new to k9 diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to k9 diabetes

Hi my name is Sherry. My 8 year old rottie was just diagnosed. Her insulin was just increased to 14 units. Her glucose was 537 today. I would love some recommendations on how to regulate her sugar.

Re: new to k9 diabetes

A little more info would be helpful. What is your dog's weight? What kind of insulin? You said the vet raised it to 14, how much were you giving before? And how much are you feeding and when?

I recommend hometesting. So you might want to look into a glucose meter. Human meters are adequate but there's a meter for animals called the alphtrak.

You can get NPH insulin at Walmart, if that's the kind you're using.

We have lots more tips but need to know more about your dog.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Hi sherry and welcome. U have found an awesome forum with incredible knowledge. Some things some of the members will want to know. How much does ur boy weigh,what do u feed him,when do u feed and give insulin,what kind of insulin and do u home test...u will find unparalleled help from this forum. Good luck,go slow and every pup is different. Hope to hear from u soon.
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Sherry, welcome to you and your rottie!

We'd love to hear more about her. As Jackie and Cebe said a little more information will help us better offer suggestions

- How much does she weigh?
        - What type of insulin is she on? Is it twice a day, 12 hours apart?
        - What was her dose raised from to the current 14u?
        - What type of food is she eating?
        - Did your vet do a full curve where blood sugar is tested before food/insulin then every 2 hours after until next shot time? or just testing once as a spot check before raising doses?

Very glad to have you here!
        Patty
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Welcome Sherry!!

Sandy

Comment

Thank you Sandy

Comment

Hi Everyone -

My rotties name is Diamond and she is 8. We just found out a few weeks ago that she has diabetes. Her glucose was over 500 and still is. Vet started her at 10 units 2x day of Novalin N. I give her two meals a day at 7am and 7pm followed with her insulin. She is now up to 14 units. I just started this morning with home glucose test she was at 292 fasting first thing this am. I am now feeding her twice a day with Authority weight management. I put a little bit of chicken broth through her food so she eats entire meal. I hope to have her glucose down soon so she will feel better! She is currently 86 lbs. She lost a few lbs recently. She was 89 lbs a few weeks ago, but at her check-up last years she was 94 lbs. So I am assuming she lost due to diabetes.

Love to hear suggestions. Thank you. Sherry
              Last edited by sherryv229; 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM. Reason: forgot few details

Comment

Welcome to you and diamond!

Sounds like you are doing pretty good. Home testing already! What meter are you using? I think 14 units is a pretty good starting dosage for Diamond. You will probably need to stay at 14 units for a few days. Are you taking her back to the vet next week?

Please understand a single blood test doesn't tell a whole lot. Their blood glucose (BG) can vary by well over 100 points (even by 200) during the day in the beginning. So, after a few days at 14 units you might want to do a "curve" to see how the BGs vary throughout the day. A curve is a series of BG tests from just before breakfast, about every two hours, until just before dinner.

Try to keep everything consistent. Same food, same amount of food (many use a food scale), same amount of insulin, 12 hours apart. Try to avoid any snacks between meals.

I'm sure others will check-in with you later this evening.

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi Craig. Thanks for the info. I am using a free style lite. I tested Diamond for the first time at home this morning. She didn't seem to mind. We go back to the vet on Thursday. I hope glucose starts to come down soon! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you, Sherry

Comment

Hi sherry,
                    Good job on home testing. It gives peace of mind plus warning of low problems!! The 292 this a.m. is better than 500!! This all takes time,don't beat yourself up,it will happen. I have been 6 months and still working on it,but very happy with our progress!! U found the right place for help...
                    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

way to go on the home testing! Someone else (sorry I can't remember who) was giving chicken broth to their dog and found dextrose or something sugary in the ingredients. so take a peek, ok? welcome! Judi
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                        way to go on the home testing! Someone else (sorry I can't remember who) was giving chicken broth to their dog and found dextrose or something sugary in the ingredients. so take a peek, ok? welcome! Judi
                        I have always been scared of the canned broth. Buy some chicken and boil it, making home made broth you can use. It does make for a stinky house though.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hi Sherry,
                          I just wanted to throw in a quick welcome... Making your own chicken broth is the best, it stores in the refrigerator for about a week and you can also freeze what you don't use to get more time out of it. I find if I can get some skinless bone in chicken breast and throw them in my Crockpot with water it makes for a great stock plus if you don't use the chicken for your pup you can use it for yourself
                          Hang in there and Good Luck,
                          Dawn & Bogie
                          Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Working...
                          X