the other or both. If you get to the point of testing for Cushing's you want the ACTH test first and I personally would have them draw enough blood do the UTK panel in case the cortisol comes up normal but they still think he's got some kind of Cushing's type syndrome going on.

I have long thought it's the rare folks like you who suffer most from their dog's higher blood sugar! Those of us whose dogs never had great blood sugar are grateful for whatever we can get!! Nothing for us to miss. But when you've had a diabetic dogs with normal blood sugar, it is indeed very painful to lose it. I can remember one dog in particular whose person was tearing her hair out over blood sugar in the high 200s.

I've spent 7 years now on forums for diabetic dogs and I can count on no more than two hands, maybe just one, the number of dogs who have managed the kind of blood sugar Noodle has had. I don't know how many dogs I've "met" over the years but I know it's easily over 200. So that's a pretty small percentage.

Hope your trip is a fun trip and that you have fun!

Natalie

Comment

Ugh! I hate the fact that I made a reappearance only to disappear again so quickly. We just seem to be caught up in an endless negative cycle with no end in sight. Even today, before it was time to give Noodle his morning shot, we had a family member with a trip to the hospital by ambulance and major surgery scheduled, one of our cars break down, a legal crisis on the other side of the family, and a small catastrophe with our daughter. The phone was ringing off the hook and it got to the point where I didn't even want to answer it in order to avoid more bad news!

On a more positive note, Noodle's doing fine AND we had an F4 tornado blow right through our neighborhood and managed to escape any major damage. We have friends and neighbors who sustained major damage or lost their homes entirely. It looked like a bomb went off around here...just amazing to see. I can't understand how we managed to be so incredibly fortunate and I am grateful for it. But my heart is breaking for those who have lost so much. In our area, not a single person was killed, which was a true miracle! Homes can be rebuilt, new items can be purchased to fill them, but so much of what they lost were precious memories - pictures, videos, family heirlooms and momentos.

Thank you so much for the warm wishes and congrats on Noodle's anniversary after my last post. I miss all of you and credit this board and the wonderful people who helped us (and tried to calm my control freak butt down, lol) with his turn-a-round. I wish there was a way to include this web address with every vet diagnosis of diabetes..."here's your bill, an Rx for syringes, and the k9d website address".

My trip was fine (although I ended up with food poisoning...there's that endless negative cycle again), but the stress did screw with Noodle's numbers. I think as his main caretaker he was understandbly anxious about my leaving for days. He glued himself to my side as soon as I got out the suitcase. He followed me every step and it was adorable and pitiful all at the same time. I left early in the afternoon and he went into the 300's by that night. He bounced around the whole time I was gone, but settled back down within a day of my return.

Patty, Noodle's Denosyl is the 425mg dose, once a day. The vet just told us to go with the standard recommended dose for his weight (50lbs, so we use the size recommended for "large dogs over 35 lbs"). But I wonder if there are dogs with elevated liver values who are prescribed more than the average dose and whether there is evidence of more success with a higher dose? He's tolerated them wonderfully without any noticeable trend in BG effect, up or down. I originally ordered them from one of the online sites mentioned around this board and k9c, but they took forever to get here. Then I noticed Amazon ships the dosage size we need - good price and 2 days later they're here. I still order my test strips through them as well. Love Amazon!

After whining a bit about Noodle's numbers being higher now, I realized I'm really sounding a little nutty. While the 90's are unusual now, a typical day is still in the 125-165 range. Often he hangs all day in the 140's, so really not much to complain about. Today he was around 120 all day and then popped into the 160's by dinnner time - not unusual for him now to see higher BG in the evening. Could that evening increase in numbers connnect to Cushings, high triglycerides, or other increased lab values? I know there are many who would love to see those numbers with consistency, so we are still very fortunate. But Natalie, I think you're right. To have such tight control and then watch that consistency slip away is stressful. I'm ripping my hair out when he tosses me a day in the 200's. I just find it so frustrating that I can't find a pattern and correct it! On top of that, with his tight control and tendency to drop on vet visits, we haven't had much opportunity to compare our meter in the mid and higher ranges. It was very accurate on average in the lower numbers, but I suspect it's probably further off as the BG increases.

Believe it or not, we had ANOTHER banana peel episode this week! Good grief, it's embarrassing enough to tell people your dog ate one banana peel - but now two, lol? Our daughter ate a banana while getting ready to go out and carelessly tossed it into her already full bedroom trash can. He hangs around in there with her while she's getting ready, so it was a no brainer that he was going to snatch it right after she left. Had lovely numbers (110 - 125) during the day and then threw me a 285 at dinner. Well, since I've played this game before (lol) we went searching. Daughter found some slobby tissues on the floor or her room and I remembered the banana...bingo. Other than higher numbers for a day or two, no terrible effects again. So apparently banana peels may be pretty digestible...let our family sitcom be your reassurance if your dog ever sneaks a banana peel.

