Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New baby today

Sounds like the 2-year-old child just couldn't leave her be. I always remember a puppy and kitten my aunt got when her first child was about that age. The cat was so mellow... he could drag it around by an ear and the cat didn't care. The puppy, on the other hand, spent a full six months hiding under the couch...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Founding Member

Congratulations Denise. Lily is beautiful - I love that face. Happy to hear that everything is going well with her. Enjoy!!!! Hugs to you and the gang.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Founding Member

Thanks for the congrats! We are very happy!!! : )

Nat, you asked about her and other animals.

she was only around other dogs sometimes on weekends when they camped with friends. She'd never seen a cat but doesn't seem to care that they are here. The first couple days they sniffed her but she just stood there and let them. Now she has figured out that Goldie (who also sleeps with me) and Charlotte will run if chased so she IS! Lex and Liv bother Charlotte too and you know one teaches the others the bad stuff. They are more like kids than non-pet people realize!

She gets on the computer desk when I am gone and watches for me. It's very cute from the outside to see her there. It's also a sunny spot with a cat there and she was sharing! She was always kenneled or put in the bathroom when they left but I haven't used the kennel since last Sunday when we were at church and after Tuesday night she is now a bed dog too! LOL She doesn't take up much room! LOL

It's been great, she is a prepetual puppy!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Thanks for the congrats! We are very happy!!! : )

She gets on the computer desk when I am gone and watches for me. It's very cute from the outside to see her there. It's also a sunny spot with a cat there and she was sharing! She was always kenneled or put in the bathroom when they left but I haven't used the kennel since last Sunday when we were at church and after Tuesday night she is now a bed dog too! LOL She doesn't take up much room! LOL

It's been great, she is a prepetual puppy!
Denise - I'm awfully new here - about a week - but I'm a nut about all dogs - love the small ones; easy to care for in some ways (sometimes not so much!)

I looked at Lily's picture and just drooled! She is totally gorgeous.

I tell ya; I WISH people wouldn't place dogs with children so young, and so many of them. Children so young don't have the capacity for understanding "other," as in "other" (nor living) creatures - who might suffer pain. And they can't move quietly and slowly, either. This can be terrifying to any dog, possibly worst for small dogs.

But I'm totally delighted that Lily is yours now. I've read enough here in a week to get a good idea of how dedicated - and knowledgeable - the people here are. Despite the stress of reading through and following all your stresses - I can see all the heartwarming dedication, along with the successes you people achieve! (I've been on the edge of my chair for days, reading from start to finish, now through three or four threads on diabetic dogs; Cushings dogs too (Marianne; I read the entire thread on the Cushings forum about Pebbles.)

Kumbi and I, with Kwali (stroke dog) are doing fine for the moment. I know our tough days will come eventually; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If anybody needs an AnoDyne, or, I hope, a good laugh, I really hope you'd get a kick out of the pages linked by the URL in my signature. I treat this stuff - though it's a total and obvous joke - as sort of real, and I think thse anodynes do work - if you use them in your imagination.

I was also reading about Kiwi dying - my heart goes out to you, Marianne .People tend not to realize what may threaten a dog's health; heat stroke, I think, ia a possibility in that situation. People get their dogs ball-crazy, which turns out, after all, not to be such a hot idea, if I may make a very bad pun. That was months ago, but I only just read the thread. I think heat stroke would be consistent with that situation.

(So, anodynes for that, too.)

Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:20:11
Old 09-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Founding Member

Hi Carol!

Lily fit right in with my bunch. I've never had a dog this small. I have a Huskie, (Micah) a German Sheperd (Zeke) (they live a few minutes away in a 2 acre enclosed pen with their own "house" (a 10'x12' trailer) and an automatic cattle waterer that is big enough they can lie in it when they are hot. Either hubby or I see them twice a day and hubby takes them for rides and runs.

At home I have Reba, she is a spanial mix, not sure her age and ahs atypical Cushings. Lexi and Livi are Shih Tzu sisters and are 5 this Dec. Molly is a diabetic Chihuahua that has been with us for two years, I got her from Texas, a senior rescue. She is 8. Then Lily.

I lost Bogie to cancer in August, he was a 12 year old black schnauzer with diabetes (7 years) and atypical Cushings (3 years).

Then I have 12 cats indoors and feed 2 strays. This would be too long if I started listing the cats ages and names!

Do you have cats?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Founding Member

This is a little late Denise - but congrats on the new member of the family. I totally missed this thread! Hope things are going well with her now, it's been close to a month now! Jody
Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Founding Member

Sorry I'm late but as someone posted TOO CUTE, ah she is so cute, cute, too cute, what a lil baby and I like her name.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Founding Member

Lily has been here a month and all is well. She has learned what cats you CAN chase and which ones you should stear clear of! Bubba likes to torment her when he makes his wild dashes through the house then he ends up on a dining room chair with her on the floor barking and reaches down to smack at her. She is really quick and hasn't been smacked yet. Not sure if that is a good thing or not!

Bogie's been gone 9 weeks! I can't believe that. Did I tell you that I heard him bark on the day I brought Lily here? Hubby swears he's heard him too. I told Bogie that he's have to really make some noise or it gets lost in all the noise here and I don't want to miss it.

Lily is a barker and a chaser. She sees and moving light (reflections, anything) and goes bonkers. If she was a big dog it would really be bad!

She's a sweetie and a cuddler when she isn't being the "wild thing".

Will be trying on her lady bug costume soon and will post her picture!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Administrator

I can't wait to see the Lady Bug costume!!