Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuckie's Story

Chuckie
    Chuckie is a larger sized Pomeranian who is 10 years old on Oct. 2012. Chuckie has been diabetic for 4 months and weights 18.2 lbs now. He was 22 and went down to 15 lbs. Presently he is getting 7 Units of Novolin N 2 x a day. He gets insulin at 7am and 6 pm just after eating. We are feeding him Merrick Working Dog Stew. He get a 1/3 to ½ can at each feeding. I test at home using the area around the base of the tail heated up with a wet dish towel in a plastic bag in the microwave. This is the hardest part for me as I get a lot of “not enough blood” readings. Chuckie has had reading above 600 in the first 2-3 weeks. He had pancreatic and stayed in the hospital for a week. We found out after an ultra sound that he has tumor on an enlarged liver although he never yelps when I pick him up 10 times a day. Our vet never stressed getting his glucose down quickly and Chuckie developed cataracts so quickly I couldn’t believe it. He then developed Vestibular disease which causes him to walk in circles. He’s better now at walking although he still tilts his head to the side. He developed an eye infection a few weeks after and we found out that he has glaucoma also.

Questions: I still don’t have his glucose levels perfected. Many times he is up around 315 before he eats. I have him on 7 Units of Novolin N and he weighs 18.2 lbs . He was 22lbs when he developed diabetes and 15 lbs at his lowest. So this is right in the middle. We just got switched by Walmart from Humalin NPR a week ago and I am getting sporadic reading in the low 400s after around 3-4 good days. At times lately he won’t eat his food. So I give him chicken breast and now he won’t eat this. But he always do eat a fried and then boiled hamburger. I am shooting for 425 calories a day with his weight being 18.2 lbs. and probably doesn’t walk more than 30 yards a day. Does this mean he did not get enough insulin the period before or that it didn’t last the full 12 hours? Or is a late night snack screwing things up?
    Because he has a liver tumor, I’m wondering if he is becoming insulin resistant. For his weight they says that he would not be considered Insulin Resistant until 12.4 to 13.5 Units per day but it just seems that he is going to higher amounts.
    He is on a half a can of Merrick’s Working Dog Stew and at night it seems that whenever he’s near me when I’m eating he acts like he’s starving. So I give in to him and it’s not much but the next day his numbers are very high. I really don’t give him much. He was 15 lbs.at the lowest and has gained 3 lbs. Should I be giving him anything after 6 pm?
    I have almost given up on him trying to take him for a walk because of his loss of sight. He does walk around outside a very small amount but inside he just stays on the couch when we’re home and stays in the bedroom when we are away. Any suggestions.
    Medicine 7 units of Novolin N Insulin 2 x a day
    Merrick Working Dog Stew
    Latanoprost for Glaucoma 1 drop at bedtime
    SAM-e 200 mg and 500mg of Milk Thistle in place of Denamarin, 66% saving bought separately from Puritan Vitamins Given with yogurt for the milk thistle and peanut butter with the Sam-e. Should I avoid the peanut butter or yogurt? It’s only a ½ tp of peanut butter.
    Last edited by tmaslanka; 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM.
    Tom & Chuckie: Diagnosed 7/1/12 18.5lbs. Pomeranian 10 years old 7 Units Novolog 2 x day / Merrick Working Dog Stew / I'm Tom and we live in Ardmore Pa. outside Philadelphia.

Re: Chuckie's Story

Welcome to you and Chuckie.

Regulation can take some time, and during this time, it is adviseable to not provide ANY treats whatsoever. In addition, it is always a good idea to be very consistent with food, in fact some of us will not only measure, but also weigh food to be sure of its consistency. Insulin shots are typically give 12 hrs apart.

Any infection will give erratic blood glucose readings, so normally this would be the first course of action, to make sure that Chuckie does not have any infections, you mention an eye infection, is he still dealing with that. Steriods, if given for the infection can also have an impact on Glucose, and can make them rise.

If you have any curves to share, that is always a great place to start.

Again, welcome to you..

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

First, don't beat yourself up over the eye problems (or other problems). Cataracts are very common in diabetic pups. I believe they may be developing even before the first indication of the diabetes, so you wouldn't have had any way of knowing ahead of time. My Annie developed cataracts quickly also. We had surgery and she kept sight in one eye for several years until glaucoma developed overnight and took the rest of her sight. Most dogs cope well with blindness. Annie still likes to go on short walks, and chases a thrown squeaky toy. It might take her a few seconds to find it, but she seems to be just as happy blind as she was before!

Highly suggest you feed only twice a day, 12 hours apart. The important thing is to be as consistent as possible. It's tough when they don't want to eat, but it's tough getting good glucose control when the meals are not the same. Many of us use a kitchen food scale to insure identical amounts of food. Annie almost never gets anything between meals because one small dog style treat would cause her BG to soar.

Have you done a blood glucose curve? Testing before breakfast, and then about every two hours until the next meal / injection. The curve might be able to show if there is just not enough insulin, or if it's running out before the next injection. I can almost guarantee you that a late night snack is NOT helping!
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hello and welcome to you and Chuckie! Sounds like he has had a rough go of things lately. Glad he is home with you and trying to get back to a normal, healthy routine. Congrats on home testing him!

Knowing he had pancreatitis and seeing him not eat would make me concerned about a flare up - has your vet expressed any concerns over the pancreatitis returning?

Also wonder how many units Chuckie was on when he was down to 15 pounds? Thinking out loud here - if he was on 7u then and is on 7u at 22 pounds, perhaps the gained weight would warrant a need for more insulin? Same question with the amount of dog food - has that been increased when insulin units have not been? Every dog is different so neither may make a difference - just tossing some ideas out there.

Wishing you the best in this new journey of yours! Holli
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum! I copied your thread into the Discussion forum where more people will see it and respond.

The K9 Stories section here is a great place to start but is often used more to post about your dog's "story" for others to read, whereas the discussion section is more active and is a better place to get responses during the regulation process.

You can find Chuckie's thread here:
          http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4220

Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
          X