We have not done any Cushings testing yet, but will as soon as things settle down and our funds catch up...it's been a costly few months here and that will continue for another month or two, unfortunately. I'm sorry for the novel, but wanted to update and say "Hi". Need to call the hospital soon to check in on family members condition and then try to catch some sleep before the phone starts ringing again in the am.

To the long timers, I miss the comraderie and support and hope to be back more regularly when things settle down. To the newbies, you have stumbled upon a gift when you found k9d. Natalie, Patty, Peggy, and many others have walked the same road you now find yourselves on. Their experience, intelligence, and caring is genuine and something you can depend on. I know it's difficult in the beginning to receive information that may conflict with what you are initially told by your vet. Your mind is swirling with everything you are trying to understand, your beloved pet doesn't feel well and it breaks your heart, and you are stressed beyond belief. But take a deep breath, provide as much information as you can so they can help you, and surrender a little bit. Eventually the endless words on the page start to make sense, you learn how to connect the dots and learn how your dog processes insulin, food, and activity and before you know it, your dog is feeling better and has several chapters of "their book" written.

Much love, hugs, and belly rubs to everyone and their furbabies...you can decide for yourselves who wants the belly rubs.
      Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

It's so good to see you back, Daisy!

You HAVE been through the mill - glad you escaped the worst effects of the tornado - the weather-one, that is.

Hope everything settles for you soon!

I'll look forward to your more stable return and reports! Noodle has obviously been doing really well through all this!

Hugs,
        Fri, 6 May 2011 02:02:30 (PDT)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Daisy! Noodle! What a lovely surprise to find your post here this morning. And to know that Noodle is doing so well. If only your lives could emulate his a bit, hmmm?

In the path of a tornado... Wow, that's one of the two or three scariest things I can think of. Were you home at the time?

I don't know if the dog we have now could ever recover from experiencing a tornado first hand. Or me for that matter. I'd probably trade my house for an underground bunker.

You have convinced me that dull is good!

Natalie

Comment

Ugh! I just lost a long post and don't have it in me to try again tonight.

Short answer...yes, I was home and it wasn't fun. But we have a finished basement, so I did feel relatively safe. We have excellent warning systems around here and one of the storm sirens is only a block from our subdivision, so very easy to hear...even if you're asleep.

Honestly, I'm more freaked by your California earthquakes - guess it's fear of the unknown. I feel like I have warnings before a tornado hits and a fairly safe place to go. But I would NEVER live in a house without a basement anywhere in the midwest or south.

Thankfully, Noodle isn't really bothered by storms. He was a little anxious with the commotion & being forced into the basement, but took it all pretty well. Oddly, the constant emergency vehical sirens and helicopters for days on end didn't bother him a bit. That would have driven our first dog nuts - he howled right along with the alarms, every first Monday of the month when they tested the emergency sirens...every month for 10 years. Then right back to sleep, lol.

I'll try to post the rest another day.
            Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Daisy,

So nice to see you here again - but sorry you have been having such a turbulent time of it!

Everyone should move to Scotland, we have no idea what a tornado or earthquake is all we get is rain and mildly warm summer days with a bit more rain thrown in!
              Glad to hear that Noodle is doing well - every cloud has a silver lining as they say!

Allison & Alfie
              Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Oh Daisy,
                My cousin works at a hospital in the area and was delayed getting home that night. Good thing she was. I agree about the need for a basement. My sister moved south and when they built their home her one major requirement was a basement. Glad you all are ok.

I do hope things settle down for you all! Food poisoning, surgeries, car repair. Goodness, Daisy I'd say you're in line for some good luck to come your way .

While the 90's are unusual now, a typical day is still in the 125-165 range.
                Cushings, high triglycerides, or other increased lab values? I know there are many who would love to see those numbers with consistency, so we are still very fortunate.
                That's really pretty amazing yet and just doesn't scream Cushings to me. Has he had a lab panel recently? Yes, I do wish there was a green with envy smiley face over Noodles numbers. Ali would totally be wearing it. But I completely understand the frustration when things change.

Bet Noodle thought he'd hit the jackpot again with the banana peel, lol.

We miss you too Daisy. So glad you stopped by! Keep us posted.
                Patty
                Last edited by Patty; 05-09-2011, 05:44 AM.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

What a tolerant soul Noodle is! Now that we have Mr. Anxiety dog, even mild daily occurrences like walks are challenging. I can't imagine dealing with a tornado.

Natalie

Comment

Hello all - wanted to pop in, wish everyone a very happy new year, and update you on Noodle and something we stumbled upon recently.

Does anyone remember those mysterious skin infections and irritations we have battled on and off? Well, it DID turn out to be an allergy! Now the very first infection he had, that did turn out to be staph, I don't think we will every know what set that off. I still suspect irritation caused by the change in carpet cleaner. But after that it has been a pretty constant series of lumps, bumps, and mystery irritations. He would have little irritated patches, he started to develop those tiny bumps that some dogs get as they age (warts, skin tags?), and sometimes those looked like they were gettng irritated - almost like he scratched it and caught it with his nails.

