This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost and No. of Units per Bottle - NPH vs. Vetsulin

We could very easily determine whether NPH would save you money. There is a lot of variation in markup from the vets selling Vetsulin so that would be a factor - need to know how much your vet is charging you.

Vetsulin being more dilute, you get fewer injections out of the same size bottle.

Just for ease of comparison, let's use a 5 unit dose of insulin given twice a day so 10 units of insulin given every day.

In a 10 mL bottle of Vetsulin, there is a total of 400 units of insulin so if you used every last drop you would have 40 days of injections from that bottle.

In a 10 mL bottle of NPH, there is a total of 1,000 units of insulin so if you used every last drop you would have 100 days of injections from that bottle.

Even if the two bottles cost the same amount - let's say $30, which is about what NPH costs - the NPH bottle lasts 2.5 times longer, making it vastly less expensive. The Vetsulin would cost 75 cents a day while the NPH would cost 30 cents a day.

Natalie

Re: Jazzy Girl

Okay, so $37 for 400 units of insulin is 9.25 cents per unit.

Let's just round up and say Walmart's Relion brand is $25.00 for 1,000 units so that's 2.5 cents per unit.

That's almost 75% less expensive for NPH from Walmart!

If you bought Novolin N somewhere other than Walmart, it probably would be about $37 a bottle for 1,000 units of insulin, making it 3.7 cents per unit, still significantly cheaper than Vetsulin.

I doubt if your vet has ever figured the difference in cost when including the fact that there are fewer units of insulin in a 10 mL bottle of Vetsulin than in the same size bottle of NPH.

Comment

Re: insulin cost comparison

Our first vet was charging $55/bottle of Vetsulin....we switched vets....the new vet charges $33/bottle
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

My last vet charged me $37/bottle for Vetsulin. My new vets charge $45.

Comment

My vet charges 48 dollars a bottle i found it at 1-800-petmeds for 33..even at 19.00 shipping it is still 10 dollars cheaper a bottle..I work at fed ex so i get the cooler first thing in the morning and my husband comes picks it up and puts it in the fridge..THe more bottles you buy the cheaper it is..If you live close enough they will hold the package at the fed ex office where you can pick it up at 9am..I use vetsulin.Rufus is 65 pounds and up 22 units a day..so i go thru it fast..about every 10 days..

Comment

Lantus costs me $89 dollars a vile. I go thru a vile in about 34 days. It did go up $5 but then came back down $5. That's at Kroger Pharmacy. I received prices from $89 to $119.

Comment

I am currently using Humulin NPH to the cost of about $50 a bottle. This Relion from Walmart has caught my attention....does anyone know the cost per bottle and is there a difference between this and Humulin? Also, has anyone ever ordered from the online Canadian Pharmacies? I have looked into them and the cost is significantly cheaper but am looking for feedback if anyone has used them and how things worked out?

Comment

Originally posted by letskick23 View Post
                My vet charges 48 dollars a bottle i found it at 1-800-petmeds for 33..even at 19.00 shipping it is still 10 dollars cheaper a bottle..I work at fed ex so i get the cooler first thing in the morning and my husband comes picks it up and puts it in the fridge..THe more bottles you buy the cheaper it is..If you live close enough they will hold the package at the fed ex office where you can pick it up at 9am..I use vetsulin.Rufus is 65 pounds and up 22 units a day..so i go thru it fast..about every 10 days..

Have 800-petmeds match the price of Allivet.com $27.99 they did it for me.
                ~Kathy
                Drew 9 (6-25-02), Mara 5 (1-26-06) & Alana 9m (9-28-10)
                Kai 10 year old Weimaraner blind 2 years from diabetes(6-21-01)

Comment

Originally posted by harley's mom View Post
                  I am currently using Humulin NPH to the cost of about $50 a bottle. This Relion from Walmart has caught my attention....does anyone know the cost per bottle and is there a difference between this and Humulin? Also, has anyone ever ordered from the online Canadian Pharmacies? I have looked into them and the cost is significantly cheaper but am looking for feedback if anyone has used them and how things worked out?
                  I switched from Humulin NPH to Walmarts Relion NPH, the insulin is $21.99, I noticed no difference using the Walmart brand.

I get my heartworm tablets from Canada Vet.

Dolly
                  Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
                  X