We had been treating the minor irritations with Neosporin on a regular basis. It seemed like over time he was getting more and more of them and they were looking more irritated instead of better. That would lead to a round of antibiotics because it looked infected and the cycle continued. In the mean time, we were starting to get more erratic BG readings. Nothing extreme, but not the norm for anyone familiar with Noodle's tight regulation. So instead of daily norms of say 85 - 120, we started to have ranges of 140's to as much as mid 200's. I know that is still enviable in a lot of situations, but it was distressing to feel like we were losing that tight regulation and Noodle was NOT loving those higher numbers after being used to feeling essentially non-diabetic.

In late summer my husband suffered a severe burn that required treatment, which included antibiotic ointment. Long story short, his burn healed but he developed horrible irritation that spread over a much larger portion then the original small burn area. He went to more than one doctor until one finally suspected the ointment. It had a pain relief component and it turned out he was severely allergic to it! They had him do a test spot on a tiny part of his arm and he had the same severe reaction - in fact, he still has to treat that area weeks later!

It finally dawned on us that we were using Neosporin with pain relief on Noodle, and just maybe he was also reacting. Stopped using it and every bump and irritation he has had is now gone or healing! The little warts that looked like they were infected and growing larger have rapidly reverted back to tiny pale pink bumps and his fur is growing back on those spots. On top of that, his BG has settled back down to that oh-so-beautiful 85 - 120 range! Apparently, not only does his skin react to the pain relief component, but it also causes his BG to bounce.

I feel terrible that he went through that for an extended period of time, but so relieved we finally put the pieces of the puzzle together. I wanted to post about it here just in case anyone else is using Neosporin, or any other ointment with a pain relief ingredient, just in case they run into a similar pattern.

So with that problem resolved, the only continual symptom he has that could point to Cushings is the excessive water consumption and dilute urine. While his liver values have remained elevated, they have not increased and he continues to be his well regulated, happy-go-lucky self. We were able to increase his food to put a little weight back on him and he's looking great. Thus far, we haven't pursued further Cushing's testing and I'm very hesitant to do so since he is doing so well.

Has anyone had a dog diagnosed with diabetes insipidus? I know it's a long shot, but I'm considering seeing if the vet will agree to a short trial run of desmopressin to rule it out. It seems like a much more reasonable "do no harm" approach to eliminating another potential problem beofre going down the long road to Cushings diagnosis and establishing the correct treatment.

The doctor did a thorough check of his eyes and was thrilled to say not a thing has changed with his vision either. It will be 3 years this month since his diabetes diagnosis, vision still fully intact, and back to those low numbers he loves so much. I could not be happier and I am so grateful to have found this forum early in the process. The calm, logic, support, and reliable information found here is what convinced me in the first place that we had to be strong advocates for Noodle, learn everything we could, and then take the lead with his regulation. I wish every vet had to complete a Natalie led course of Canine Diabetes 101 before having their vet license issued!

Wishing all of you and your furbabies a wonderful 2012!!

Hugs & Belly Rubs,
                    Daisy & Noodle

Comment

oh noodle is me and jesses super hero when it comes to diabetes

just incredible normal numbers

its amazing how you discovered the problem if your husband did not get burned you may have never put 2 and 2 together

congrats and continued success
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Daisy! SO great to hear from you!!

Wow, what a round about way to figuring out what was going on. So glad you were able to pin point the cause.

I can't say I have a lot of knowledge on diabetes insipidus and its treatments. That was a possibility that was mentioned in Juliesmom's thread with her dog.

If you try the desmopressin, I would have lab work done before starting it and again after he's been on it awhile as it effects the eletrolyte balance.

List of side effects: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...N=side-effects

Keep us posted!
                        Patty
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Howdy! Never got to meet you or Noodle (what a great name!) but am SO glad you popped in to let us know how you are doing! It certainly gives more hope to myself and other still relative newbies around here!

And what a round-a-bout way to find an allergy! But seriously...that is the exact type we always use! Haven't had much problem but I think we'll switch off just the same. Why court a potential allergy when we already have enough problems with them as it is!

Thank you so much for telling us all about it! You've probably saved a few dogs here and out there some pain and suffering by letting us know.

And am also very glad Noodles (oh that is too great! I love it!) is doing so well! Yay! Good luck with the other stuff! Hugs!
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Daisy - great to hear from you & Noodle!!!!!

I would never normally say a thing like this but its a good thing your husband got that burn

Wishing you all the best for 2012

Allison & Alfie xx
                            Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

What a pleasure to find you and Noodle here - and with some good news about Noodle no less! I love it when you can sleuth out an answer that way.

Neomycin, which I believe is in Neosporin, is a pretty common allergen. Not sure why that antibiotic in particular is so often annoying. Chris was allergic to it so we had to use other kinds of ointments for anything like that. We learned that after putting ophthalmic neomycin in his eyes, which made them redder than they were before.

I really don't know anything about diabetes insipidus but it's certainly worth considering as the cause of the thirst and urination.

Natalie

Comment

Daisy,
                                Was just thinking of you and wishing for some news on Noodle. Thought I'd leave you a message for when you pop back in again.
                                Happy new year!
                                Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X